Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No more Euros and 4CC before Olys!!

Custom Title
    I prefer to have 4CC, and euro before olys, at least for the second tier skaters to participate

Custom Title
    I feel, imo, they should keep the euros before olympics, have worlds before Oly and keep the 4cc after all is done, at end of season so up and comers and non olympians can be assigned there for experience.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    /\ Except European skaters are excluded from 4CC..so what about their up and comers..and depending on how you look at it, Euro skaters would have the benefit of one more competition under their belts..or non-Euro skaters would have the benefit of a break... before World's & Oly's.

It's a conundrum that won't be resolved until there are enough skaters to hold Euro's and say, an Americas, and Asian championships . (What makes 4CC a poor counterpart for Euro's is the insane distances the competitors have to travel. ) Or drop Euro's and 4CC. , but that seems to be going over like a lead balloon .
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 05-26-2010 at 04:12 PM.

This is just so stupid it defies description.

If the ISU hasn't learned by now that the olympics are not the way to build a year-in year-out fan base, then they never will. Just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I am curious~~ why is the French federation so concerned about this that they title it "urgent proposal"? I feel a Worlds before the Olympics might put too much pressure on the skaters to attend. It's more prestigious than 4CC after all. However, I do think they should keep Worlds during Olympic year, because even if the top skaters don't attend, it's always a good place for upcoming stars to make an impression with the judges.
    Good Heavans! We don't want to put pressure on the Artistry of our skaters. They are not like all fans of sport. They are much too fragil. The proposal is for sportsminded fans who want to see la revenge. It will make more money when there is a sports angle to it. Not unliked the "Battle of the Whomevers".

I still think the Euros and 4CC could be squeezed in before the Worlds Why they are taking up the proposal now when it could wait two years, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Why they are taking up the proposal now when it could wait two years, I dunno.
    It's called 'putting a bug in their ear'.

I seem to be one of the only ones who actually likes this idea. Most of the top-tier skaters don't show up to 4CCs anyway in an Olympic year. The only negative to this was that 4CCs was a good competition for second-tier competitors who didn't quite make the Olympics, but maybe another competition could be held for them. You could also see the exhaustion skaters experienced after doing Euros, Olympics and Worlds plus their own national championships. ex. Denis Ten, who did all these plus Jr. Worlds.

Custom Title
    From a logistic standpoint, this proposal could be problematic for the US and Canada who typically have their Nationals in the 2nd to 3rd week of January whereas most European and Japanese Nationals take place in December of the previous year.

This proposal is not without merit but I don't imagine the U.S. and Canada would like this idea that would make it very difficult for them to hold Nationals in January.

Tripping on the Podium
    Personally, I'd like to see the Worlds not held in Olympic years. They just don't seem to matter too much when compared to the Olympics, especially when many stars (understandably) choose not to compete.

This placing the Worlds before the Olys is: 1. sensible. it would build up steam for the Olys which, unfortunately is more revered than Worlds by the majority of skaters and fans. 2. Oly buildup which it needs for attracting more interest in figure skating by gathering more media attention with or without a US Starlet.

How much will it interfere with various Nationals if the placing is more of a substitution rather than a radical change? Euros in January does not affect the Northeat I have also been to US Nats running around during intermissions to find results of Euros. They will not put Worlds in January, but where the Olys have always been - in February and they wil put the Olys where Worlds were in March.
    However winter sports in March are iffy all around the worlds. BIG QUESTION; Will the OIC agree to this? there is the necessity of lots of snow.

The suggestion that the Worlds be dropped should also be considered if this proposal is to be taken up seriously.

The IOC ALWAYS has the Olympics in February. This will not change as ISU has very limited pull within the IOC. France will get a lot of blow back from North America and probably Asia too. If Worlds would fall where Euros/4C is normally, it cuts into NA Nationals AND it causes issues for those needing to travel 12+ hours (Worlds in Asia for NA skaters, Worlds in NA for Asian skaters) and the lost training time as that woud be the peak time based on the training periodization table most coaches follow/preach and it's VERY difficult to peak 2X in a 4-5 week period. A lot of skaters would STILL refuse Worlds to prepare for the Olys.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Then the US and Canada would have to move their championships back into mid December (both to allow skaters to rest between Nationals, Worlds & Olympics, and to avoid a major championship in the Christmas/New Year's holiday season--but that would not necessarily be a bad thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Then the US and Canada would have to move their championships back into mid December (both to allow skaters to rest between Nationals, Worlds & Olympics, and to avoid a major championship in the Christmas/New Year's holiday season--but that would not necessarily be a bad thing.
    And sectionals/regionals would need to be pushed back earlier as well, wouldn't they? I mean, Canada and the USA have their Nationals late because of those competitions, don't they? Or do all countries have those types of competitions, and if so, how do they work?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    And sectionals/regionals would need to be pushed back earlier as well, wouldn't they? I mean, Canada and the USA have their Nationals late because of those competitions, don't they? Or do all countries have those types of competitions, and if so, how do they work?
    Japan has at least one round of qualifiers. It all depends on the size of the field.

In theory it would be possible for the US to do regionals in October, sectionals in November, and Nationals in December. That would be a lot of competitions in a short period of time for the singles skaters, novice through senior, who have to go through the whole qualifying process.

Regionals can't really be moved much earlier because the kids have to get settled back into their school year first.

At the other end of the spectrum, it would also present a problem for skaters who qualify for the GP final (junior or senior). That has been a conflict or tight turnaround with French Nationals in the past.

So I suppose it would mean not only eliminating continental championships and some countries having to reschedule their Nationals in Olympic years, but also eliminating the series finals. Or moving both series much earlier in the summer/fall, or delaying the finals until after the Olympics which would likely also lead to no-shows from some of the senior qualifiers.

The simplest solution is just to leave things the way they are and accept that the senior ISU championships may have a somewhat weaker field in Olympic years.

US Nats is in January. No need to change that. The plan as I read it would move Worlds to February and the Olys to March
    Resting would be the same as it has been for years past. Nothing has to move backwards. Those holidays are safe for Disson.

I'm ok with the proposal but the ISU must convince the OIC that it is in the best interest (hype and money) for both the OIC as well as the ISU. Personally I don't think the OIC will buy it. I agree with MM that the proposal will be dropped, although I do imagine it could give a big boost to Worlds and Olys mediawise which is sorely needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast