So You Think You Can Dance 2010 - Who's Watching? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance 2010 - Who's Watching?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't see the exchange re: Mia... but it sounds like she's going for the Simon Cowell reward, don't see what the big deal is. it works for him.
For me the difference is.... Simon would say....you suck!!! Mia says...Adechike you suck but Alex doesn't.

I don't think clogging was the name Nigel used.

i love to skate

Medalist
He called her a "hoofer" - I have no idea what that means :laugh:

I am so so so so so disappointed about Alex. I honestly don't even feel like watching the show anymore... This week was a complete bust without him.

As for Mia, she does need to keep some of her comments to herself but when she said she missed Alex this week - I totally know what she meant. Should she have said it? No. However, I do understand where she was coming from as his level of dance was/is much higher than the other contestants, IMO.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He called her a "hoofer" - I have no idea what that means :laugh:

I am so so so so so disappointed about Alex. I honestly don't even feel like watching the show anymore... This week was a complete bust without him
Yes, that was the name...hoofer. I looked it up

The most common style of tap dancing is called "classical tap." Classical tap dancers, known as "tappers", use their arms and upper bodies to blend movements of ballet or jazz into their tap routines. On the other hand, "hoofers" are tap dancers that focus on their footwork, using very little upper body or arm movements. Hoofers try to use every part of their shoes to make their feet sound like drums. A popular performance of this style of tap dancing is Riverdance.

I will miss Alex also.

heyang

Record Breaker
Well, Mia was nice this week and everyone did ok to really well. I didn't think any of the routines were really memorable for the long term....

BTW, is it just me, or are they overselling Jose? Yes, he was really good at the b-boy routine with Dominic. However, it's his specialty - he's supposed to do well. I also felt that Dominic was sharper in his movements than Jose - in one of their early side-by-side moves, Dominic's spin was clearly bigger and faster. Yet, no mention from the judges that Jose didn't keep up. It's not that it wasn't good, but I didn't consider it to be as spectacular as they were explaining and that part of the credit goes to Dominic. At least, they commented correctly on his routine with Courtney.

Did they show Ashley in the audience? I'm thinking that she's got to have a significant injury if she couldn't sit in the audience. I know sitting with a hurt rib is more uncomfortable than sitting with an injured leg. I suspect that Lauren will be the sole female next week.

My bottom 2 would be Jose and Billy. However, I think the fans will save Jose and it'll be someone else in the bottom 2.

Kent's clearly the front runner right now based upon the shrieks from the audience. If you're on facebook and a fan of the show, each contestant posts something on Wednesday's. Based upon the response, you can get a sense of who may be bottom by the # of 'like's.

heyang

Record Breaker
Heyang, thank you so much for the links.
I became a fan of Benji. His hip hop number with Donyelle was super cool.

Just rewatched that one and it made me realize how much I miss Shane Sparks. Since the show, Donyelle has collaborated with Shane on choreography.

Benji is one of my all time favorites, too. He just has a really engaging personality and, with the exception of one routine with # 6 Natalie, he was wonderful. Never in the bottom 3. He's choreo'd at least one routine for Pasha and Sara on season 3 - West Coast swing that was awesome. Benji and Donyelle had instant chemistry. I wish I could find their Viennese (or as Donyelle would say 'Vietnamese Waltz') Waltz.

Another routine that I can't find is Joshua and Twitch's Trepak - the only clips I've found are bad recordings from the tour. THis Russian folk dance during the finale was awesome - it was actually so difficult that both guys had to go to the hospital for dehydration from doing this and other rehearsals for the finals that year.

heyang

Record Breaker
Here's a good fan site, too.. http://www.sytycdism.com/

Season 6

Kayla & Kupono's Contemporary - Mia Michael's Addiction, emmy nominated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-pMWqAWd8&feature=related
Kathryn (a season 7 all-star) and Ryan (whose wife also competed during season 6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBsn6lp8GHs&feature=related
Kathryn (#3 or 4) with Russell (#1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0jy4-jrZhQ&feature=related
Ashleigh and Ryan (married couple) performing contemporary (specialty is latin ballroom) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_JssnEjVs&feature=related

Season was also known for having 3 tappers - the 1st time any tapper made it to top 20. Also, Ashleigh made top 20 because another young lady (Paula?) gave up her spot for a paying job. My co-worker's daughters (who dance - the oldest even got to Vegas week for season 4) knew her from various workshops and had been sure that Paula would make top 20 - thus, were disappointed that she chose the job. This was also the season where the opening was changed and the show began taping on the current stage.

Season 5 - Melissa and Ade Breast Cancer routine by Tyce DiOrio, Emmy nominated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69uB6rkOTcU&feature=related Ade is an awesome partner and I don't think the SYTYCD fans appreciated him enough.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Jose, granted I've only seen him once (tonight) but I wasn't into it at all...

