Surya Bonaly, FRA (fell in sp)
    Michelle Kwan, USA

Who Should have won?

LP

Nicole Bobek landed 4 triples including 3Lutz/3Toe
    Olga Markova landed 4 triples
    Lu Chen landed 5 triples
    Surya Bonaly landed 5 triples
    Michelle Kwan landed 7triples and 2 2Axels (3 combos overall)

Show 42

Re: 95 Worlds

.....if we go by the theory that it's possible that an outstanding skate can vault a skater into the top three (possibly even first), then Michelle should have had the win over less than stellar performances by Lu Chen and Nicole. Nicole had it wrapped up, but dropped off the pace and was lucky to get a bronze medal......42

sk8ing lady2001

I say Michelle.

Joesitz

Based on Technical, I would say Kwan, but as I remember it, they all had a nice presentation. So I can't really name a winner on the Technical alone.

Joe

StarChick99

Michelle Kwan!

Kindertotenlieder2

Chen Lu. She skated an actual program, a masterpiece imo, and the mistakes she made did not detract from the performance.

I think Michelle deserved to be on the podium somewhere (probably bronze) but didn't deserve to win. What a performance though!

heyang

It would've been very difficult for MK to go from 5th after the short to 1st place after the LP.

I remember thinking that MK should have gotten bronze over Nicole, but I don't think she should have won the world championship that year.

j02445

I voted for Michelle, but after thinking

Kremxx

Here were the standings after the short program in the 95 Worlds

Nicole Bobek, USA
    Olga Markova, RUS
    Lu Chen, CHN
    Surya Bonaly, FRA
    Michelle Kwan, USA

because of those standings it was quite easy for Michelle To win, Michelle at the worst should have been second in the LP with a clean performance in which she had, her presentation at that time was no worse than Surya Bonaly and I thought Silver was the worst she should have received.

Jules Asner

I think Lu Chen deserved the win, but I think Michelle should have gotten the bronze medal, rather than 4th place. Nicole started out well but then almost literally fell apart at the seams.

rgirl181

Lu Chen. She had increased her technical ability and artistry enourmously. Michelle was still a "jumping bean" and (sorry Kwan fans) skated like a little kid. Maybe the bronze. But as I remember it, because of the scoring system, Michelle's great skate enable Bonaly to win the silver. Bonaly, it is reported, thanked Michelle for skaing so well that it enabled her to win the silver.

BronzeisGolden02

Chen Lu

As I remember it, Surya actually landed seven triple jumps in the free skate, including a triple flip - triple toe and a triple toe-half loop-triple salchow. The music was horrible, like Irina's free skate music from 97, but she had a lot of energy and was technically superb.
    Nicole fell apart and Markova followed suit, but Chen Lu was outstanding. She was the class of the field that night in Birmingham. Her artistry was wonderful, setting the stage for her Rachmoninov masterpiece in 96. Gold was the only medal Chen Lu deserved that night.
    And even though I am a diehard Kwan fan, I think fourth is where she belonged (she was third in the free skate). She was great in Birmingham, had a lot of energy and improved artistry, but wasn't up to matching Chen Lu in overall presentation. And technically, Surya skated the more difficult program, but I've never really been a huge fan of hers. Except for her 94 Olympic short, which I thought showed a lot of potential and suited her perfectly.
    Overall, I think the judges did their jobs in this event. I was pleased with the outcome. Michelle didn't medal, but was third in the free skate with a wham-bang performance, thus leaving a very memorable impression in the mind of the skating community before the 95-96 season.

LADSKATER

Having recently rewatched the 95 Worlds, I can safely say Lu Chen deserved to win. Michelle was new on the scene, the "new kid on the block" she still had to earn her stripes. Also she had not developed her artistic side at this point. Her program was technically good, but there was no connection to the music.

Lu Chen on the other hand floated across the ice. Toller Cranston choreographed her program and it was perfect for her. She was inspired.

Nichole unfortunately came apart in the long program and runied her chances. She did skate well in the short.

As far as I am concerned the right skater won this time.

Ladskater

TimGoebelsGirl

I'm sticking with Michelle. I know, coming from me, that's a typical answer, b ut she had the best program. The only reason she didn't get a medal was because of her age.

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I agreed with the placements of the LP, but I diagreed with the SP placements.

I thought MK should have been at least 4th in the SP. Surya was really bad in the SP, she fell, she traveled on her spins, she had horrible spirals (even MK's spirals were better, eventhough MK's extention wasn't great), and she looked tired.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast