Whats going on with Nicole Bobek? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Whats going on with Nicole Bobek?

That's a heartening story about Bobek's behavior in the jail. It shows that she's able to make the best of a situation, a trait which might help her straighten herself out later on. (One can only hope.) I hope that her sentence turns out to be the shorter one, and in that facility.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For some reason, the jailhouse part reminds me of a possible subplot for Legally Blonde 17.

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
Maybe a sentence longer than one year would be appropriate. Her ravaged complexion in the mug shot photo makes it clear that she has an addiction problem. She should be detained to the point where resumption becomes statistically unlikely, which for most hard drugs would be two years. As for punishing her for her involvement with an organised drug-dealing ring, let's remember that the drugs that this group of people were selling were not soft, non-addictive, so-called "recreational" drugs(whose prohibition is questionable), but rather this ring was dealing hard drugs that cause physical addiction and death. That can't be taken lightly.

I'm not being an anti-drug fanatic. 70% of Americans of my age group(40's & 50's) consumed recreational drugs during their high school and college years, but crystal meth isn't a recreational drug. It's addictive, deadly, poison. Someone could have died from the drugs Ms.Bobek sold.

Wicked

Final Flight
Usually misdemeanors are punishable by sentences under a year and felonies get sentences of a year or more. Maybe that's the reason for the 364 days- so she won't be a convicted felon?

lcd

Match Penalty
I can't even bear to look at the mug shot. My memories of her Dr. Zhivago program, signature spiral, and winning short program at Worlds make the contrast simply too much for me. Seems there is no question her activities were crimes, and punishment is warranted. Here's to hoping punishment is somehow appropriate and she emerges from the end of this very dark stage of her life with a chance to recover her dignity. I hope for her to have that chance.

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
Usually misdemeanors are punishable by sentences under a year and felonies get sentences of a year or more. Maybe that's the reason for the 364 days- so she won't be a convicted felon?

It's the charge(and the type of court that the case is tried in), not the length of the sentence, that determines whether the case is a misdemeanor or felony case.