And I am SO confused as I don't know who is competing and who isn't. Lauren is a 'pro' right? but then Cat was all "if you want to vote for Lauren" so I have no idea. So far the only one I've liked tonight was the Boogie Shoes.

heyang

Record Breaker
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Jose, granted I've only seen him once (tonight) but I wasn't into it at all...

And I am SO confused as I don't know who is competing and who isn't. Lauren is a 'pro' right? but then Cat was all "if you want to vote for Lauren" so I have no idea. So far the only one I've liked tonight was the Boogie Shoes.

All Stars are past competitors - Allyson (season 2), Twitch (s4), Comfort (s4), Lauren (season 3), Neil (s3), Dominic (s3), Mark (s3) Kupono, Courtney (s3), Kathryn (s5), Pasha (s3) and Anya (s3)

The only remaining competitors for season 7 are Lauren (blonde), Ashley (did not dance this week due to injurY), Adechike, Jose, Robert, Billy, Kent.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
OHHHHHHHH OK! Didn't realize there were two Laurens...

but, wait, so the competitors are doing one dance with a pro and then one dance with another competitor? because Billy danced with Lauren, right?

heyang

Record Breaker
Season 7 highlight's

Alex and Twitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNH34Q7BB44
Alex tried out for season 5 and would've gotten top 20, but he was on contract with the Miami Ballet and they wouldn't release him from his contract. The week after the above routine, he tore his achilles while rehearsing a Bollywood #.

Season 3 - Hok & Jamie's Hummingbird by Wade Robson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANToNKXemuw

Hok auditioned during season 2 and would've gotten top 20, but he had a student visa, not a work visa. He and Lacey Schwimmer dated for a while - they originally met because brother Benji met him during season 2 Vegas week. Lacey & Hok got to know each other better while competing during season 3.

Jamie's teacher is also Travis Wall's (season 2 #2) and Danny Tidwell's (season 3 #2) mother.

Editing to add a link to Jamie and Hok's dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gF_izDK1jY Didn't realize the other was the pre-dance fluff.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
OHHHHHHHH OK! Didn't realize there were two Laurens...

but, wait, so the competitors are doing one dance with a pro and then one dance with another competitor? because Billy danced with Lauren, right?

Yes, top 11 this year. During the earlier part of the competition, the competitors did one routine with an all-star. Then 2 weeks ago, they did a dance with an all-star and a solo. Last week and this week, it's one with an all-star and one with a fellow competitor.

All-star Lauren didn't participate this week; so, it's not surprising that you wouldn't realize that there are 2.

heyang

Record Breaker
Here's one of the more memorable group #'s ......this clip is actually during the 100th episode special and choreographer Wade Robson actually performed in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze3vtKpCoaE&NR=1

Originally, it aired as the group # for the top 10 results show of season 2. Only 9 performed it that night because Natalie (top 6) strained her knee and was advised to rest that night. Other top 10 that year were Benji, Travis, Heidi, Donyelle, Ivan, Dmitry, Allison, Martha and Ryan. It was later performed by the top 20 during the finale results show of season 2.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok I'm super confused, did Billy do three routines? I thought I saw three different routines, and Jose danced with two all-stars, not one of each?

seriously am not following it at this point and not sure i'll tune in next week :laugh: I love this show, but not if I can't figure out what's going on. I feel so dense.

ok strike that three dances by Billy I had him confused with Kent

heyang

Record Breaker
ok I'm super confused, did Billy do three routines? I thought I saw three different routines, and Jose danced with two all-stars, not one of each?

seriously am not following it at this point and not sure i'll tune in next week :laugh: I love this show, but not if I can't figure out what's going on. I feel so dense.

ok strike that three dances by Billy I had him confused with Kent

There were supposed to be 7 dance contestants this week - odd #. Jose was the odd man; so, he was paired with a 2nd all-star instead of another contestant. We only saw 6 contestants because Ashley became injured - which is why Robert also danced with a 2nd all-star (Allyson for Travis Wall's contemporary and Kathryn for the ballroom)

I think they should've just had 3 contestants dance together, instead of having Jose dance with all-star Dominic for the 2nd routine.

No need to feel dense since that was a '1st' and Billy & kent do resemble each other in build from a distance and they are both bubbly.

BTW, I enjoyed Boogie Shoes the most of last night.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Mia was nice this week and everyone did ok to really well.

I honestly at this point don't think she knows how she is coming across.:rolleye: When she was judging Jose....saying ....I just can't look at you right now....she's there to judge his dancing...did he do a good job or not?????

Heyang said:
My bottom 2 would be Jose and Billy. However, I think the fans will save Jose and it'll be someone else in the bottom 2.

