The Kween and the Queen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Kween and the Queen

brownfox

On the Ice
yu-na is focused on her skating--however to me the primary difference between michelle and yu-na is the fact how yu-na and other skaters won the ogm--by
favoritism--like new rules favor mao-and possible evgeny and russian skaters. like the rules the last 4years favored canadian--
that means cheating--teachers pet in school -advantaged and overlooked mistakes-higher scores, and marks and not get into trouble,

michelles rules nevered favored her- in fact favor tara/sarah more credence even though didn't do jumps correctly.
see won ogm-they are great--really how much do you favor (cheat for them) rules wise, by that overlook mistakes
yu-na at the olympics skated great-her ogm is deserved not so much for others, if favored rules now-how about back than-
so to me ogm holds no merit unless skater went above and beyond what they should have done at the olympics-yu-na did- not so for kristi, scott, tara, ssarah, oksana
they did what they was supposed and no more with a few mistakes and won.
michelle skated decent like the rest since rules didn't favor her she didn't win. mao messed up a bit -to me just enough to help yu-na for ogm spreadc.
yu-na and michelle are diffrent people but skating styles somewhat alike --difference is michelle expessed more than yu-na where i can feel.
both are great skaters as well as mao-
enough of my rant regarding ogm favoritism/cheating.

Ohhhh what???????????????????????????????

princess9

On the Ice
Well, if you like this, Yuna too does not really attend school, and she trains like no other during a regular season. She does other activities only during off-season. And, just let you know, Mao too does make a lot of money in Japan.

How can you put down someone who gave up one's ordinary life, especially family and friends, to solely focus on training?

Dearest, they ALL work very hard. THEY ALL SACRIFICE a lot. Yuna is not unique in this respect. Every top skater works really hard for many years. Read stories of others and you will learn amazing things. Its sweet you are so devoted and enamored of yuna. She certainly has brought many new fans, many koreans and others to the sport. Maybe you will like others as well. No offense. Don't misunderstand. OK? Its a discussion thread and you seem not to understand my points. Sorry.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
What is her stardom in Korea comparable to? What celebrity or personality does Kim compare to in terms of influence, earnings, etc. I have a hard time trying to picture it and a visit to this lovely Asian gem of a country is not in my budget. I also wonder if anyone has links to where she lives in Korea. Is there a "Hollywood" type place where the stars live? Just Curious as to the reality behind the hype...:)

Yuna recently moved into an apartment in Yoido, which is a major financial district in Seoul dubbed "little Manhanttan" and close to broadcasting studios. The area has nice, upscale high-rise apartments, including several Trump Towers, but it is not the most expensive or luxurious neighborhood (the most expensive apartments/villas are in Kangnam). It's not that she cannot afford to live in the most expensive places (she will be making at least $10 million this year just from endorsements), but Yuna and her family still seem to maintain their "modest" lifestyle - with her family still owning a home in her hometown which is in a rural area outside of Seoul.

In terms of celebrity/influence, Yuna is definitely in the A+ category, and probably the biggest celebrity at the moment. There are a few top-tier actresses/idols (e.g. SNSD) that could be considered to be on par with Yuna in terms of stardom, but only Yuna is considered a national hero.

princess9

On the Ice
Yuna recently moved into an apartment in Yoido, which is a major financial district in Seoul dubbed "little Manhanttan" and close to broadcasting studios. The area has nice, upscale high-rise apartments, including several Trump Towers, but it is not the most expensive or luxurious neighborhood (the most expensive apartments/villas are in Kangnam). It's not that she cannot afford to live in the most expensive places (she will be making at least $10 million this year just from endorsements), but Yuna and her family still seem to maintain their "modest" lifestyle - with her family still owning a home in her hometown which is in a rural area outside of Seoul.

In terms of celebrity/influence, Yuna is definitely in the A+ category, and probably the biggest celebrity at the moment. There are a few top-tier actresses/idols (e.g. SNSD) that could be considered to be on par with Yuna in terms of stardom, but only Yuna is considered a national hero.

Thannx, I really imagined she's got a jet set life with all the money and fame. The Orser interview said she is like a rockstar in Korea. She is so influential, and unlike any one else in the sport in terms of stardom. Witt had a modest life at the top of her fame and really worked hard once she came here. Kwan is our megastar but her life and earnings are small potatos compared to Yuna Kim. I don't think its at all exaggerated. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when she walks into a store. I really cannot grasp this as there has never been anyone in figureskating like this. Not in any other country. !0 million this year in endorsements alone is huge. Her earning potential is vast. I think the huge sums of money are dazzling to all the insiders in the sport. Every skatetr, coach, whoever wants to be a part of this. American skaters are probably going to find more work in Asia for years to come. She is appealing but there is a lot of luck too in such a life, besides the hardwork.

