Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 101

Thread: The "please say something nice about Mao thread"

  1. #31
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPC2018 View Post
    I'll be nice as long as her fans don't attack Yuna.
    C'mon, show you've got leadership qualities. Set an example!

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ I don't know how uniquely American it is, but I think "to pull someone's teeth (or claws)," meaning , to render them powerless, is a legitimate phrase. So pulling one of your teeth would mean something like, "removing an arrow from your quiver." (I think that's an old British idiom from the days of Robin Hood.)

    Just for fun, I typed "really great" into Google and got 14,000,000 hits. That's sick.

    Aaah, gotcha, I've certainly occasionally heard the analogy/idiom of pulling claws, but "pulling _one_ of your teeth" just wasn't bringing up any associations (but since I have definitely noticed a middle-aged decline in brainpower, I googled a couple of variations of the wording before I posted just to try to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious [and only got tips for pulling your own teeth at home, lol]), but I didn't think of pulling claws/teeth as in rendering powerless. Good job on the "really great" but again although certainly grammatically correct I just don't hear it used like this constant phrase as my stepdaughter and some of her (also native German) friends/family and others I've heard use it.

    Not that it's important, back to praising Mao! But thanks for the interpretation ...

  3. #33
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    She floats.

    And she never stops pushing herself to new heights.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I think what Princess9 was trying to imply was that getting some people to praise Mao was like pulling teeth. That's the way I've usually heard the phrase. I think that praising the rival of one's idol is often way out of a person's comfort zone. Too bad; people who like only one of these splendid skaters are missing out. As Robeye said--well, let me quote:

    I think there's a reason that a discussion of the one skater almost always leads to mention of the other. There's such a large qualitative gap (although the qualities themselves differ) between these two and the rest of the field, that no other current benchmark exists except each other.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,971
    Mao is a cutie-pahtootie who always attacks her programs no matter what

  6. #36
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPC2018 View Post
    I'll be nice as long as her fans don't attack Yuna.
    Great! See? No one is attacking Yuna in this thread
    Welcome to the party!

    Hi,Flattfan!

    I like all of Mao's programs, too. The Bells is my favorite, though.
    She continues to challeng and has shown different "Mao" on ice every season.
    I like lovely Mao, elegant Mao, comical Mao, fluffy Mao, passionate Mao ...and the list goes on

    I heard that she is in Russia now. Can't wait to see her new program!!

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    I love that dancing banana emoticon, Lol. see how nice the ubers are playing? How sweet. Everyone loves Mao and Yuna!

  8. #38
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    87
    Extremely elegant and graceful.

  9. #39
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Something nice about Mao? Since I don't know her I can't be sure what she is like but I admire the way she handles herself when she is in the spotlight.

    And I also think Mao has one of the most adorable smiles I have ever seen.

  10. #40
    Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    813
    I love Mao because she tries new things and doesn't stick with the "pwetty pwetty pwincess" appeal that ladies figure skating is often associated with. Seriously, what other lady skaters do you know that went from something light like Clair de Lune to something heavy like The Bells of Moscow?

  11. #41
    Custom Title prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    from an American about "I feel I have pulled one of your teeth" as an American idiom -- that's a new one on me! What does it mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ I don't know how uniquely American it is, but I think "to pull someone's teeth (or claws)," meaning , to render them powerless, is a legitimate phrase. So pulling one of your teeth would mean something like, "removing an arrow from your quiver." (I think that's an old British idiom from the days of Robin Hood.)

    Just for fun, I typed "really great" into Google and got 14,000,000 hits. That's sick.
    LOL @ the "That's Really Great" German thing. My mother, coming from Korea, apparently had a list of phrases to use in some English class as well. It's an...interesting way to learn conversational English. These days, I hope the Germans haven't changed it to "That's Hot."

    The reason why the phrase "I feel like I have pulled one of your teeth" isn't familiar is because it's based off of the saying "like pulling teeth", referring to a difficult task. She clearly means to say that hoping for fans of a rival to say something nice about the skater in mind is difficult, like pulling teeth.

    Anyway, I have a few points to say about this thread:

    First, it's not the place to complain about deleted posts. There is a separate subforum for complaints and inquiries.

    Second, don't whine about "free speech" or lack thereof. It's a privately owned forum and the owners/moderators have the final say in whatever they want on it, so insistent complaining is both childish and futile. Have your say, and move on.

    Lastly, I refuse to say "something nice about Mao" in some sort of declaration thread motivated by some hope of retaliation or "therapy" from another site. Clearly, what seems to have been missed by some moderators, is that this thread contains both a request for niceties about Mao, and a complaint about fights going on on YouTube where Mao is supposed to be a "victim", when in fact she wouldn't be the only skater to receive nasty directed comments and videos (and such an occurrence isn't limited to skaters, of course)--which is a fact that YuNa ubers are reacting to (and thereby getting posts deleted.)

