Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Frank Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But yes, to improve his second mark, absolutely. And it worked, although he never became anything like a silk purse.
    Nationals 2005 SP gave hope of what he COULD have done... but I think his emotional state (with Angela Nikodinov's mother dying earlier that day) helped with that more than any other thing... it was brilliantly beautiful (so wish it were on youtube... but noooooo)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    As for what Carroll did for Chris Bowman...I seem to remember that he was one of Bowman's first coaches, probably his first coach as a senior skater. Chris was one of the heartbreak skaters, like Bobek and Harding, loaded with natural talent and with no stability at all. Addiction was just one part of his shortcomings. And even so, he won a world bronze. So Carroll did impart a certain amount to him, after all.
    Bowman also won a World Silver in 1989, as well as his come from behind bronze in 1990.

However, it is hard to forgive Frank for having Chris skate to Indian Love Call, with every stereotypical fake Indian move in the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf_Nk...ext=1&index=36

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hennagaijin View Post
    What did Frank do with Chris Bowman ? Thats right-- nothin !!!
    Frank was Bowman's coach for 18 years, taught him all his jumps and elegant line. Bowman won Nationals and World Juniors (1983). two national titles
    (1989, 1992) and two World titles (silver 1989 and bronze 1990). Bowman had a weight problem in his teens. (His mom, Joyce, is a wonderful cook.) Bowman hated the daily weigh-ins and keeping his weight down was one reason he began taking drugs. A small cameo part in the movie The Lost Boys put him in contact with other Hollywood teens with drug problems. Eventually, he couldn't control the addiction and Frank simply couldn't work with him anymore. Frank said at the time that "You can't train someone who's untrainable or coach someone who's uncoachable."
    It really is a shame as Bowman had great charisma and great talent.

Bowman: 1990 Worlds

"The last skater was Bowman, mired in fifth place after the compulsories and the short program. His Latin-style adlibbed long program can only be described as vintage Bowman. Preening before the judges, cha-cha-cha-ing to the audience, mugging for the cameras, he seemed to have skated straight off a Copacabana set where he had been cast in the role of a gigolo-waiter. Things were going fairly well until, about 30 seconds into his program, he stumbled on his triple Axel-double loop combination, whereupon the side of Bowman that he calls "Hans Brinker from hell" took over. Deciding that "Gee, this is a really good program, but I'm skating against Viktor and Kurt," Bowman chucked his prepared routine and began "jumping my brains out" to try to rack up a few more technical points.

The brains were the first to go. Next he ditched his triple loop and replaced it with a triple Axel. Unfortunately, the triple Axel has never been a Bowman forte, and he singled it. Then he inserted a triple loop in a spot where he had planned only footwork. All the attendant little touches, the arm movements and choreography that are months in the perfecting, were altered, replaced by "interesting movements," as Bowman would later describe them. Bowman was skating by the seat of his pants. Carroll watched, seething. "It is always interesting to see a student's new program unveiled at the world championships," he said dryly upon the event's conclusion. "I was in total shock. Yes, I am angry. I ask myself, Why do I have the only maniac in figure skating?"

From the same event:

"Certainly it was too big to enjoy, and Trenary, who is pretty tightly strung to begin with, lay in bed the night before her short program thinking all sorts of bad thoughts. Unfortunately, that was also the night that the men's portion of the competition concluded, and skating officials had put Bowman in the hotel room next to Trenary. All night long people kept hammering on Bowman's door, trying to find the party that perpetually surrounds skating's irrepressible bad boy. Bowman, in fact, did not get back to his room until 6 a.m. He had been out all night with the Russians. But the damage was done. Trenary woke up in tears, having got three hours of sleep."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2542/index.htm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Bowman: 1990 Worlds

SI report accurate as what happened in Halifax during the competition, but Bowman wowed everyone (execept Browning, of course) with his Rolling Stones medley routine. Frank finally split with Bowman at the 1990 Goodwill Games in Seattle.

From the same event:

"Certainly it was too big to enjoy, and Trenary, who is pretty tightly strung to begin with, lay in bed the night before her short program thinking all sorts of bad thoughts. Unfortunately, that was also the night that the men's portion of the competition concluded, and skating officials had put Bowman in the hotel room next to Trenary. All night long people kept hammering on Bowman's door, trying to find the party that perpetually surrounds skating's irrepressible bad boy. Bowman, in fact, did not get back to his room until 6 a.m. He had been out all night with the Russians. But the damage was done. Trenary woke up in tears, having got three hours of sleep."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2542/index.htm
    Not sure about this strange statement. If Bowman was out partying with the Russians until 6 a.m. he couldn't have been partying in his room all night keeping Trenary awake. However, USFS did lose Bowman one night and one day in Calgary at the 1988 Olympic Winter Games after the men's final.

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Not sure about this strange statement. If Bowman was out partying with the Russians until 6 a.m. he couldn't have been partying in his room all night keeping Trenary awake. However, USFS did lose Bowman one night and one day in Calgary at the 1988 Olympic Winter Games after the men's final.
    I think it implies that people were in and out of the room all night, knocking on the door and having a "party."

If I am not mistaken I recall similar comments from Paul Wylie from a different competition.
    Maybe someone else knows that story.........

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    If Frank Carroll had done nothing else in his career than improve Tim Goebel's posture, the skating world should be grateful. However, I think Lori Nichol deserves the most credit for trying to get Goebel to improve his presentation. IIRC he started working with Nichol a full year before he went to Carroll for coaching. Tim will never be an artist, but there was a thousand percent improvement in that year, even before Carroll came on board (if i am remembering the sequence of events correctly).

I don't think it is correct to say that Goebel came to Carroll in order to get a reputation for being some kind of artist. But yes, to improve his second mark, absolutely. And it worked, although he never became anything like a silk purse.

And Mirai, too. Frank is working on turning her into a mature skater who doesn't give up on the performance even while concentrating on landing jumps. No shame in that.

And he did encourage her to go for a 3-3 at worlds. So I don't see him as holding her back technically.

They meant that Bowman was out partying with the Russians but OTHER PEOPLE were coming by banging on the door looking for a party which kept Trenary awake.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    No skater that I am aware of has done it alone. Maybe Curry.
    Curry came to Colorado to work with one of the masters of the mid 70's - the great Carlo Fassi who got Curry to jump and spin in the same direction. Curry WAS spinning CW and Fassi made him change that which straightened out the cleanliness and neatness of Curry's 3T.

according to Chris's wiki, Frank coached him for 18 years until 1990 - so he would've started training with him in 1972 when Chris was 5. Toller Cranston and then John Nicks continued as his next coaches.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    They meant that Bowman was out partying with the Russians but OTHER PEOPLE were coming by banging on the door looking for a party which kept Trenary awake.
    Yes, yes, however, the article clearly insinuates that it was all Bowman's fault even when he wasn't even there. Trenary may have lost some sleep that night, but that was the same event in which she won her one and only world title.

Yes, yes, however, the article clearly insinuates that it was all Bowman's fault even when he wasn't even there. Trenary may have lost some sleep that night, but that was the same event in which she won her one and only world title.
    Yes, that is true - but it was also vague about Bowman's whereabouts. To suggest he was never in his room seems like an assumption more than a fact. If Bowman was never in the room but gave his key to friends who were in and out all night feels like the same thing to me.

Jill also bombed her SP following that sleepless night.
    She was fortunate that all she had to do was finish 2nd in the LP to guarantee a win.
    Midori gave a couple of her finest skates ever - but after the way Jill had beaten Midori and Kristi by such a wide margin in the compulsories the title was hers to lose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3