Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The "please say something nice about Mao thread"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Ha!!! She doesnt like Plushy!

Have you seen these great Mao pics?
    Hee, hee! I don't love Plushy, but I admire his determination and technique. He's a strong individual personality, and I like to see that in skating. The one thing about CoP that we all worry about is that skaters will start to look cookie-cutter and generic. No worries that this will happen to Plushy! (But he'll never replace Browning at the top of my Skate Gods list.)

And thanks for that glorious pic of Mao!

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    Mao!
    She's such a lovely skater, I love watching her, to whatever kind of music, it's always a joy!
    And she's so brave, having to deal with so much pressure in Japan...

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    RumbleFish, you obviously don't like Mao, so why do you even come to this thread?
    FYI, It isn't Mao that I don't like.

Frankly, I think she has nice qualities to her skating, i.e. soft knees and nice stretch.
    I do think however, her programs this past season and costumes were hideous to say the least.

Now look at what you have done.
    I was supposed to say only nice things in this thread. SIGH

Custom Title
    I loved her SP to Chopin's E-flat Nocturne. I also loved baby Mao--when she beat Irina at the GPF.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I loved how Mao proved us all wrong with her gutsy Olympic programs, after we all said she would be lucky to medal she landed three beauiful triple axels and skated a clean short with emotion and joy. IMO she should have been much closer to the leader in the short, but let's not debate that here.

Yes, Baby Mao and her might jumps was a joy indeed!

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Say something nice about Mao? I don't need much ecouragment.

When I first saw Mao , it was like a lovely Japanese woodblock print had come to life on my TV. I was just entranced. I've loved her skating all along , but I haven't felt the Tarasova partnership was a good fit for her ; not for any lack of technical benefits , but the costumes and choreography have been just too much. I can't say I never like Tarasova's choreography , but it's always big and bold. It's like a banner headline , while Mao, herself, is more naturally like an elegant Haiku.

Even while being struck by this uncomfortable dichotomy , I've still loved her skating, and admired her ( samurai-like ) dedication and determination.

So I'm very looking forward to the new season, and hope the changes she's making bring her success.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brownfox View Post
    ???

Anyway, without Mao, Yuna wouldn't have to work harder to improve her skating skills.
    I think there's a reason that a discussion of the one skater almost always leads to mention of the other. There's such a large qualitative gap (although the qualities themselves differ) between these two and the rest of the field, that no other current benchmark exists except each other.

As a Yuna fan foremost, I believe the following statement can only be made about Mao: if her best qualities were combined with Yuna's best, the result would be a nearly perfect skater.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    LOL, rturek! you did predict well. And Brownfox, that is true and a compliment to Mao! Somehow I feel I have pulled one of your teeth. (american idiom)
    Princess9, love ya and your many thoughtful posts but big Huh?? from an American about "I feel I have pulled one of your teeth" as an American idiom -- that's a new one on me! What does it mean? Is it supposed to be like when we say we've yanked/pulled someone's chain, or "pushed his button" -- meaning we have brought up an issue that is particularly bothersome or irritating to someone? Or did you mean what we call a "backhanded" compliment? Or did you perhaps mean "pull someone's leg"?

Just want to add I know the tiniest bit of French and that's it, I could never comprehend a message board in another language, much less post in a manner that anyone else could understand, so I have the deepest respect for your language skills!

I have to add to my off-topicness by noting that I know several native Germans who often say "really great" as an expression of enthusiasm when they speak English; they use that phrase very, very frequently. There is absolutely nothing grammatically wrong with that phrase but imo it is not in the least idiomatic -- I just don't hear too many native English speakers say something is "really great" much at all. I hear, "excellent" or "wonderful" or "cool" or "sick" or whatever the latest slang is, but not "really great" right and left -- so I'm starting to wonder if there's some commonly-used English textbook in the German school system that gives "really great" as a standard exclamation of approval, lol. Not that it matters as I'm really picking a nit here, and also including as many idioms as I can in this post!

But I do think Mao's determination and her grace under pressure are "really great"! She's tough and tenacious, like Olympia said. I actually like the Bells of Moscow program a lot even though I realize so many fans don't think the style of the program suited Mao at all. I think she carried it off well, esp. of course at Olys and Worlds.

^ I don't know how uniquely American it is, but I think "to pull someone's teeth (or claws)," meaning , to render them powerless, is a legitimate phrase. So pulling one of your teeth would mean something like, "removing an arrow from your quiver." (I think that's an old British idiom from the days of Robin Hood.)

Just for fun, I typed "really great" into Google and got 14,000,000 hits. That's sick.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Whats wrong with That's really great?

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    As a Yuna fan foremost, I believe the following statement can only be made about Mao: if her best qualities were combined with Yuna's best, the result would be a nearly perfect skater.
    ummm....I am sorry to say this: but both girls, as great as they are could use a bit of Michelle in them.

By that I mean they could use a little bit of Janet Lynn in them.
    Such natural grace and audience connection is hard to teach - maybe it is something a skater has to be born with but Janet had it and so did Michelle.

Yuna has shown it at times and so has Mao - but to be honest more in her Gala skates.

Anyway, I think if there was such a thing as a "perfect" skater many of us might lose interest.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    But I do think Mao's determination and her grace under pressure are "really great"! She's tough and tenacious, like Olympia said. I actually like the Bells of Moscow program a lot even though I realize so many fans don't think the style of the program suited Mao at all. I think she carried it off well, esp. of course at Olys and Worlds.
    That makes two of us. I like the Bells of Moscow, too.

Custom Title
    I like all of Mao Asada programs. Some more than the others. But I like them all.

Custom Title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGN7dBJahU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DaxkO-k9A

Mao like furry animals
    furry animals like mao
    I like mao, miao and furry animals
    oh yeah she also skates good
    Isn't that nice... ;P
    Last edited by os168; 06-01-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Custom Title
    I'll be nice as long as her fans don't attack Yuna.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast