Remembering all those gone | Golden Skate

Remembering all those gone

princess9

On the Ice
To all those suffering painful memories this Memorial Day weekend, for family losses (my brother a month ago) and all those fallen heroes in the armed services, I salute them. This is a sad, solemn weekend for many people. My condolences to all quietly remembering, honoring or grieving.

God Bless,

Princess

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Princess, My prayers are with you and your family. It is very hard to lose a brother. Was he in military service?

princess9

On the Ice
Thank you Doris, no he was 65, it was sudden anneurism and surgery. Something went wrong in step down unit and he coded. Sadly it was my mother that was with him at 88. My dad died 3 years ago and we are still awaiting a government plaque as one cannot have headstones in that area. So we have to visit the grass. Many vets (WW2!) are waiting as the govt. has a waiting list from the newer fallen heros from the Iraq/Afghani conflicts. My dad proudly served as a sargent in the Pacific. To know one soldier is to know all. There are so many touching photos in the papers today. I pray they somehow all come home.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Aneurysm is very difficult. My husband had an abdominal aneurysm and surgery in 2000. He was in the hospital 63 days, but did recover. However, he has many effects of that operation. I wish that everyone would consider being screened for abdominal aneurysm, particularly if they have high blood pressure. It has no symptoms, until suddenly you need emergency surgery.

Memorial Day is a great time to remember all our loved ones who have passed away, as well as all the servicemen & women.

princess9

On the Ice
yes, he had high blood pressure, otherwise healthy. they pushed him out of ICU too soon given how big a surgery. He was very weak. A feeding tube went down and then stuff started happening. Slow response then everyone was there. He had a full life and did a lot. After triple A surgery he should have had more time in icu, his wife is iv nurse and was very confused. autopsy not definitive. prolly embolism. Wow 63 days! It sounds like your husband was very ill or got care that no one gets now. I am very frightened of the hospitals and the whole system. The hospitals push everyone. I was pushed out 3 days after hysto and had cancer. I guess it was his time to return "Home." His two kids are early 20's.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ski had a blockage, probably from a clot, that went into his leg following triple A surgery, but it happened in the ICU. Then he had to have bypass surgery on the leg. He then went into compartment syndrome, which meant a double fasciotomy & rhabdomyalysis, so he spent 13 days in and out of surgery & in ICU. Then he got MRSA. The rehab was very, very difficult, but it was located in the hospital, which was a good thing, on balance. They did save his leg & his life, but it was a very near thing, and he has foot drop and some kidney damage as a result. So it took 63 days.

Yes, I had uterine cancer, and it was a 3 day stay, I think. They do try to get you out of the hospitals because of the risk of infection not just the cost issues.

princess9

On the Ice
Very glad Ski had good outcome despite much suffering. Yes, sometimes it's to prevent infection but in my case it was my not so great insurance. I am 10 year survivor and also glad you are here. And not just for your great ice dance knowledge.:)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So am I! (I was diagnosed in 2000, right after Ski got home from the hospital. He was still in a wheel chair, on a Vancomycin IV drip, and had bandages that took about one hour to change them twice a day. In the midst of that, I had to have surgery and radiation treatments. We always say that, clearly, we were not built to a Y2K compliant design :laugh: )