Surya Bonaly, FRA (fell in sp)
Michelle Kwan, USA

Who Should have won?

LP

Nicole Bobek landed 4 triples including 3Lutz/3Toe
Olga Markova landed 4 triples
Lu Chen landed 5 triples
Surya Bonaly landed 5 triples
Michelle Kwan landed 7triples and 2 2Axels (3 combos overall)

S

Show 42

Re: 95 Worlds

.....if we go by the theory that it's possible that an outstanding skate can vault a skater into the top three (possibly even first), then Michelle should have had the win over less than stellar performances by Lu Chen and Nicole. Nicole had it wrapped up, but dropped off the pace and was lucky to get a bronze medal......42

J

Joesitz

Based on Technical, I would say Kwan, but as I remember it, they all had a nice presentation. So I can't really name a winner on the Technical alone.

Joe

K

Kindertotenlieder2

Chen Lu. She skated an actual program, a masterpiece imo, and the mistakes she made did not detract from the performance.

I think Michelle deserved to be on the podium somewhere (probably bronze) but didn't deserve to win. What a performance though!

H

heyang

It would've been very difficult for MK to go from 5th after the short to 1st place after the LP.

I remember thinking that MK should have gotten bronze over Nicole, but I don't think she should have won the world championship that year.

K

Kremxx

Here were the standings after the short program in the 95 Worlds

Nicole Bobek, USA
Olga Markova, RUS
Lu Chen, CHN
Surya Bonaly, FRA
Michelle Kwan, USA

because of those standings it was quite easy for Michelle To win, Michelle at the worst should have been second in the LP with a clean performance in which she had, her presentation at that time was no worse than Surya Bonaly and I thought Silver was the worst she should have received.

J

Jules Asner

I think Lu Chen deserved the win, but I think Michelle should have gotten the bronze medal, rather than 4th place. Nicole started out well but then almost literally fell apart at the seams.

R

rgirl181

Lu Chen. She had increased her technical ability and artistry enourmously. Michelle was still a "jumping bean" and (sorry Kwan fans) skated like a little kid. Maybe the bronze. But as I remember it, because of the scoring system, Michelle's great skate enable Bonaly to win the silver. Bonaly, it is reported, thanked Michelle for skaing so well that it enabled her to win the silver.

B

BronzeisGolden02

Chen Lu

As I remember it, Surya actually landed seven triple jumps in the free skate, including a triple flip - triple toe and a triple toe-half loop-triple salchow. The music was horrible, like Irina's free skate music from 97, but she had a lot of energy and was technically superb.
Nicole fell apart and Markova followed suit, but Chen Lu was outstanding. She was the class of the field that night in Birmingham. Her artistry was wonderful, setting the stage for her Rachmoninov masterpiece in 96. Gold was the only medal Chen Lu deserved that night.
And even though I am a diehard Kwan fan, I think fourth is where she belonged (she was third in the free skate). She was great in Birmingham, had a lot of energy and improved artistry, but wasn't up to matching Chen Lu in overall presentation. And technically, Surya skated the more difficult program, but I've never really been a huge fan of hers. Except for her 94 Olympic short, which I thought showed a lot of potential and suited her perfectly.
Overall, I think the judges did their jobs in this event. I was pleased with the outcome. Michelle didn't medal, but was third in the free skate with a wham-bang performance, thus leaving a very memorable impression in the mind of the skating community before the 95-96 season.

L

LADSKATER

Having recently rewatched the 95 Worlds, I can safely say Lu Chen deserved to win. Michelle was new on the scene, the "new kid on the block" she still had to earn her stripes. Also she had not developed her artistic side at this point. Her program was technically good, but there was no connection to the music.

Lu Chen on the other hand floated across the ice. Toller Cranston choreographed her program and it was perfect for her. She was inspired.

Nichole unfortunately came apart in the long program and runied her chances. She did skate well in the short.

As far as I am concerned the right skater won this time.

Ladskater

T

TimGoebelsGirl

I'm sticking with Michelle. I know, coming from me, that's a typical answer, b ut she had the best program. The only reason she didn't get a medal was because of her age.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I agreed with the placements of the LP, but I diagreed with the SP placements.

I thought MK should have been at least 4th in the SP. Surya was really bad in the SP, she fell, she traveled on her spins, she had horrible spirals (even MK's spirals were better, eventhough MK's extention wasn't great), and she looked tired.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:red;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">No way should Michelle have won. Yes, she was a jumping bean but her presentation was sorely lacking at that point in time, very awkward and gawky. However, she definitely deserved the bronze over Nicole, who basically didn't do much beyond present a splatfest. Definitely Lulu should have won.</span>

B

BronzeisGolden02

I agree completely, Realtorgal. Michelle gave her first really incredible performance at the 95 Worlds, but her artistry and expression certainly weren't anywhere near where they would be a year later. As for Nicole, poor girl! Her technical program in Birmingham was marvelous and I was so excited for her. And then, she begins "Dr. Zhivago" with a huge 3flutz/3toe, I thought she had it! SPLAT-SPLAT, two falls! That disrupted the entire program. If I'm not mistaken, she received some suprisingly high marks for a two-fall program. Anyway, sad to know that she only pulled it together at two Nationals and ended her career on such a LOW note in Nagano. She was such a talent, the Cohen of her day in my mind (well, Sasha is more consistent than Nicole was, but still, amazing talent and such shaky nerves).

S

skatergalrules

michelle didnt have very good presentation back then though.:rollin:

but she was very stong technically so lu chen should have won.:p