Looking back to SLC and pairs event | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Looking back to SLC and pairs event

KKonas

Medalist
:biggrin:Ha ! the more things change , the more they stay the same. where does that leave Gorshkov with the ISU ?
He's the current head of the ISU technical committee. I believe it was Gorshkov who edged out Sally Stapleford when she was dumped,..Maybe Alla will take his old spot ?:laugh:

Does this merit it's own thread ?

Stapleford was the chair of the ISU Figure Skating Committee (singles and pairs). She was always a thorn in Cinquanta's side. Gorshkov is chair of the ISU Ice Dance Tech Committee - two different committees, so Gorshkov didn't replace Stapleford. Another Russian did.

There's always been suspiscion of the Soviet skaters, and in many cases, there was no need. Those Soviet skaters who were beyond suspicion deserved their placements.

Nowadays, there are no more Soviet skaters. There are Russian skaters as there are Ukrainian, Bylerussian, also. And the soviet allies as well, except for Sebestyen. Does this tell you anything?

KKonas

Medalist
There's always been suspiscion of the Soviet skaters, and in many cases, there was no need. Those Soviet skaters who were beyond suspicion deserved their placements.

Nowadays, there are no more Soviet skaters. There are Russian skaters as there are Ukrainian, Bylerussian, also. And the soviet allies as well, except for Sebestyen. Does this tell you anything?

Yes, Russia now has even more influence in the ISU.

princess9

On the Ice
And while I did not see it coming, the Love Story that was perfectly skated is no more. Well, with Russia owning the next pairs podium, remember well this gold medal for Canada in pairs 2002=Regardless of how you see the decision. Off the conspiracy topic, i'd like to see Jamie skate with Anton who has no partner. I expect to see S/P do a lot of rock n' roll type programs where they connect to the audience but not each other. I recall how poorly rec'd Zhulin/Grishuk were when they started skating together. The audience knowing their business might not buy it anymore in Canada. i believe we'll get to see them from Korea in July? Maybe I'm wrong and they'll be fine together. Always enjoyed them.

Just don't see how Jaime/Dave will project the thing this couple was known for. Too bad.