Interview with Caroline Zhang | Golden Skate

Interview with Caroline Zhang

Vlad

On the Ice
Interview by World Figure Skating Blog

Caroline Zhang is the 2007 World Junior champion, a two-time World Junior silver medalist (2008-09) and the 2006 Junior Grand Prix Final champion.
She earned the bronze at the 2010 Four Continents Championships . Captured the bronze at the 2009 U.S.Figure Skating Championships and took the silver at the 2007 U.S. Championships as a junior.
Caroline has won three medals in the Grand Prix Series: one silver (2007 Cup of China) and two bronzes (2008 Trophee Eric Bompard, 2007 Skate America).

VLAD: Hi Caroline and thank you for taking out the time to answer our questions!

CAROLINE: Thank you too!

VLAD: Caroline how did you decide to become a figure skater?

CAROLINE: I was taking ballet across the street from the ice rink, and I had already seen figure skating on TV so I wanted to try it and immediatly fell in love with it.

VLAD: What do you think about your season?

CAROLINE: I was very disappointed in my season I accomplished none of the goals I had set for myself, I had injuries in the summer, and I never got back on track. Next season will hopefully be a lot better.

VLAD: What attracted you to figure skating and what are some of your biggest moments in your career so far?

CAROLINE: Watching it on TV, and the joy you feel while figure skating attracted me.

VLAD: How do you manage to balance your figure skating career with school and being a teenager?

CAROLINE: I am homeschooled which helps a lot because that gives me a flexible schedule for skating. It's hard to be a normal teenager but it's definitely worth it to be able to a competitive figure skater.

VLAD: About how do you keep your very good balance between artistry and technique in your skating programs?

CAROLINE: I have had a lot of trouble with that's recently, due to jump technique problems I did not concentrate on my artistry, and I see that as a very big mistake that I will fix this year.

VLAD: Could you tell us a few words about your new programs?

CAROLINE: I have not choreographed my new programs yet but I am looking forward to it.

VLAD: What are your main goals for the next season?

CAROLINE: My goals for next season is just to show improvement in all aspects of my skating.

VLAD: Do you have your favorite place in the world?

CAROLINE: I like traveling everywhere so I can't pick a favorite. Everytime I go to a different country I think it's my favorite.

VLAD: How many days a week do you train? And what do you prefer to do in your days off?

CAROLINE: I train 6 days a week, and on my days off I usually catch up with homework, and hang out with friends.

VLAD: What is your general advice for skaters who just started their competitive career?

CAROLINE: Some advice I would give a skater that just started their competitive career is to work hard, have fun, and just remember how much you love skating!

VLAD: Thank you very much for the interview! Good luck in the next season!

CAROLINE: Thank you!