Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kween and the Queen

Custom Title
    Comparing Michlle with Yuna???? They are totally different skater. I know I am very biased about Michelle. But to me, Michelle can not be compared with anyone. She is not flexible like some of the current skaters, but I was so impressed when she opened up to go into her spiral position. Michelle was the most charismatic skater I have ever seen. I really do not know what it was, but when she skated I felt shiver on my back. She put 1000 percents effort everytime she skates. I really miss that time when both Sasha and Michelle were competing. I just do not feel that kind of excitement and emotion when I look at Yuna or any other current skaters competing.

Hehe. I would say the exact opposite and say that Yuna cannot be compared with anyone. In fact, just exchange the word "Michelle" with "Yuna" in your post and I would agree with you 100%!

Custom Title
    I just want to say mutual admiration between the two is just GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by GoPC2018 View Post
    I just want to say mutual admiration between the two is just GREAT!
    Yes. It's the most wonderful thing!

On the Ice
    Sorry about the post been so long and my poor english, but it is just some feeling about Yuna that I want to share.

One thing I very impressive about Yuna is how her improved evey year during her first debut to the senior level.

Back to 06, I knew Yuna was the current junior champion and Kimmie was the current world champion when I first watched them in TEB and I was quite surprised the different between these two when I saw them skate because Yuna seemed more mature and her tango program showed very good musicility espically during the steps, she hit the steps nicely with the music. And her larking ascending lp, it was so difficult choreographed with so much detail and in-betweens in every movement and it was very fit her, she just like a little bird tried hard to fly into the sky, it was very touching when I saw it. However, at that time, I thought she still a bit unpolish and the movements here and there seemed unfinished sometimes, her spiral was terrible,and she totally had no energy at the end of the program. Anyway, at the first time I saw her, I thought she has a lot of potential to be a great skater.

In 2008, As for some personal issues, worlds free skate was the first time during that season I was able to watch skating, and I knew Yuna had a big mistake in short so only was 5th in ranking. To be honest, I was quite disappointed about her Miss Saigon lp. In my opinion, it was a step back from the lark program. It seemed on focus on jumps and not a lot of in-betweens in the elements. I knew some Yuna fans complained about the results, but I think the result was fair in that competition. Yuna was not at her usual standard because her injures, she tried her best to finish the program. So although I was disappointed about her program, I admired her very much for did her program with the injures. After world, I went home and watched some of her performance in GP and I found although I don’t like the lp, she made some improvement of her skating over the summer. Like the spiral, the sit spin, and the strengh and the body movement and I actually quite like her sp. It was very cute and steps was well designed with the music.

2008-2009 was the season that I followed skating during GPs while watched Russian Webtv and I was “Wow” when I saw her Danse Macabre sp. Everything in this program, the music, the movements, the dress, the makeup were so fit her, and her performance at worlds was the best I’ve seen from her both technicily and artisticily. I also thought she improved a lot again during the summer. She had very deep blade, seemed flying cross the ice and her spiral also improved. I knew she was not flexiable, but her edge became very steady, and she controlled herself very well. It was not just fast fast fast, it was actully change speed in the program and I thought it was qi\uite difficult to control but Yuna did well in worlds. I was very happy that she won the worlds that year with her performance but I still not so much love about her lp, it was a lot better than Miss Saigon, but not as good as the lark ascending in my opinion.

Then its 09-10, the Olympic season. Firstly, I must say I was quite surprised about her music choice for the Oltmpic. Bond and Gershwin, Wow, never thought these two pieces would be combined together. But after I saw the programs in TEB, I must say I was again impressive bu her programs and for the first time since 06-07, I liked her lp a lot than her sp. To be honest, I think her bond sp was quite similar to dance macabre. The elments placed in the same place, but the music edition was very good, better than I expected and Yuna was actully quite into the bond girl role in a good way. So I was enjoy her performance but not like the sp as much as I like dance macabre. But her lp, I really like it even since the first time I saw it. Although in TEB, yuna seemed not masterly with the program but the program itself got me “wow”. It was totally different designed from her last year program with full of the trasctions between elments. In addition, it was lots of one foot skating and always change direction during the programs. It was a really difficult program and so good with the music. And I admired her to change 3-3, put entrance to her 2-2-2 and 2-3 combo, and I love the footwalk, it was not as difficult as Mao’s, but it went with the music so well, the whole program just liked a dream. However, I was worried about Yuna because she seemed not able to perform the program with its potential during the GP.