Evan Lysacek in contrast will likely have a few endorsements and maybe get a TV special next year but Americans seem pretty blase about skating these days. I wish she would headline a tour over here. I am hoping Orser/Wilson get it going. I think they will if she goes pro. It may get us over here a big bump. I miss the pro competitions we had, and even some of the silly shows we had in the 90's. Any one here have her email or agents address to suggest she tour North America? LOL Yunabliss, you know where she lives. Seriously, I hope she turns pro and decides to live here part time as she and Michelle could probably revive Champions on Ice. I enjoyed their shows more than SOI format. Too bad for USA fans they went under.

I don't think threads like this are "useless" at all. They give us all a chance to talk about skaters we love. Also, seeing the really expressive writers articulate what makes a skater good can be very enlightening.

As I've said, the really unprecedented level of YuNa's fame in terms of what a skater means to her home country reminds me a lot of the impact of J.K. Rowling. I've spent some time in the world of children's publishing. Experts in that world were bewildered and amazed by Rowling's success. There had never been a situation like Rowling's before--the bookstores opening at midnight for Harry Potter parties when a new book came out, the crowds, the sheer amount of money involved, the record number of copies printed. Generally a children's book sells 10,000 to 50,000 copies in hardcover: hers sold millions in the first printing alone.

YuNa's fame in Korea seems to be at that unprecedented level. It's a result of "perfect storm" conditions:
1. She truly is a great skater, both athletic and artistic
2. She's a gracious and telegenic personality who's come to be at home in the spotlight, so her fame can cross over to things like singing and modeling
3. Korea has never had a contender in international skating before and their first one out of the gate wins Olympic gold
4. There are no other current world-class Korean skaters sharing the spotlight with her (unlike Japan, for example)
5. Her skating doesn't even reflect the work of a Korean coach (the way Russian skaters do with Mishin or Moskvina, for example).
All these factors make her a phenomenon unto herself. Whether she stays in competitive skating or leaves now, she's the kind of star we haven't seen ever, just as J.K. Rowling will remain a unique star whether she ever publishes anything again. The nice thing is that, like Rowling, she has provided opportunities for her colleagues. I can't tell you how many good, obscure children's fantasies got reprinted and noticed because of the "Harry Potter effect," or how many more kids, especially boys, became eager readers because of Rowling. Likewise, suddenly skaters from elsewhere have invitations to skate in lucrative, well-attended shows in Korea. And maybe, as Princess9 suggests, someone smart will get Kim to skate in North America and revitalize shows over here. Heck, they should give Kim a TV special. Who says American viewers are only interested in American headliners? Let them include a few guest stars from here and just give Kim the airwaves. I'd stay home to see it!

All this is not to say that Kim is the greatest skater ever. Every fan has his or her own idea of who "the greatest ever" is, because there's no way to measure it. (Kwan still tops my list, though I am really wowed by Kim in many ways.) But to make another parallel, skaters like Michelle or Dorothy Hamill are often called "America's sweetheart." But someone on here pointed out that Kim is considered "the daughter of Korea." That's a level of meaning that no skater has probably ever achieved in her home country up to now. Maybe it will never happen again.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
IYuNa's fame in Korea seems to be at that unprecedented level. It's a result of "perfect storm" conditions:
1. She truly is a great skater, both athletic and artistic
2. She's a gracious and telegenic personality who's come to be at home in the spotlight, so her fame can cross over to things like singing and modeling
3. Korea has never had a contender in international skating before and their first one out of the gate wins Olympic gold
4. There are no other current world-class Korean skaters sharing the spotlight with her (unlike Japan, for example)
5. Her skating doesn't even reflect the work of a Korean coach (the way Russian skaters do with Mishin or Moskvina, for example).
All these factors make her a phenomenon unto herself. Whether she stays in competitive skating or leaves now, she's the kind of star we haven't seen ever, just as J.K. Rowling will remain a unique star whether she ever publishes anything again. The nice thing is that, like Rowling, she has provided opportunities for her colleagues. I can't tell you how many good, obscure children's fantasies got reprinted and noticed because of the "Harry Potter effect," or how many more kids, especially boys, became eager readers because of Rowling. Likewise, suddenly skaters from elsewhere have invitations to skate in lucrative, well-attended shows in Korea. And maybe, as Princess9 suggests, someone smart will get Kim to skate in North America and revitalize shows over here. Heck, they should give Kim a TV special. Who says American viewers are only interested in American headliners? Let them include a few guest stars from here and just give Kim the airwaves. I'd stay home to see it!

All this is not to say that Kim is the greatest skater ever. Every fan has his or her own idea of who "the greatest ever" is, because there's no way to measure it. (Kwan still tops my list, though I am really wowed by Kim in many ways.) But to make another parallel, skaters like Michelle or Dorothy Hamill are often called "America's sweetheart." But someone on here pointed out that Kim is considered "the daughter of Korea." That's a level of meaning that no skater has probably ever achieved in her home country up to now. Maybe it will never happen again.

Very nice thoughts Olympia.
Somehow I missed this during the Olympics but here is NBC's Olympic fluff piece on Yuna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=KmytVH4r6zY&feature=related

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Its difficult to compare the two in objective kinda way because they are from different eras and compete under very different rules... but since both are the greatest of their "generation" and it would've been cool to see a 19 year old Kwan go head to head against a 19 year old Kim.

