Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Thread: The Kween and the Queen

Custom Title
    I like your appraisal of Sasha--a lifer. I think you might be right.

As for young coaches: Yuka seems to be getting a fine start, and she has her father's example after all. Her husband Jason Dunjen apparently also coaches. And Brian seems to have a knack for it. An Olympic gold medalist right out of the gate! Look how many years it took Carroll to achieve that with one of his skaters.

Didn't someone say that Lucinda Ruh is now coaching spins? If she could pass on even half of her insight into spin physics, that would be a gift to skating. Did someone also say that Stephane Lambiel is coaching?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I like your appraisal of Sasha--a lifer. I think you might be right.

As for young coaches: Yuka seems to be getting a fine start, and she has her father's example after all. Her husband Jason Dunjen apparently also coaches. And Brian seems to have a knack for it. An Olympic gold medalist right out of the gate! Look how many years it took Carroll to achieve that with one of his skaters.

Didn't someone say that Lucinda Ruh is now coaching spins? If she could pass on even half of her insight into spin physics, that would be a gift to skating. Did someone also say that Stephane Lambiel is coaching?
    Brian certainly seems on his way to becoming the "it" coach.

I hope Sasha stays in the sport, too. Deep inside I think it's what she wants but she needs to come to terms with it and decide she has much to contribute apart from winning medals.
    I can think of four ways she should stay in the sport:
    1. Choreographer
    2. Costume designer
    3. Pilates/Yoga teacher for skaters
    4. Commentator

Don't know enough about her personality to really know if she would make a good coach.
    Last edited by Layfan; 06-13-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Brian certainly seems on his way to becoming the "it" coach.

I hope Sasha stays in the sport, too. Deep inside I think it's what she wants but she needs to come to terms with it and decide she has much to contribute apart from winning medals.
    I can think of four ways she should stay in the sport:
    1. Choreographer
    2. Costume designer
    3. Pilates/Yoga teacher for skaters
    4. Commentator

Don't know enough about her personality to really know if she would make a good coach.
    She could always be a spin coach; or school a skater or two on extensions and beautiful lines :3

Banned
    Why is a skater who's not as close to the podium as once was pressed hard to retire?

Give them time to regroup and retrain. I love to see Sasha stay along. In 2010 US national, Sasha still managed to look okay in short.

It's essential for us to have a supportive atmosphere in which skaters can nurture and fulfill what the sport's meant to be by something other than just being highly competitive.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTriple View Post
    Why is a skater who's not as close to the podium as once was pressed hard to retire?

Give them time to regroup and retrain. I love to see Sasha stay along. In 2010 US national, Sasha still managed to look okay in short.

It's essential for us to have a supportive atmosphere in which skaters can nurture and fulfill what the sport's meant to be by something other than just being highly competitive.
    I didn't really mean that Sasha should retire. I doubt she'll come back for another season but I'd be psyched if she did.

I just meant that if she does retire from competitive skating, I suspect she'd find much contentment in staying involved in the sport like Peggy and Dick Button and Scott Hamilton and all of those people. Maybe there is something else she wants to do in her life but I suspect her heart lies in staying with the sport.

Custom Title
    I would be SHOCKED to see Sasha take up coaching. I can imagine she would do some choreographing/dress designing for a selected few skaters (meaning, I can't see her being satisfied in a role like Lori Nichol or David Wilson, but would do choreo and dress design for a couple skaters she's close to), but I get the feeling she would prefer to embark on a more self devoted career, like acting, or try to break into fashion somehow. I don't think she'll be a "lifer" like, say, Yuka Sato or Scott Hamilton have been. I think she'll find a secondary niche and pursue that while always keep the door to skating opportunities open, like Michelle.

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    I would be SHOCKED to see Sasha take up coaching. I can imagine she would do some choreographing/dress designing for a selected few skaters (meaning, I can't see her being satisfied in a role like Lori Nichol or David Wilson, but would do choreo and dress design for a couple skaters she's close to), but I get the feeling she would prefer to embark on a more self devoted career, like acting, or try to break into fashion somehow. I don't think she'll be a "lifer" like, say, Yuka Sato or Scott Hamilton have been. I think she'll find a secondary niche and pursue that while always keep the door to skating opportunities open, like Michelle.
    Hmmm.....compared to Sasha - Michelle really seems to have put skating behind her.

I see almost no similarity to their careers at the moment. Sasha is still heavily involved in skating and Michelle appears to be preparing for a career outside of skating.

I can't predict what the futire holds but it feels like a safe bet to think Sasha will remain more heavily involved in the skating world than Michelle will.

Things could change - Michelle could reach a point in her life and decide she wants to be part of skating but first I think she is going to finish school and then enter the state dept full time.

Custom Title
    What I really meant was I can't see Sasha doing more than headlining tours. I doubt she'll coach or commentate.

I think if there were more single touring shows, we would see more of Michelle, which is why Yu-Na's tour is so perfect for her; Michelle can still pursue her education, and skate in the summer. There has been talk about a similar tour in the US, but now that Yu-Na seems to plan on competing, I bet that will be on hold. With COI, Michelle was such a huge star and very rarely missed a stop. It is selfish on my part to want her back, but I understand between her health and studies, it has to come 3rd...I'm hoping it's just for now!

I think if Sasha's acting career had taken off, she would be there and not skating, but everyone has to make a living! I see Sasha more as a Tara than as a lifer like Yuka. But who knows...I just never get the feeling she LOVES touring, but that she knows she's a good at it and popular. I wonder if she has any aspirations to go to school.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24