Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kween and the Queen

Shoe Diva
    Its difficult to compare the two in objective kinda way because they are from different eras and compete under very different rules... but since both are the greatest of their "generation" and it would've been cool to see a 19 year old Kwan go head to head against a 19 year old Kim.

At 19, I'm sure Michelle would've had a similar approach used by Team Yuna in squeezing out each and every point - but we would've missed out on that sick COE spiral gliding across the ice. Under the ordinal system, we'd missed Yuna's greatness altogether because she doesn't have a complete set of triples, which would've killed her. Also, she probably would've suffered by the ability of S. Korea to effectively lobby for her witin the ISU.

I suggest stop trying to compare the two and just worship each for the talent and passion they bring to the ice.

As of Yuna's starpower in Korea - based on what I've read, she seems to be more Michael Jordan at home than Michelle Kwan. Which makes sense - she's that country's only true international sports icon. It will be interesting to see what happens if and when she retires to lead a "normal life."

Michelle made an excellent living for herself as America's Top Ice Kween - but she left close to $10 million on the table in 2002 by not winning the OGM and another $15 million in 2006 with the injury. But she's still the highest paid US skater (even today) and one of the top female athletes in the country. Not too shabby for a non OGM winning ice skater in a country that tends to only pay attention every four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Entire post.

ITA. All of it.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 05-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Yes ATR but I think she took just a few classes and yes, she had endorsements but it is a fraction of the commercial work YUNA does.
    Kwan is our megastar but her life and earnings are small potatos compared to Yuna Kim. I don't think its at all exaggerated.
    $4 million, about half to Yuna's $8-9 million, ain't so bad (All monetary figures = before the 2002 & 2010 Olympic Games). (: And simply taking a few courses still counts as going to school!

Small potatoes? She could give them to me if she didn't want 'em. Ahahaha.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 05-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF4e1mtzr_Y

When Yu-Na does something that artistically profound, you can start debating who the best is. Until then, there is no debate.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF4e1mtzr_Y

When Yu-Na does something that artistically profound, you can start debating who the best is. Until then, there is no debate.

See - just when I think I've gotten to a place of complete maturity and objective review, you start trouble... every. single. time.

I tried. I failed. Michelle Kwan is the best figure skater of all time and everybody wants to be her when they grow up. Period. (Blades - you broke me. Are you happy now?)

Custom Title
    It was an emotional skate but I would not call it one ofKwan's great programs as in difficulty. I saw FOG live and it was nothing like at the Oly because all that angst was missing.

I agree with the essence of your statement. Michelle is a deep person and while James Bond SP and Gershwin were fun, well skated programs, they were light and effervescent. Kwan chose more lyrical, often majestic music and is by all accounts a deep thinker. I would suggest her Lyra Angelica at 17 at Nationals and Nagano showed the depths of her artistry and was a better example of profound artistry. It was very pure. Michelle skates with an intensity and openness that so many found irresistable.

I think team YuNa make good choices for her, capturing her acting, sexy, flirtatious side in her SP and then they go with the crowd pleasing and well known Gershwin music. Music choice is so important. As she matures, maybe as a pro, I hope they continue to challenge her with diverse music selections so we get to see more and different sides of her skating.

I tried. I failed. Michelle Kwan is the best figure skater of all time and everybody wants to be her when they grow up. Period. (Blades - you broke me. Are you happy now?)
    Breaking the Kwan barrier is like breaking the sound barrier. It might get loud at first but eventually you reach the point of supersonic and there is no turning back.

In all honesty it will be very difficult for anyone to reach Kwan's level until CoP is changed so that ugly, laborious moves are not mandatory in programs.

Yu-Na's programs in 2007 could have been on the same level as some of Kwan's best programs, had it not been for the unnecessary required elements in the Spirals and some of the spins. That's the only year where I would potentially put them on the same level. Since then, Yu-Na's programs have been more about posing than truly becoming one with the music. She has grown in confidence and improved her extensions and the sharpness of her movements, but I actually haven't found as much artistic depth in her performances since 2007.

Custom Title
    It was an emotional skate but I would not call it one ofKwan's great programs as in difficulty. I saw FOG live and it was nothing like at the Oly because all that angst was missing.
    It was an exhibition. Exhibitions are never among the most difficult programs. It is nevertheless one of her great programs, in my opinion, because of her superior skating skills--edging, one-foot skating--and because of the lyricism and emotion she puts into it. She did it again at 2003 Worlds. Look it up.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Michelle and Kim are completely different skaters with different strengths and weaknesses. But I see one important similarity: Both skate with astonishing confidence and ease. I think it comes from a good technical base - probably the product of great coaching, in good part.
    Michelle makes me cry. She projects the audience better than Yuna. Better than anyone. But Yuna makes my heart pound with her speed and musicality. I also have enormous respect for her for being able to have fun and interesting programs under COP. (David Wilson gets the bulk of the credit but he's also lucky to work with a skater who can pull off Dance Macabre and James Bond with such ease.)

As for their legacy, no way is Yuna the legend Michelle is in the U.S. But halfway across the world, it's impossible to exaggerate Yuna's influence on Asian skaters. So it probably depends on your perspective.

I admit I prefer Michelle. But Michelle is gone and it has been Yuna's time. And thank the skating gods for her.

Custom Title
    I definitely agree!

See - just when I think I've gotten to a place of complete maturity and objective review, you start trouble... every. single. time.

Haha. I just had the same reaction!! I tried to post the an objective comparison and then rewatched FOG and thought, oh to heck with it. There is just no one like Michelle Kwan.

But calming down a little, I just say this: Kim Yuna is not Michelle Kwan. Nor should she try to be. She needs to be herself. And whoever appreciates her skating, great, and those who never will, too bad for them.

Yuna hooked me with this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjdMwMvd35g

"Mind-boggling" is the call from the Euro announcers

I was going to say whoever saw such skating from a 16 year old?
    Michelle was already great at 15 - but I really don't need to compare them because both are not only great but also special to me.

Different skaters have different strengths and although I am not necessarily as jump oriented as many posters here - the 3x3 is simply "mind-boggling."

Sometimes I wish Yuna would start to perform the "Roxanne" again because her skating is more refined now. But I am not sure if she could match the the feelings she expressed the same way.... I dunno, something about seeing a 16 year old skating so well is more than enough for me.

Custom Title
    I love them both!!!!

The only thing I want to add is Michelle did leave a lot of endorsement opportunities on the table by her own doing. I think Michelle and Yu-Na are very similar in that htey are private people and rather not be thrusted in the lime light so much. But I think Michelle has more freedom to pick and choose while there are much more demands placed upon Yu-Na. This isn't to say Michelle would've made Yu-Na money, just that she could've made more if she wanted to be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yuna hooked me with this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjdMwMvd35g

"Mind-boggling" is the call from the Euro announcers

I was going to say whoever saw such skating from a 16 year old?
    Michelle was already great at 15 - but I really don't need to compare them because both are not only great but also special to me.

Different skaters have different strengths and although I am not necessarily as jump oriented as many posters here - the 3x3 is simply "mind-boggling."

Sometimes I wish Yuna would start to perform the "Roxanne" again because her skating is more refined now. But I am not sure if she could match the the feelings she expressed the same way.... I dunno, something about seeing a 16 year old skating so well is more than enough for me.
    Whew. She is just exhilerating. I know she probably won't but it would just be so fabulous to watch her win four more world championships on her way to a second OGM medal...

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast