Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats going on with Nicole Bobek?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I have no idea what's going on with Nicole Bobek but I came across this and wanted to share. The cuuuuutest thing. Sure makes me sad to think how things turned out for Nicole, watching what this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeSDF...eature=related

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That was amazingly cute. And she seemed to be very good at working with Emily.

Here's one of her brighter moments: her 1995 SP at Worlds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNg6X...eature=related
    And her LP at nationals 1995

And another nice program: 1995 USPS Postal challenge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4l-H...eature=related

Here is a link which I found on FSU about Nicole. She is pleading guilty and could receive up to 5 years in prison. Hope the link works.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2..._champion.html

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    Hope the link works.
    I sort of wish it didn't.

When sentenced Aug. 5, the onetime ice queen faces anywhere from probation to five years in prison.

Under the original charge, she could have faced up to 10 years in prison.

Prosecutors are expected to recommend to state Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan, sitting in Jersey City, that Bobek spend 364 days in the Hudson County jail in Kearny.
    And jail is a lot better than prison.

Also, Nicole has been keeping busy in the Hudson County jail:

After her arrest last year, Bobek organized a workout class for fellow female inmates during her July 4-6 stay at Hudson County jail in Kearny. She described the accommodations there as "four-star" compared to the Florida jail where she was first held after her arrest, fellow inmates told The Jersey Journal.

During a jailhouse interview, one of the inmates said Bobek told her she enjoyed skating, but her life went in a different direction and she regretted it. Even so, Bobek told the prisoner "she was hopeful." Bobek even made tube tops for the inmates out of T-shirts before being released on bail.

Custom Title
    That's a heartening story about Bobek's behavior in the jail. It shows that she's able to make the best of a situation, a trait which might help her straighten herself out later on. (One can only hope.) I hope that her sentence turns out to be the shorter one, and in that facility.

For some reason, the jailhouse part reminds me of a possible subplot for Legally Blonde 17.

On the Ice
    Maybe a sentence longer than one year would be appropriate. Her ravaged complexion in the mug shot photo makes it clear that she has an addiction problem. She should be detained to the point where resumption becomes statistically unlikely, which for most hard drugs would be two years. As for punishing her for her involvement with an organised drug-dealing ring, let's remember that the drugs that this group of people were selling were not soft, non-addictive, so-called "recreational" drugs(whose prohibition is questionable), but rather this ring was dealing hard drugs that cause physical addiction and death. That can't be taken lightly.

I'm not being an anti-drug fanatic. 70% of Americans of my age group(40's & 50's) consumed recreational drugs during their high school and college years, but crystal meth isn't a recreational drug. It's addictive, deadly, poison. Someone could have died from the drugs Ms.Bobek sold.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar

Re: Whats going on with Nicole Bobek?

Usually misdemeanors are punishable by sentences under a year and felonies get sentences of a year or more. Maybe that's the reason for the 364 days- so she won't be a convicted felon?

Custom Title

I can't even bear to look at the mug shot. My memories of her Dr. Zhivago program, signature spiral, and winning short program at Worlds make the contrast simply too much for me. Seems there is no question her activities were crimes, and punishment is warranted. Here's to hoping punishment is somehow appropriate and she emerges from the end of this very dark stage of her life with a chance to recover her dignity. I hope for her to have that chance.

On the Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Usually misdemeanors are punishable by sentences under a year and felonies get sentences of a year or more. Maybe that's the reason for the 364 days- so she won't be a convicted felon?
    It's the charge(and the type of court that the case is tried in), not the length of the sentence, that determines whether the case is a misdemeanor or felony case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2