And then it was the Olympic. What can I say about her performance. I think OS168 aleady put amazing words about the progams. I kept about 10 different version of her Olympic Lp and just like NBC said “the result is yours forever, but the skate is something truly is the most memorable things about the olympic experience.” I think I will remember her Olympic performance, and like Yuna herself said in an interview before Olympic, if she wons the Olympic, she would said to her coach, good job and congratulate. Really, congratulate to you, Yuna.

Although she decided not retire yet, but I still think she’ll not compete again. Maybe she will leave in Oct, and I wish her all best in the future, and hope one day she look back her younger year and think, Look at what I achieved, it was a fantsitc job.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Heck, yeah! I'm from Detroit, and the Detroit Pistons had a guy named Joe Dumars who had Michael in his pocket. Here's Joe (number 4) on the cover of Sports illustrated in 1990.

http://www.rayimre.com/d/940-2/Joe+Dumars+11-6-89.JPG

We tore up Jordan and the Chicago Bulls in the playoffs on the way to the 1989 and 1990 NBA championships.

Then in 1991 those cheating NBA referees got together with the crooked politicians in the NBA commissioners office -- personally, I think the Chicago mob made them an offer they couldn't refuse -- so they let Michael win in 1991.
    I know I am a bit late to comment on this, but I just could not regist as I was a Joe fan

Thad said... Hey, YunaBliss, you can worship Yuna as much as you want, but PLEASE do not speak of her in a class of MJ.
    She is not there yet. Also, as great as Jordan is as a basketball player, any basketball fan knows there was a "Jordan Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by woshisunnya View Post

And then it was the Olympic. What can I say about her performance. I think OS168 aleady put amazing words about the progams. I kept about 10 different version of her Olympic Lp and just like NBC said “the result is yours forever, but the skate is something truly is the most memorable things about the olympic experience.” I think I will remember her Olympic performance
    IOC President Jacque Rogge would agree with you: He said "Watching Kim Yu-Na dominate like she did touched me in away that I haven't been touched since Torvill and Dean in Sarajevo." ^^

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    Comparing Michlle with Yuna???? They are totally different skater. I know I am very biased about Michelle. But to me, Michelle can not be compared with anyone. She is not flexible like some of the current skaters, but I was so impressed when she opened up to go into her spiral position. Michelle was the most charismatic skater I have ever seen. I really do not know what it was, but when she skated I felt shiver on my back. She put 1000 percents effort everytime she skates. I really miss that time when both Sasha and Michelle were competing. I just do not feel that kind of excitement and emotion when I look at Yuna or any other current skaters competing.
    Prokofiev, part of the reason I stayed away from this thread is for me there is only one queen the Kween

I am glad Michelle and KYN seem to be fond of each other.

Now about comparing kyn to MJ. I agree with rondo that kyn is not the MJ of skating. Maybe she has the potential if she sticks around for at least another 4 - 8yrs. MJ loved the game so much that he competed until someone beat him off the tops. I seriously doubted kyn will stay and let the next generation skater(s) beat her. It has not been in the figure skating tradition. Most OGM choose to retire instead of sticking around and compete until the next great one beat them. Kat's return to olys in 1994 was an exception.
    Last edited by rtureck; 06-05-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    Prokofiev, part of the reason I stayed away from this thread is for me there is only one queen the Kween

Now about comparing kyn to MJ. I agree with rondo that kyn is not the MJ of skating. Maybe she has the potential if she sticks around for at least another 4 - 8yrs. MJ loved the game so much that he competed until someone beat him off the tops. I seriously doubted kyn will stay and let the next generation skater(s) beat her. It has not been in the figure skating tradition. Most OGM choose to retire instead of sticking around and compete until the next great one beat them. Kat's return to olys in 1994 was an exception.
    You are right, rtureck. THERE IS ONLY ONE QUEEN AND THAT IS KWEEN!!!!!!!
    I really admire Kat for that, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post

Are we talking about Michael Jordan? Remember he retired from 1994 and 1995. He played again because baseball didn't work for him, plus his father's death. Jordan wasn't perfect. He depended on Jackson's coaching ability, Pippen, and the rest of the team. He had to face the Bad Boys of Detroit before he became a champion. Some say he was an average passer and a shooter.

^^^
    Good post. Comparisons of skaters can not be made based on 1 season's showing. I think comparisons can only be made on their Bodies of Work.

With the eminence of super Asian skaters, there is a 'push' to make them fit in with the past greats. Not easy, imo. It takes time, but with Mao and Yuna (Dai, too) it will come before Sochi.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brownfox View Post
    Are we talking about Michael Jordan? Remember he retired from 1994 and 1995. He played again because baseball didn't work for him, plus his father's death. Jordan wasn't perfect. He depended on Jackson's coaching ability, Pippen, and the rest of the team. He had to face the Bad Boys of Detroit before he became a champion. Some say he was an average passer and a shooter.
    Veering way off topic, MJ didn't need Jackson to be great. He needed him to win. Michael wanted to do it all himself. And why not? He was better than everyone else. Jackson got him to pass the ball once in a while. He made him more of a team player. That was when the Bulls started winning. And an average shooter? I don't think so. He was the best, and could do it all. Just to keep this slightly on the subject, Michelle is more like MJ than Yu Na is because she, like MJ, had no real weakness. Perhaps Michelle just never found her Phil Jackson who could guide her to Olympic gold.

Quote Originally Posted by brownfox View Post
    . Some say he was an average passer and a shooter.
    I never heard anybody who knew much about basketball say that about MJ.

Care to quote your sources ?

In a stellar career that needs no words of praise from me, when the game was on the line the ball was inevitably placed in Jordan's hands.

His last championship game he took the shot that won the game as the clock was winding down.
    In the championship game that preceeded that he read the court and through a double team passed the ball off to Paxton who sank the shot that clinched the championship.

I am not a Bulls fan - but as a former b-ball player and one who has watched alot, I have never seen a player as complete or great as Jordan. If a game got testy as when the x-man McDaniel tried to rough up Pippen - it was Jordan who got in his face and backed him down.

A great player, a great leader, extremely skilled in all aspects of the game and without peer in the modern era.

I disagree. I am not talking about BODIES OF WORK or LONGEVITY And neither are figure skating experts.

I am talking about the way Yuna is DOMINATING the rest of the field, including Mao. I just saw 2009 Skate America again, and Scott Hamilton noted half-jokingly that "if anybody comes within 30 points of Yuna, they should feel proud."

Such domination has been very rare in any sport, and it is clear that Yuna is in a class of her own at the moment. Just like MJ or Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps.

No one can refute Michelle Kwan's legacy, but was she so DOMINATE during her competitive career? I am not sure.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    I disagree. I am not talking about BODIES OF WORK or LONGEVITY And neither are figure skating experts.

I am talking about the way Yuna is DOMINATING the rest of the field, including Mao. I just saw 2009 Skate America again, and Scott Hamilton noted half-jokingly that "if anybody comes within 30 points of Yuna, they should feel proud."

Such domination has been very rare in any sport, and it is clear that Yuna is in a class of her own at the moment. Just like MJ or Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps.

No one can refute Michelle Kwan's legacy,. but was she so DOMINATE during her competitive career? I am not sure.
    Kwan = 5 time World Champion, that showed dominance.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast