Word Pronunciation Pet Peeves | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Word Pronunciation Pet Peeves

I grew up hearing 'mirra' too, but not hamburg (in FL).

In 10 days I'll be going to NC for the first time in lo! these many years to visit an elderly aunt. I will take careful note of her "dialect." But for the most part I find them charming rather than irritating. "Acrost," however, on the lips of a Ph.D.... :bang:

BTW, in illustration of my previous point to Doris about Southern politicians:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7fhIO7DG0
He doesn't dwell on pronunciation here but I could certainly imagine him in a debate:
"How do you pronounce W-H-Y?"
"Why."
"Nup. WHAH."
Etc.
Note the number of views.

ETA: I just remember, it wasn't "mirra" I grew up with but "mirrow." It was years before I realized that anyone pronounced that word differently.

My mother (transplanted Kansan in Jacksonville, FL) called pilaf "perlow"... and I still do too when I make her dish.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Now that I think about it, I'm not crazy about
ax or aks instead of ask

And my unfavorite of all, especially since so many ostensibly well educated people use it:

newcular instead of nuclear

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
How about those people who write ( not just say, but WRITE ) "would of", "could of" and "should of"; rather than "would have", "could have" and "should have"?

Wicked

Final Flight
Definitely but my hubby is from northern NJ - I didn't think that was an area with much of a dialect.

These two examples sound like they'd have the same geographic origin but I think I grew up hearing "twiste" ("twycte") in the South. What do you think, PB?

Got a friend from the same area in NJ who also says "twyste" instead of "twice." Relatives from that area say "biskettis" for "spaghetti" and "mines" instead of "mine." But the word that bothers me the most is definitely "newcular." Especially when politicians say it!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My very proper cousin always called it pissketti. But then she had trouble with b/p, too. I wonder if there was a NJite in her family?

I couldn't stand to hear her say itl

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ruff for roof

dowel for doll

Clowset for closet

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My mother-in-law used to say, "I give three dollars for that" instead of "I paid three dollars for that"..............she's gone now, so I miss her mid-western way of speech...........42