Who will be the next sweet heart of American figure skating? | Golden Skate

Who will be the next sweet heart of American figure skating?

UM84

On the Ice
The one that EVERYONE knows who it is, the one that has people talking and dieing to see them perform. Someone who will have the people on the edge of their seats throughout the performance. The person who has people looking at their program and counting down until this person skates. Michelle and Sasha had that power, Johnny and Evan had that power... but who is next? Who is the one who will be known and loved around the world.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hmm...I think Mirai Nagasu and Adam Rippon make a chance!:love:

Totally agree. They just need more confidence, maturity, consistency and not crumble under pressure. They both have the nice balance of artistry and athleticism, plus the personality off ice to become huge stars. (& Adam need to stop trim his gorgeous locks)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are we talking within skating circles or the American public?

if the former I'd say Mirai Nagasu stands the best chance - at this point - but no one really stands out

if the latter - none of the current crop - againg, at this point - there's no one with a dynamic personality (ala Johnny) or with the street cred/vast number of wins (ala Michelle) to gain attention.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
I really like Mirai, but I think Agnes Zawadki has nice qualities also.
This Polish girl from Chicago has huge jumps, and is very statuesque.
She could become a Nancy Kerrigan with a much better layback spin.

This is going to be an interesting thread! I think so far Nagasu and Rippon have the best chance, though I agree with Tonichelle that real "sweethearts" (in the sense of people who spark the interest of a larger public than just skating buffs) are few and far between. Rumble, I'll have to look up Agnes Zawadki. She sounds interesting.

If skating powers-that-be had any sense, they'd figure out a better way to use television than just to wait until a competition came along. They'd have some kind of musical special, or a talent contest in the style of Dancing with the Stars, with lots of backstage glimpses. Ten years ago, no one would have believed that some Russian guy with a hard-to-pronounce last name, who dances waltzes for a living, in funny shoes, would be one of the sexiest men on TV. But that's what DWTS has done for the gorgeous Maksim Chmerkovsky...why can't skating get a clue? (And don't remind me of the ill-fated Skating with Celebrities. It's got to be manned by people who can skate. You can't bring "civilians" up to speed in ice skating the way you can in ballroom dancing, which is done on solid ground.)

And by "musical special," I don't mean the kind where the camera stays focused on the singers! (Though don't get me wrong—I'm grateful to Disson for providing us with the few programs we have where we get to see pro skating these days.)

brownfox

On the Ice
How about Christina Gao? I like her skating. I saw (video) her LP at this year's Nationals. She has a lot of potential.

UM84

On the Ice
are we talking within skating circles or the American public?

if the former I'd say Mirai Nagasu stands the best chance - at this point - but no one really stands out

if the latter - none of the current crop - againg, at this point - there's no one with a dynamic personality (ala Johnny) or with the street cred/vast number of wins (ala Michelle) to gain attention.

Both, the complete skater

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai has a chance - but she has big boots to fill following Michelle and Sasha.

Mirai has a good coach and Lori seems to love her for the same reasons Sandra loves her. She has a good line, is very athletic and has a smile that lights up the arena. There is alot to work with there and how interesting it will be to watch this charming girl grow into a lady.

I think Adam has a chance to become more of an international favorite as opposed to becoming an American skating icon.
To early to tell yet and we will see in the next few years.

I think Christina Gao has a huge upside and is with a great team at the Cricket Club. I am not familiar enough with Agnes or some of the other youngsters but am sure a few will emerge in the years ahead.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Let me throw out a hypothetical. Could a mediocre skater become America's sweetheart due to something that happens off the ice?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Let me throw out a hypothetical. Could a mediocre skater become America's sweetheart due to something that happens off the ice?

I guess something like that is possible.......but please, no more Tonya type affairs. ;)

What about skaters from other parts of the world?

For the public it might be harder - but as a fan I like - and am interested - in Kanako Murakami and also Min-Jung Kwak.
I am interested in the Russian babies too although some are so young I haven't really watched them skate much yet.
I rely on Silverlake's enthusiastic reports for info on their progress :yes: :)

What about Yuna? Could she turn pro and turn on N. American audiences if she were to tour here possibly in her own ice show? Skaters like Lambiel and Johnny and maybe Shiz could be available to join her which atleast for skating fans could be interesting and fun.

Maybe I am drifting away from the original topic - but as a skating fan - anything and everything that helps promote skating in the USA is off interest to me.

prettykeys

Medalist
I don't know for the guys...but for the ladies, Mirai Nagasu seems to be on that fast track.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ladiezzz:
Mirai Nagasu and/or Christina Gao (it could very easily be both, at the the same time, kind of like Mao and Miki in Japan)

Mirai has the "it" quality and is very artistic AND athletic. She is the full package and still so young, with more experience and consistency I think she can give the likes of Yuna and Mao a run for their money, she pretty much proved that she can at the Olympics and in the SP at Worlds.

Christina just reminds me so much of Yuna AND Michelle as young teenagers that I have to think this girl is going places. She isn't soup yet, but I trust Orser to work with her to help strengthen and polish her skating. She has the ideal body type and seems to have a good work ethic as well. I think she will make a very impressive senior international debut this coming season and show the world Christina has arrived (sort of ala Yuna Kim in 2006-2007).

wildcard:
Katarina Kulgeyko

I know, I know, she's not at a super high level yet, but this girl really impressed me at nationals. Plus she spends a good portion of her time training in Russia where the atmosphere is obviously very intense (Liza's 3a, Adelina's 3lz-3lo, Anna's insane transitions....all at age 13 :agree: ). I hope she gets JGP assignments in the coming season because I think she will do very well if she does get assignments and then likely she will medal or win the junior title next year at nationals, setting her up well for seniors. She just turned 14 so she has plenty of time to improve, but already she is mature and elegant and lots of potential.

Men:
Adam Rippon

Adam really seems like the frontrunner right now, of course there is Jeremy, but he's quite a bit older than Adam and may not be sticking around for much longer. Jeremy has Johnny's expressiveness and grace on the ice, but a better coach and better choreographed, more COP-friendly programs. He's already made a name for himself on the senior ranks and I'm sure that will only continue. Adam with a quad could medal at Worlds as early as next year, and he may not even need the quad to do that

wildcard:
Keegan Messing

I like this kid. He's unique and has some lovely qualities about his skating. Time will tell with him, but he is very young and has plenty of time to improve. His different style could help him get noticed.

fairly4

Medalist
could be any girl-sorry- the men don't quailify as sweetharts.
people usually think of women, girls.

mirai better do much better than she did at last years worlds, she can't afford another mess up-she can be-so can rachel, ashley, caroline zhang, agnes, leah keiser in a few years, christine gao-
can be any girls, but they all have to fight for it throughtout the season,
and do the best they can- and not expect just to skate for it and medal and hope they might get to be sweethart,
mirai has the inside track due to olympics, and what happend at nationals but her world performance put a damper on it. (big one)
medaling plus fighting for it, throughout all year would be a big plus,
adam seems most likely personable from the men side provided --evan, jeremy, johnny don't skate.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold. She was 4th in Novice this year but she's got awesome-high jumps (and went from an iffy 3S and 3T at Regionals to having 3S, 3T, 3F, and 3Lz by Nationals), great spins, and is very pretty to go with it (as America's sweet heart you better be pretty or cute). Maybe I am prejudiced since I see this girl frequently at my rink. :)

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't know but was Evan in the American sweetheart category?

Mirai has that potential and Caroline if she fixes a lot of things.

Of the guys...maybe Rippon

janetfan

Match Penalty
Gracie Gold. She was 4th in Novice this year but she's got awesome-high jumps (and went from an iffy 3S and 3T at Regionals to having 3S, 3T, 3F, and 3Lz by Nationals), great spins, and is very pretty to go with it (as America's sweet heart you better be pretty or cute). Maybe I am prejudiced since I see this girl frequently at my rink. :)

Here she is skating at Janet's former rink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg8UyTVaNHU&NR=1

Very cute indeed. Now if Silverlake can figure out how tall she is and how much more she will grow I will start calculating her chances ;) :)

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I think Mirai Nagasu. Even with her disappointing long at Worlds she has stepped up her game. With her charisma and Frank Carroll, I think she is gonna go far!:yes:

princess9

On the Ice
seems like Mirai! Sweetheart charmer. Even if she doesn't win everything. Sasha sure didn't.

I love Adam and Jeremy but there is no such thing as a male sweetheart. The days of Peggy, Dorothy, Michelle, Kristi seem over. Film stars and Hollywood "personalities" capture America. The interest is just not there with Figureskating anymore. I may be wrong. Tanith was gorgeous and around a long time but most Americans don't know who she is. I think Alissa would have been the star if she only competed better.

I think America has too many problems and people are losing interest in many arts and sports that could produce female stars.