Sound Of Music - Remake? | Golden Skate

Sound Of Music - Remake?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Egads, I heard that the Sound of Music may be remade. The star line us so far is Richard Gere (Von Trapp) and Celine Dion (Maria) or Madonna (Maria). Please, spare me! How could anyone top Julie Andrews?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I could see Gere playing a wonderful Captain Von Trapp... but as you said NO ONE can replace Julie Andrews

not a good idea Hollywood!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I don't get the "remake" thing. Sabrina, Dianolique, not to mention Physcho -- they are all inferior to the original. Aren't there enough good stories around?

GoldenLady

On the Ice
Yikes!!! :eek: I just don't see either Celine Dion or Madonna playing Maria.... If it does happen, that's one movie I'll be sure to pass on!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hey! I'm a big fan of the remake of Sabrina!

And what about Father of the Bride??? I loved the remake(and sequel) of that movie... Martin Short is HILARIOUS!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't see why they would remake that. You just can't beat Julie A. and I really don't like Celine D. Not really fond of Madonna either but she did do a good job with Evita.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Grgranny:

I can "sort" of see Celine in the part at least she can certainly sing and could probably carry the part off as a nun. I am just not sure of her acting abilities. Madona as a nun? NO THANKS!!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
I CANNOT picture Madonna as the innocent Maria. Perhaps, she could play the Baroness. Seriously, Maria's an innocent - Celine and Madonna are both too mature to play the role.

2ND - I can't see a remake of this working unless they adapted it. Example being the Preacher's Wife with Whitney Houston was a remake of Bishop's Wife. Same essential story, but set in current time. Then, there all he various versions of Christmas Carol - same underlying story with somewhat different details. For example, Vanessa Williams' Diva's Christmas where she played a big pop star who had alienated everyone around her until she was visited by Christmas ghosts of past present and future. Same ordeal as Ebenezer Scrooge, but different detail.

I could see Sound of Music set in an urban setting. Dad works all the time to get ahead. Kid's Mom left them for career in music, got involved with drugs and died. Kids are in day care and have care giver who is into music. yada yada.

Just can't see the noviate and the grief stricken widower remake.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
heyang:

I absolutely hate remakes especially when they are just pale immitations like the remake of the Bishop's wife. Currently there is a movie entitled "Cheaper By The Dozen" with Chevy Chase. I don't plan to see it. After the classic movie made by Clifton Webb, why does their need to be a remake? Also how can one top the classic Christmas Carol with Alister Simm? It's the same with the Sound of Music. There is only one Maria - Julie Andrews. End of story.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have to disagree on the "at least she can sing". I think Celine has a terrible voice and it's like chalk on a blackboard to me. JMHO. I also dislike Martin Short tremendously. I think that there should be plenty of people to think up new stories instead of remaking the old ones. The one remake I can think of that I liked was A Star is Born. I like the one with Judy Garland. The first one was black and white and was boring. Of course, to have Judy sing in anything is great. The story can be as boring as all get out but just to hear her sing is great. That remake with Whitney Houston would have been bad with anyone else but with her singing I Will Always Love You made the difference. I could listen to that all day.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Grgranny:

My goodness! Two Canucks on your hate list! Well, actually Celine has a wonderful, well-trained voice, but due to her husbands ill-advised coaching in how to use that gift she has tried to imitate such singers as Whitney Houston to make it on the American music scene and ruined her singing style. It's a shame. She should have followed Ann Murray's example - our song bird - and stayed home. She would have done just fine here on good old Canadian soil.

As for Martin Short - I guess you have to be Canadian to appreciate him. I like him.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I had no idea Short was from Canada. I love Anne Murray.
Hate is a pretty strong word. I hope I didn't use it.

Pookie

Final Flight
Richard Gere I could see as Von Trapp but neither Celine or Madonna would work as Maria. I can't think of anyone they could put in that part unless it was some young Broadway star or something like that.

But I think the movie is fine as it stands anyway. Like heyang said, they would have to update it or something to even attempt to make it work.

I didn't like the Bishop's Wife remake either. I love Denzel Washington but when it comes to acting, Whitney Houston is like a piece of wood.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Grgranny:

No - I was just teasing you! Martin Short is not "everyone's cup of tea!" I am really not crazy about his Jimmy Glick character. Otherwise I like him.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think that remakes are only good if the original wasn't that good in the first place.

I really despise remakes because I think the studios could be using that money to support some smaller budget independent movies with a good story instead...oh well.