The "please say something nice about Mao thread" | Golden Skate

The "please say something nice about Mao thread"

princess9

On the Ice
:biggrin: Sorry, given the posts I've seen I couldn't resist. I was following a link in a post and saw the worst, most cruel video directed at this little sprite. Well, I am a fan And I have so enjoyed all the ladies from Japan, esp Yukari, Shizuka and Mao. It's tough to be the underdog.;)

I'll be happy to say something nice about Mao. She's a wonderfully graceful skater, light and buoyant across the ice, and to me she also conveys emotion convincingly. While I think YuNa deservedly got the gold at Vancouver, Mao gave her a run for her money. She's tough and tenacious, and I hope she'll continue to thrive and grow as a skater. I'd love to see her win a gold of her own in Sochi, but whether she does or not, she's an extraordinary combination of athleticism and artistry, and we're lucky to get to see her.

Were you looking at YouTube? I can't understand the venomous things some people do on that site. I'm not just talking about anti-Mao skating fans. People post dreadful comments even on chamber music videos--for the life of me I can't figure out why. Good for you for posting this thread as a kind of antidote for that spiteful behavior of some anonymous idiot.

I hope some YuNa fans come here to say something nice about Mao as well. These two fine skaters each deserve courtesy and admiration from all sides.

princess9

On the Ice
Gentle, sweet Olympia! It figures you'd be the first to post. I think I'll start a say what you like, I mean all good things! about Olympia thread! ITA with your post. Yes, on Youtube.

rtureck

Final Flight
Princess 9, you are a brave soul.

I will say something nice about both Asada sisters. I love that they support each other. There is not a hint of sibling rivalry/ resentment. I heard a very cute story ~ 6 yrs ago. A bunch of reporters went to the rink to interview the sisters (mainly Mao), for some reasons the reporters brought food along for the sisters. So Mao was eating away, and Mai tried to answer reporter questions, she also sensed that the reporters wanted Mao to talk, so she kept brushing Mao's elbows to make hints that she should stop eating and pay some attention to the reporters.

I think Mai is the most beautiful (appearance wise) skaters ever.
Oh yeah one thing nice about Mao, she is a worthy competitor for .... (oh well sorry, just kidding), thought I said it first before .....

Back to topic :I think Mao is the most ethereal skater who ever laces up a pair of skates.

Last edited:

brownfox

On the Ice
:biggrin: Sorry, given the posts I've seen I couldn't resist. I was following a link in a post and saw the worst, most cruel video directed at this little sprite. Well, I am a fan And I have so enjoyed all the ladies from Japan, esp Yukari, Shizuka and Mao. It's tough to be the underdog.;)

???

Anyway, without Mao, Yuna wouldn't have to work harder to improve her skating skills.

princess9

On the Ice
LOL, rturek! you did predict well. And Brownfox, that is true and a compliment to Mao! Somehow I feel I have pulled one of your teeth. (american idiom) :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First of all, princess9, thanks for starting this thread. :)

I'll be happy to say something nice about Mao. She's a wonderfully graceful skater, light and buoyant across the ice, and to me she also conveys emotion convincingly. While I think YuNa deservedly got the gold at Vancouver, Mao gave her a run for her money. She's tough and tenacious, and I hope she'll continue to thrive and grow as a skater. I'd love to see her win a gold of her own in Sochi, but whether she does or not, she's an extraordinary combination of athleticism and artistry, and we're lucky to get to see her.

Were you looking at YouTube? I can't understand the venomous things some people do on that site. I'm not just talking about anti-Mao skating fans. People post dreadful comments even on chamber music videos--for the life of me I can't figure out why. Good for you for posting this thread as a kind of antidote for that spiteful behavior of some anonymous idiot.

I hope some YuNa fans come here to say something nice about Mao as well. These two fine skaters each deserve courtesy and admiration from all sides.

Olympia, I think your whole post is wonderful. :biggrin:

I am thrilled that Mao came back so strongly at the Olympics and Worlds, considering the very tough season she had had (including all the talk about her musical selections). The only thing that saddened me at the Olympics is that she looked so devastated on the podium (as if she let down all of Japan). A silver medal is a great accomplishment. Of course, I was really happy for her to win worlds (and I like both Mao and Yuna). For that matter, I'm a huge fan of so many of the Japanese skaters (with my softest spots for Midori, Yuka, Fumie, Takeshi, and Taka in particular). :love:

BTW, I got to talk to her sister Mai at 2007 Skate America (my husband decided to book our weekend stay at the skaters' hotel). I was up early, walking around, and I sort of recognized Mai. I spoke to her. She seemed very shy, but gracious and sweet. It is so heartening to hear that the Mai and Mao get along so well.

miki88

Medalist
Thanks for starting this thread. I agree with rtureck, that Mao is the most ethereal skater I've ever seen. Her movements are so light and soft that she seems to be floating on the ice at times.

BTW, I got to talk to her sister Mai at 2007 Skate America (my husband decided to book our weekend stay at the skaters' hotel). I was up early, walking around, and I sort of recognized Mai. I spoke to her. She seemed very shy, but gracious and sweet. It is so heartening to hear that the Mai and Mao get along so well.

That's so cool. Mai is such a sweet sister. She's always cheering for Mao at competitions.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I always look forward to seeing Mao skate and think she is a very special talent.
I remember Button's comments after Mao's '08 Worlds LP - "she showed she is a true, true athlete and champion." :agree:

He was referring to how well Mao skated after the mishap on her 3A - and he made those remarks before her scores were announced or the event was concluded.

I agree with Button and it was not about missing the 3A - but about how she was able to compose herself and skate so beautifully on her way to winning her frst WC. Truly remarkable!

My wish for Mao is that she may find a suitable coach and continue to grow as a skater and as a person. The skating world is fortunate she is continuing on and as her body of work and skating medals continue to grow so will her legacy.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Were you looking at YouTube? I can't understand the venomous things some people do on that site. I'm not just talking about anti-Mao skating fans. Good for you for posting this thread as a kind of antidote for that spiteful behavior of some anonymous idiot.

I wouldn't mind the fan warriors so much if they kept to themsleves. But they include the names of every top skater so anybody doing a search will find it. Some guy posted a video condemning the fan warriors ( of the other side ) and how they used these search tags ...... and his video contained those same search tags. :confused:

How great to hear about the sturdy, warm relationship between Mao and Mai. When you're living in a bubble the way Mao probably does, having a buddy in there (related to you or not) is what keeps you sane and steady.

It's a tribute to Mao that many of us have pointed out how ethereal she looks on the ice, when she's virtually the only lady who does triple axels. It's rare that someone combines that kind of muscle with the butterfly quality that Mao possesses.

Iluvtodd, I have a soft spot for many of the Japanese skaters too, especially Yuka, Shizuka, and Daisuke. I was so excited when both Mao and Daisuke won the Worlds this year. I hope to see many more years of great skates from them.

I wonder if Emily Frankel will contribute to this thread. ;)

World's shortest thread: The list of skaters that Olympia :agree: doesn't like. :)

Ha!!! :hb:She doesnt like Plushy!

Have you seen these great Mao pics?

Hee, hee! I don't love Plushy, but I admire his determination and technique. He's a strong individual personality, and I like to see that in skating. The one thing about CoP that we all worry about is that skaters will start to look cookie-cutter and generic. No worries that this will happen to Plushy! (But he'll never replace Browning at the top of my Skate Gods list.)

And thanks for that glorious pic of Mao!

Audrey19

On the Ice
:love: Mao!
She's such a lovely skater, I love watching her, to whatever kind of music, it's always a joy!
And she's so brave, having to deal with so much pressure in Japan...

RumbleFish

Rinkside
RumbleFish, you obviously don't like Mao, so why do you even come to this thread?

FYI, It isn't Mao that I don't like. ;)

Frankly, I think she has nice qualities to her skating, i.e. soft knees and nice stretch.
I do think however, her programs this past season and costumes were hideous to say the least.

Now look at what you have done. :mad:
I was supposed to say only nice things in this thread. SIGH

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved her SP to Chopin's E-flat Nocturne. I also loved baby Mao--when she beat Irina at the GPF.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I loved how Mao proved us all wrong with her gutsy Olympic programs, after we all said she would be lucky to medal she landed three beauiful triple axels and skated a clean short with emotion and joy. IMO she should have been much closer to the leader in the short, but let's not debate that here.

Yes, Baby Mao and her might jumps was a joy indeed!