    It's strange that a Canadian-born gal whose first language was Korean can pick up on these subtleties - motivational or linguistic.

    I've said "nice things about Mao" where they belong--in actual discussions of skating, thank you.
    Last edited by prettykeys; 06-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.

  12. #42
    Custom Title prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    I love Mao because she tries new things and doesn't stick with the "pwetty pwetty pwincess" appeal that ladies figure skating is often associated with. Seriously, what other lady skaters do you know that went from something light like Clair de Lune to something heavy like The Bells of Moscow?
    There is a certain elite skater who went from The Lark Ascending to the dark drama of Danse Macabre, enjoying success in the season preceding Bells. I wonder if such was an inspiration for that transformation, a signal for the need or desire to diversify.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I also said that Mao should not portray an image of innocent angel because it's no longer appropriate for her age.
    Interesting point. I think there are 2 factors at work here. We don’t have any hard data, but I am pretty sure Mao has done very well with product endorsements. Her sponsors can’t throw money at her fast enough, and many of them like the innocent angel look. Take a look at the angelic white dress the Ghana chocolate people put her in.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LtuFxeHc8

    The exception seems to be Ascience, the Japanese hair products company. They seem to prefer a more sexy / seductive look.

    http://www.maoasadafanwebsite.com/me...ls/ASIENCE.jpg

    The other factor is that maybe the innocent look is not an act.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Actually Prettykeys you are wrong (again). First, you don't have to participate in any thread esp. this one if the topic, which is VERY SIMPLY SINCERE goes against your grain.

    Secondly, the motivation thread is the bashing, trolling and nasty comments made about Mao and the vicious characterizations of "what an idiot, etc." Frankel must be to feel, wish, believe whatever that Mao should have won. It's an Fs GS thread that inspired my little wish and the general internet bashing from the ubers I tire of. I cannot tell you the thread title, video as this post would get deleted. This is not YKF, and there are 56 pages devoted to YK news. Great, do you or others mind a Mao lite thread?. Pride is one thing. Vicious partisan hatred is another. FS is a sport for fun. I can go to a politics board for angst and hatred. Sorry, the world is hard enough. This thread is FS lite. That's all.

    It is sad that the nationality issues between some Japanese and Korean fans spill over into the vitriol and they use Mao Asada or Yuna Kim to express the hatred.

    Americans who fought a war and lost many have moved on. My father and a generation of Americans moved on and rebuilt Japan with others and became trading partners and allies. I never grew up with hatred against any nationality despite what we lost due to certain nations. History is war and conquest. I am guessing this bashing is about history and unforgiveness.

    My thread is about saying something nice about a great skater whose getting bashed. This is not like any skater rivalry before for obvious reasons. I resent your mind/heart reading and implying some deep devious reason. I'm not Japanese, not Korean, don't have a thing against either skater or country. I am entitled to my opinion, however sub par or off you may find it. I have the ""gall" to say MK is the best skater I recall. I don't have to be a dance expert, scoring expert or figureskater to have an opinion. I hope it's still my constitutional right.

    I saw some trolling posts that disappeared. Maybe the mods feel they want to avoid youtube like nasty comments. If I think Sue from Timbuktoo can skate circles around Kim or Asada, I'll imho that. You express many opinions in various ways. Say something nice about Mao is an affront to Kim fans?! She doesn't need fans like that.

    Everyone is entitled but IMO GS is very particular about posts. We might feel censorship and I have noticed some posters get away with a lot on the other big skate board. But perhaps Ms Slater has different rules. I saw I think a post disappear. I don't know why. Perhaps this one will. I don't think it should.

    I would suggest that YuNa is doing great on her own and I think she'd dissasociate herself from a lot of her alledged "fan" who just attack Mao, or any poster who says anything they don't like. Kim has enough true fans. I know she doesn't like the obsession some have with her. She does not want this I am sure. I'm positive she wants nothing to do with any really mean posts about Asada. She's above that. They were friends, they respect one another's skating. One pushes the other. This is FS. True fans appreciate many skaters, not just one. Well, nothing new here and I won't defend myself or feel I must explain kindness to any poster again. It's not worth the constant intentional ways people "misunderstand." It's not sincere. It's meant to start a rumble, so to speak.
    Last edited by princess9; 06-02-2010 at 06:12 PM.

  15. #45
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    The other factor is that maybe the innocent look is not an act.
    It isn't! Lol. That's just her personality. Mao has always been the innocent and sunny type. Besides, the argument doesn't even work for her programs this year. Isn't it because they were so far from that innocent look that many people were kinda turned off by them?

    ETA: I so agree with you princess. If some people find it hard to say something nice about Mao, then they don't have to participate in a thread like this.
    Last edited by miki88; 06-02-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •