Thread: Frank Carroll

Hybrid View

Frank Carroll

Here is a nice article about Frank Carroll.......

http://olympicfanatic.com/2010/02/19...gold/#comments

"I celebrate Frank Carroll, who finally got his gold medal skater. It’s a reminder to us all that these Games, which celebrate sport and the beauty of competition, aren’t just about the athletes. They are also about the coaches and trainers who—just like their athletes—never give up, keep persevering, and along with their students, live by these words: Swifter, Higher, Stronger."
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-24-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Custom Title
    A lovely article. I was thinking the same thing. The minute Costas blurted out Lysacek's name in happy astonishment, I thought of Carroll, just as my mind was filled with thoughts of Brian Orser when YuNa won. Carroll has given so much to skating. He's been coaching for nearly half a century. I'm fairly sure that for all Michelle's talent, he's the one who gave her the potential to tap that unique musical creativity in herself--didn't she aspire merely to jump like Tonya Harding before he showed her tapes of Janet Lynn, whom she had never heard of? (Keeping in mind that such an aspiration could not have been carried out by just any old skater--Kwan contributed immeasurably to her own growth.) Certainly it was Carroll who imbued her with that marvelous precision and consistency of technique. One has only to look at the also-artistic Caroline Zhang to see how a lack of superb technical training can betray a skater.

It would have been nice if Maribel Vinson Owen's name had been spelled correctly, but it's great that the article mentioned her. And isn't that picture of Carroll comforting Kwan sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    A lovely article. I was thinking the same thing. The minute Costas blurted out Lysacek's name in happy astonishment, I thought of Carroll, just as my mind was filled with thoughts of Brian Orser when YuNa won. Carroll has given so much to skating. He's been coaching for nearly half a century. I'm fairly sure that for all Michelle's talent, he's the one who gave her the potential to tap that unique musical creativity in herself--didn't she aspire merely to jump like Tonya Harding before he showed her tapes of Janet Lynn, whom she had never heard of? (Keeping in mind that such an aspiration could not have been carried out by just any old skater--Kwan contributed immeasurably to her own growth.) Certainly it was Carroll who imbued her with that marvelous precision and consistency of technique. One has only to look at the also-artistic Caroline Zhang to see how a lack of superb technical training can betray a skater.

It would have been nice if Maribel Vinson Owen's name had been spelled correctly, but it's great that the article mentioned her. And isn't that picture of Carroll comforting Kwan sweet.
    Frank grew up in the Boston area in the era of Dick Button and Tenley Albright and of course Maribel, Laurance and "little Maribel." At the time Boston was one of the great figure skating meccas of the world. I bet if one was lucky enough to have a conversation with Frank he could share some fascinating stories..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHJIZLOqcg

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I loved watching Frank watching the ceremony from the boards. he looked so quietly proud like a grandfather watching his grandchild growing up. seeing Frank and Evan interacting was one of the high points of the event for me.

Custom Title
    I think he holds skaters back technically and then promotes them as being super artisitc so that they get higher points there. I read something where he said " i wouldn't want any skater of mine to be the "triple axel girl" and then with lysacek not doing quads anymore-it is clear what his poltical coaching strategy is.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I think he holds skaters back technically and then promotes them as being super artisitc so that they get higher points there. I read something where he said " i wouldn't want any skater of mine to be the "triple axel girl" and then with lysacek not doing quads anymore-it is clear what his poltical coaching strategy is.
    Carroll also coached the quad King, Tim Goebel at the 2002 Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    -it is clear what his poltical coaching strategy is.
    I wouldn't say that this is a political strategy -- after all, a coach or skating federation could politick on behalf of a big quad jumper, too. It is true that Carroll values the performance aspect of skating, though.

I think Carroll also values a clean program. He does not encourage his students to put elements into their competitive programs until they can land them 90% of the time in practice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I loved watching Frank watching the ceremony from the boards. he looked so quietly proud like a grandfather watching his grandchild growing up. seeing Frank and Evan interacting was one of the high points of the event for me.
    THIS. I was all choked up! One of my favorite Olympic memories- I love and adore Frank Carroll!

Beautiful blog-Olympicfanatic! Loved it!
    Last edited by ranjake; 05-26-2010 at 08:32 AM.