The "please say something nice about Mao thread" | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The "please say something nice about Mao thread"

janetfan

Match Penalty
It has been interesting to read various nice comments about Mao.
Imagine if this thread had been titled:

The "please say something nice about Evan thread"

or the "Please say something nice about Sasha thread"

or the "Please say something nice about Alissa thread"

or the "Please say something nice about Caroline thread"

or the "Please say something nice about Rachael thread"

or the "Please say something nice about Plushy thread"

or the "Please say something nice about Yuna thread"

Aside from Olympia, :clap: - who hasn't said things that were not always so nice about some of the skaters, past and present?

Please don't all come forth at once proclaiming your kind hearts ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
JF, that's why such "cheer threads" and "figure skating lite" threads are a welcome respite from listening to avid fans criticizing their unfavs and worshipping their favs.

It's such a nice, sunny rest.

Sort of a Forum DMZ (Demilitarized Zone :laugh: }

prettykeys

Medalist
Actually Prettykeys you are wrong (again). First, you don't have to participate in any thread esp. this one if the topic, which is VERY SIMPLY SINCERE goes against your grain.
No, I don't believe I'm wrong. And I am free to participate in any publicly posted thread of my choosing.

Secondly, the motivation thread is the bashing, trolling and nasty comments made about Mao and the vicious characterizations of "what an idiot, etc." Frankel must be to feel, wish, believe whatever that Mao should have won. It's an Fs GS thread that inspired my little wish and the general internet bashing from the ubers I tire of. I cannot tell you the thread title, video as this post would get deleted. This is not YKF, and there are 56 pages devoted to YK news. Great, do you or others mind a Mao lite thread?. Pride is one thing. Vicious partisan hatred is another. FS is a sport for fun. I can go to a politics board for angst and hatred. Sorry, the world is hard enough. This thread is FS lite. That's all.
Aww, sounds like someone is a little upset about the 56 pages devoted to YK news. No, I don't mind a Mao lite thread, although along the lines of your objections/complaints about the YuNa news thread, it would also be more "appropriate" for the Mao Asada forum. Also, I fail to see how it is necessary that a "Mao lite" thread makes references to the internet wars.

You've been here for less than one month; I've been here...for a while. I'm also signed up at the YNK forum and the Mao Asada forum, with the same username, for your convenience. Why don't you check them out for the respective comments they have for Mao and YuNa? ROFL. "Kind words" about Mao would never be an affront to me--I would like to say I am one of the most vocal and ardent YuNa fan to speak some--but the context in which compliments are raised might be.

This thread is about "kindness"? Yeah, right. More like "kindness lite", I guess. :rolleye:

:disapp:
Are you seriously serious?
Yes, I am. :rolleye:

Aside from Olympia, :clap: - who hasn't said things that were not always so nice about some of the skaters, past and present?

Hah!

janetfan

Match Penalty
JF, that's why such "cheer threads" and "figure skating lite" threads are a welcome respite from listening to avid fans criticizing their unfavs and worshipping their favs.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

princess9

On the Ice

Exactly. And funny, too.

princess9

On the Ice

JF, Despite the duly noted but unmerited sarcasm, I think you should start one or all. Why not? I personally like all these skaters and can find good things to say, or not so good if criticism is ok. The OP asks the questions. The same energy you took to make some vague point could have started several new threads, perhaps of more interest to boarders than say...remembering the old days of skating. I would be interested in the discussion of every skater you mentioned. It is off season after all. Plush would be my first choice. I'd be glad to offer my meager opinions. Starting a thread isn't always easy and I know my heart is in the right place. I felt bad for Mao.

In response to Prettykeys, I have no problem at all with the YK news thread. Fine by me. It is an indication that her fans are here in number and majority usually rules. So whoever it was that said her fans have taken over the internet must be correct. How many people in Korea? It is sad that a well intentioned thread gets hijacked. If YuNa got the thrashing I read and saw, I'd start a support thread. But she already has one here and a big forum to boot. I think I have said all I'll say to your post. Thanks for the invitation to read your posts all over the place. I think I already get the gist.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Figga

Rinkside
i'm not so sure the Yunafans rule the internet. i think its just a handful of really devoted fans who keep posting updates on her on all the forums. that's their prerogative. i personally ahve no interest in the latest cheesy commercial she is doing. by the same token, i could say that mao-fans or rather anti-yunas rule the internet based on the stuff i've seen posted.