At 19, I'm sure Michelle would've had a similar approach used by Team Yuna in squeezing out each and every point - but we would've missed out on that sick COE spiral gliding across the ice. Under the ordinal system, we'd missed Yuna's greatness altogether because she doesn't have a complete set of triples, which would've killed her. Also, she probably would've suffered by the ability of S. Korea to effectively lobby for her witin the ISU.

I suggest stop trying to compare the two and just worship each for the talent and passion they bring to the ice.

As of Yuna's starpower in Korea - based on what I've read, she seems to be more Michael Jordan at home than Michelle Kwan. Which makes sense - she's that country's only true international sports icon. It will be interesting to see what happens if and when she retires to lead a "normal life."

Michelle made an excellent living for herself as America's Top Ice Kween - but she left close to $10 million on the table in 2002 by not winning the OGM and another $15 million in 2006 with the injury. But she's still the highest paid US skater (even today) and one of the top female athletes in the country. Not too shabby for a non OGM winning ice skater in a country that tends to only pay attention every four years.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yes ATR but I think she took just a few classes and yes, she had endorsements but it is a fraction of the commercial work YUNA does.

Kwan is our megastar but her life and earnings are small potatos compared to Yuna Kim. I don't think its at all exaggerated.

$4 million, about half to Yuna's $8-9 million, ain't so bad (All monetary figures = before the 2002 & 2010 Olympic Games). :) And simply taking a few courses still counts as going to school! ;)

Small potatoes? She could give them to me if she didn't want 'em. Ahahaha. :laugh:

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF4e1mtzr_Y

When Yu-Na does something that artistically profound, you can start debating who the best is. Until then, there is no debate.

:yay::yay:

See - just when I think I've gotten to a place of complete maturity and objective review, you start trouble... every. single. time.

I tried. I failed. :bow:Michelle Kwan :bow:is the best figure skater of all time and everybody wants to be her when they grow up. Period. (Blades - you broke me. Are you happy now?;))

princess9

On the Ice
It was an emotional skate but I would not call it one ofKwan's great programs as in difficulty. I saw FOG live and it was nothing like at the Oly because all that angst was missing.

I agree with the essence of your statement. Michelle is a deep person and while James Bond SP and Gershwin were fun, well skated programs, they were light and effervescent. Kwan chose more lyrical, often majestic music and is by all accounts a deep thinker. I would suggest her Lyra Angelica at 17 at Nationals and Nagano showed the depths of her artistry and was a better example of profound artistry. It was very pure. Michelle skates with an intensity and openness that so many found irresistable.

I think team YuNa make good choices for her, capturing her acting, sexy, flirtatious side in her SP and then they go with the crowd pleasing and well known Gershwin music. Music choice is so important. As she matures, maybe as a pro, I hope they continue to challenge her with diverse music selections so we get to see more and different sides of her skating.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I tried. I failed. :bow:Michelle Kwan :bow:is the best figure skater of all time and everybody wants to be her when they grow up. Period. (Blades - you broke me. Are you happy now?;))

Breaking the Kwan barrier is like breaking the sound barrier. It might get loud at first but eventually you reach the point of supersonic and there is no turning back.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
In all honesty it will be very difficult for anyone to reach Kwan's level until CoP is changed so that ugly, laborious moves are not mandatory in programs.

Yu-Na's programs in 2007 could have been on the same level as some of Kwan's best programs, had it not been for the unnecessary required elements in the Spirals and some of the spins. That's the only year where I would potentially put them on the same level. Since then, Yu-Na's programs have been more about posing than truly becoming one with the music. She has grown in confidence and improved her extensions and the sharpness of her movements, but I actually haven't found as much artistic depth in her performances since 2007.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was an emotional skate but I would not call it one ofKwan's great programs as in difficulty. I saw FOG live and it was nothing like at the Oly because all that angst was missing.

It was an exhibition. Exhibitions are never among the most difficult programs. It is nevertheless one of her great programs, in my opinion, because of her superior skating skills--edging, one-foot skating--and because of the lyricism and emotion she puts into it. She did it again at 2003 Worlds. Look it up.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Michelle and Kim are completely different skaters with different strengths and weaknesses. But I see one important similarity: Both skate with astonishing confidence and ease. I think it comes from a good technical base - probably the product of great coaching, in good part.
Michelle makes me cry. She projects the audience better than Yuna. Better than anyone. But Yuna makes my heart pound with her speed and musicality. I also have enormous respect for her for being able to have fun and interesting programs under COP. (David Wilson gets the bulk of the credit but he's also lucky to work with a skater who can pull off Dance Macabre and James Bond with such ease.)

As for their legacy, no way is Yuna the legend Michelle is in the U.S. But halfway across the world, it's impossible to exaggerate Yuna's influence on Asian skaters. So it probably depends on your perspective.

I admit I prefer Michelle. But Michelle is gone and it has been Yuna's time. And thank the skating gods for her.