Bowman's troubled life continues even after his death | Golden Skate

Bowman's troubled life continues even after his death

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's no wonder he ended up as he did, with all of this drama after his death I can just imagine what is was while he was alive. :no:

princess9

On the Ice
I never knew he was a child actor/model. Hollywood is a cesspit and everyday people who weren't famous end up this way. A lot of depressed or bipolar people use coke or oxy to get high.

He was very talented and this memorial day I pray his soul is at rest. This is heartrending, indeed. I think hollywood and the figureskating community can be very unforgiving. I do hope that someone who truly loved him will publish his autobiography. To go to Hollywood or to get to the top of US FS is really tough without huge support. I find him a likeable guy. He reminds me so much of Nicole Bobek. Big talent, heart on their sleeves skaters. I hope and pray she will get the rehab she needs and not prison. So sad.:cry:

heyang

Record Breaker
That's just really sad.....

As for her relationship with him, I'd tend to disregard the fiancee part of it, especially if she wasn't in the process of divorcing her husband BEFORE Chris's death. Otherwise, it's just too convenient to claim that they were going to get married.

Otherwise, at least in states like NY, only the parents, spouse and/or children have legal rights unless there is a will. Not sure of the precedence in Detroit or LA. If they were business partners, I would think that she only has some rights to use his image if that was the core of the business.

Is there really that much of a demand for Chris's image? He's been out of the limelight for so long, even before his death, that I can only imagine interest from within the skating community.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Is there really that much of a demand for Chris's image? He's been out of the limelight for so long, even before his death, that I can only imagine interest from within the skating community.

as I recall they were trying to get a tv show/talk show up and running a few years ago (she even posted on GS about it, IIRC). I don't think it made it further than their planning stages, but who knows?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wasn't there a video on youtbue about Chris and Frank Carroll and how upset Frank got at one event during a practice session. I can't find it now...

princess9

On the Ice
Perhaps someone asked that it be removed, maybe Frank himself. I think it's absurd, this legal game and as I said, even from the grave Bowman's story will serve as a cautionary tale to athletes and others who think they are in control of the drugs. I believe in the soul and this thread only makes me want to pray he is finally at peace. I don't remember a lot of comment at the time of his death from all the big names in the sport. Was this story basically ignored or did the USFSA have something kind to say?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Did John Baldwin ever make a statement about him? They remained friends.

he did after Bowman's death. as did Kurt Browning, Frank Carroll and a few other USFSA officials...

I don't remember a lot of comment at the time of his death from all the big names in the sport. Was this story basically ignored or did the USFSA have something kind to say?

They did a video tribute to him at US Nationals and held a moment of silence in his honor. and as stated above there were statements made in the media by several who knew him (Browning gave a competitor's prospective, Frank a coach's, and Baldwin was teh friendly voice).

Last edited:
What a sad, sordid story.

There was a regret-filled comment by Carroll in one story or another. I'm sure Carroll remembers the talented young child he coached and wishes things could have turned out better. Often, what people tend to feel at a time like this is the wish that they could somehow have stepped in and changed the person, when of course that's next to impossible in someone involved with addiction. By and large, addicts come to have only friends who are also addicts. Thank goodness there are a good number of people with this problem who do manage to break free, but Bowman wasn't one of them. He seems to have given it a try, at least. I hope his soul is at rest now.

To make myself feel better, I went back to read about Tim Goebel and his post-skating career as a math whiz and volunteer helper of inner-city skaters.