back to topic: Mao is one of the best skaters I've seen. Her spirals and Biellman(sp?) are top notch from what i can see. and she has that 3A as well! i'd like to see other ladies emulate her

miki88

Medalist
i'm not so sure the Yunafans rule the internet. i think its just a handful of really devoted fans who keep posting updates on her on all the forums. that's their prerogative. i personally ahve no interest in the latest cheesy commercial she is doing. by the same token, i could say that mao-fans or rather anti-yunas rule the internet based on the stuff i've seen posted.

back to topic: Mao is one of the best skaters I've seen. Her spirals and Biellman(sp?) are top notch from what i can see. and she has that 3A as well! i'd like to see other ladies emulate her

Julia Lipnitskaya, an upcoming Russian skater, says her favorite skater is Mao.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3r8VSqo-U The girl's flexibility is amazing and I do see some Mao influences in her step sequences. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
JF, Despite the duly noted but unmerited sarcasm, I think you should start one or all. Why not? I personally like all these skaters and can find good things to say, or not so good if criticism is ok. The OP asks the questions. The same energy you took to make some vague point could have started several new threads, perhaps of more interest to boarders than say...remembering the old days of skating. I would be interested in the discussion of every skater you mentioned. It is off season after all. Plush would be my first choice. I'd be glad to offer my meager opinions. Starting a thread isn't always easy and I know my heart is in the right place. I felt bad for Mao.

)

Hmmm, I was trying to be ironic.......:)

And I did make a couple of nice supportive posts about Mao on this topic because I admire her skating and I like the idea of a positive thread. :yes:

I think Mao is very respected here and the skaters I listed on the post you quoted have all received as much or more criticism at GS.

BTW, here is something I just stumbled across - really nice footage from the 1948 St Moritz Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bHRVndot0

I want to say something nice about Barbara Ann Scott, who is the lovely Canadian skater who followed Sonja Heinie as the Ladies' Olympic Champion.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
JF, I would love it if you started a "Say Something Nice" thread about anyone of the skaters above that you feel has been particularly maligned on this board! As princess9 says, it the off season. It's a good time.

We already have an active, nice fan thread about YuNa- It's called YuNa News.
This thread functions as a nice fan thread about Mao.

But it would be nice to see any of the others, particularly Plushy, Evan and Rachael. Pick your fav and start the thread.

seniorita

Record Breaker
JF, I would love it if you started a "Say Something Nice" thread about anyone of the skaters above that you feel has been particularly maligned on this board!
But it would be nice to see any of the others, particularly Plushy, Evan and Rachael. Pick your fav and start the thread.

I really want to live to see that. LOL.:hb:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I really want to live to see that. LOL.:hb:

With inspiration from Doris, seniorita and Princess I have started a new thread that sort of "kills two birds with one stone" by asking for nice comments about Evan and Plushy in the same post. :)

Hmmm.....maybe this is my version of "Mission Impossible" ;)

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
You've been here for less than one month; I've been here...for a while. I'm also signed up at the YNK forum and the Mao Asada forum, with the same username, for your convenience. Why don't you check them out for the respective comments they have for Mao and YuNa? ROFL. "Kind words" about Mao would never be an affront to me--I would like to say I am one of the most vocal and ardent YuNa fan to speak some--but the context in which compliments are raised might be.

This thread is about "kindness"? Yeah, right. More like "kindness lite", I guess. :rolleye:

Yes, I am. :rolleye:

Hah!

Well, if you are serious then that's really unfortunate because you don't get to decide threat value based on who you like - why pick fights when you can just ignore the thread. For example, I don't appreciate Evan's skating, so I don't go into "WE HEART EVAN!" threads - its called having manners... and since I've been here longer than you, I win.

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
My boyfriend & I are huge fans of Mao's and have been since 2005(maybe before?). She is soo beautiful & light on the ice :) and she gets props from us for being soo etherial and still throwing out triple axels. We wish her the best of luck in anything she does :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For example, I don't appreciate Evan's skating, so I don't go into "WE HEART EVAN!" threads - its called having manners...
I have no idea why I found this part humorous but I did... :laugh:

so glad to see you posting again KW!