It would be sad to let Billy go based on his dancing :disapp:....my opinion ...he is the best technique wise of the dancers.:yes:

Heyang said:
Kent's clearly the front runner right now based upon the shrieks from the audience. If you're on facebook and a fan of the show, each contestant posts something on Wednesday's. Based upon the response, you can get a sense of who may be bottom by the # of 'like's.
I like Kent but he is just a little toooooooooooo silly for me. I just have a hard time with men being silly like that....Kurt Browning, Benji and now Kent.

heyang

Record Breaker
I honestly at this point don't think she knows how she is coming across.:rolleye: When she was judging Jose....saying ....I just can't look at you right now....she's there to judge his dancing...did he do a good job or not?????

It would be sad to let Billy go based on his dancing :disapp:....my opinion ...he is the best technique wise of the dancers.:yes:

I like Kent but he is just a little toooooooooooo silly for me. I just have a hard time with men being silly like that....Kurt Browning, Benji and now Kent.

Sigh, yes, Mia couldn't bear to look into Jose's puppy dog eyes and give him a harsh word.

I think my 1st post about this weekend mentioned thinking Ashley would likely be out because I was concerned that she wasn't able to attend the performance show. I was shocked that my picks for the other 2 of the 3 in the bottom actually happened. Jose has had a big fan base, but I guess the people who expect more dancing either called in more for the others or stopped calling for him. Billy's been in the bottom at least 1 or 2 other weeks- for whatever reasons, he's failed to connect with the viewing audience. Since Robert has toned down his goofiness and Nigel stated that he was not arrogant as mentioned in the message boards, he's been safe. I think people vote for Adechike because they can see power in his dancing and they don't like how he's been beaten up - plus he has shown improvement. I've come to appreciate Lauren more as compared to the beginning, but I think I will be very shocked if she's in the top 2.

I've alwayse enjoyed Benji. His goofiness seemed natural and he didn't carry into his dancing unless appropriate. I think the young girls like Kent's 'country awe-shucks' naivite, but I'd rather seem him work on his dancing more.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt is energetic, not 'silly'... he can be fantastically serious and controlled when it's called for, just as he can be random and spontaneous (again, though, always in control). shocked to see him be thought as otherwise. to each their own :love:

i love to skate

Medalist
Sigh, yes, Mia couldn't bear to look into Jose's puppy dog eyes and give him a harsh word.

But she did give her criticism though. The judges said the dancing wasn't good enough and that his lack of training showed. Either way, I love Jose, I think he is an absolute sweetheart and he has tackled everything that has been thrown at him. :biggrin:

I think my 1st post about this weekend mentioned thinking Ashley would likely be out because I was concerned that she wasn't able to attend the performance show. I was shocked that my picks for the other 2 of the 3 in the bottom actually happened. Jose has had a big fan base, but I guess the people who expect more dancing either called in more for the others or stopped calling for him. Billy's been in the bottom at least 1 or 2 other weeks- for whatever reasons, he's failed to connect with the viewing audience. Since Robert has toned down his goofiness and Nigel stated that he was not arrogant as mentioned in the message boards, he's been safe. I think people vote for Adechike because they can see power in his dancing and they don't like how he's been beaten up - plus he has shown improvement. I've come to appreciate Lauren more as compared to the beginning, but I think I will be very shocked if she's in the top 2.

I think Robert really was in the bottom three the past two weeks - but just didn't make it in the bottom because Alex and Ashley were there due to injury. I can't stand him at all - and want him gone ASAP. Does anyone remember that gagging stunt he pulled near the first couple weeks of the show?? What was that all about?? :confused:

Adechike has really grown on me, Kent is still too immature for my liking, I have always liked Lauren, and I think Billy will be gone very soon. He seems to do the same thing in his solos - although I did like his Boogie Shoes number this past week.

All in all, since Alex left and then Ashley left, the talent on the show has really gone downhill. I have to say this is my least favourite season of the show....:disapp:

heyang

Record Breaker
But she did give her criticism though. The judges said the dancing wasn't good enough and that his lack of training showed. Either way, I love Jose, I think he is an absolute sweetheart and he has tackled everything that has been thrown at him. :biggrin:

I think Robert really was in the bottom three the past two weeks - but just didn't make it in the bottom because Alex and Ashley were there due to injury. I can't stand him at all - and want him gone ASAP. Does anyone remember that gagging stunt he pulled near the first couple weeks of the show?? What was that all about?? :confused:

Personally, I don't see Jose the same way - probably because I do compare him to Legacy and Dominic who I felt did sooo much better than Jose. Each week, you could be amazed by what Legacy and Dominic did outside of their genres, whereas Jose has failed to impress me. Even in his own specialty, I didn't think he was a superstar.

I see your point about Robert and agree that he would be a likely candidate as the true bottom 3.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think I like Robert just because he looks like a coworker of mine from Wildride... :laugh: