Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: When will Fumie Suguri retire?

Banned

When will Fumie Suguri retire?

I cant believe she is still continuing. Does she realize her competitive prime ended almost 5 years ago now? I actually used to like her but her current plight is almost becoming embarassing.

She'll retire when she wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post

Fumie would still be the #1 skater in ....how many federations? Quite a few, no?
    If she wants to continue competing that is her business.

Besides, having a few Divas around is good for skating.

Go Fumie !!

Banned
    I expect to see the judges retire her soon should she insist on competing much longer. PCS in the 2s and 3s if neccessary. That is my prediction.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post

Exactly!

Custom Title
    Are you serious??? Fumie still has the goods to contend with the top 10 in her own country, and Japan has plenty of quality skaters. Judges won't (or should not) purposely ding her because she can no longer compete as she once did in her peak. There is NO reason Fumie would get PCS marks in the 2's and 3's. Yes, she won't be 8's, but she is still a fast skater with good skating skills and the ability to present a nice performance. That counts for something.

The majority of top skaters skate for the chance to be in the top 10 at major competitions. Only a select few contend for the podium every time out. Fumie may be a long shot at podium now than she once was, but a top 10 is still realistic. I say keep going until YOU want to stop, Fumie!

P.S...Fumie has said as long as she receives enough endorsements to able to compete, she will. When she can no longer afford to fund her career, she will call it quits.
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 06-16-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I expect to see the judges retire her soon should she insist on competing much longer. PCS in the 2s and 3s if neccessary. That is my prediction.
    Really... Fumie skates sooooo FAST. Her speed is incredible. I saw her last year at Skate America, and she was just as fast as Yuna. She also is quite aggressive on the ice. I hope she gets some great programs and does really well. She also is very pretty on the ice. Her body is incredible!

If she makes you embarrassed for her, stop watching her. Works for me.

Custom Title
    I think a lot of skaters think 24 is the age a woman should quit competing, while 30 year old men get lauded for coming back. Double standards in a man's world.

Here is a look back at young Fumie skating at 1996 Natls. I am not sure old she is here but what a fine long career she continues to enjoy. Thanks for all of the nice memories Fumie and good luck next season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMihDY0WL90

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I think it's sad that her skating has gotten worse. Her jumps suddenly lost their normal consistency at the end of 2006.

Even aside from her technical programs, there has been little excitement or elegance or originality in her skating for the past 3 years. She has just seemed nervous and jaded and unhappy whenever she takes to the ice. It's like a completely different skater from the Fumie we used to see. She is simply not very pleasurable to watch anymore (at least in competitions).

You'd think someone from such a competitively deep country would find the motivation to improve if they insisted on continuing to compete, but she simply hasn't. That's what I find troubling. This has honestly been her downfall throughout her entire career. She never pushed herself hard enough to get a Triple-Triple combination and she didn't work on her flexibility either to improve her Spirals (and Spins). The talent she showed at 2002 Worlds was excellent - big jumps, a wonderful ability to interpret music, fast skating, and an excellent scratch spin. She never took those tools and built on them. She COULD have been a World/Olympic champion; she had the talent but she didn't go for it.

Look at Shizuka Arakawa from the same country, whose career was even worse off at one point - she pushed herself and went from 8th in the World in 2003 to 1st in 2004, and then came back again in 2006 for the Olympics and specifically pushed herself to learn moves she hated doing or had never done before (like the Beillmann spin) in order to be a Champion. I wish Fumie had done that.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 06-16-2010 at 07:58 PM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Well you can't complain to Fumie. The only thing you could do is maybe complain to the rules.
    You might propose to ISU a rule like: If your season's best declines 3 years in a row, then you are deprived of your eligibility. How's that?
    Even this Fumie may gather her guts to squeeze through, though.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    That would be a stupid rule. It's just sad that Fumie's skating has become so JOYLESS. Even if she is struggling on the tech side, it would be nice to see some real life and artistry in the performance again.

Yet another recent example from the same country - look at Yukari Nakano. She was unfairly left off the podium at 2008 Worlds and started having problems with her jumps after that, and did not make the World team in 2009, but she kept giving performances with interesting artistic qualities regardless.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    Well you can't complain to Fumie. The only thing you could do is maybe complain to the rules.
    You might propose to ISU a rule like: If your season's best declines 3 years in a row, then you are deprived of your eligibility. How's that?
    Even this Fumie may gather her guts to squeeze through, though.
    Hmm, no, that could deprive of us some truly great comebacks.

Anyway, I don't know if Fumie should retire or not but this thread certainly made me go re-discover a gorgeous skater I have only paid mild attention to! She WAS amazing in 2002.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp5tI...eature=related
    I'll be adding this to my lists of re-watcheable skates.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Hmm, no, that could deprive of us some truly great comebacks.

Anyway, I don't know if Fumie should retire or not but this thread certainly made me go re-discover a gorgeous skater I have only paid mild attention to! She WAS amazing in 2002.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp5tI...eature=related
    I'll be adding this to my lists of re-watcheable skates.
    Thanks for the clip - such a beautiful program

I have been watching Fumie for so many years I am afraid if she ever retires I will feel OLD

Fumie had some of the most lovely, feathery jumps I can recall.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast