Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the next sweet heart of American figure skating?

I'm rewatching old tapes of Grand Prix seasons right now... I actually like watching the progression of the programs throughout the weeks/months... then you get to Nationals and Worlds and it's the cream on top... mmmmmm good.

I've been watching far too many ESPN broadcasts, I'm starting to use Dick Button's mixed analogies.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, Janetfan, but I think the GP season can be like "the first pancake." It's a bit sloppy, but you can't make a good second pancake without it. Maybe you and I don't find the programs so inspiring at the start of the season, but for the skaters it's a huge benefit. So in a way we viewers (both in the arena and at home on our couches) are helping the skaters try stuff out. Think of it as a dress rehearsal.

It can also build audiences. Like you, I remember the days when the only times you could see skating all year on TV were at Nationals and Worlds, except in Olympic years. Having a longer season gives us more chances to see skating, which is great for us who are already mavens, but it's also good for people who are just getting acquainted with it.

Moreover, it gives a lot of fledgling skaters the chance to be seen. You never know, but you might be seeing someone who in a year or two will be the one we watch with bated breath in the Olympic long program.

If it's a choice between a splatfest and "decent pro skating," one could argue the issue, but they're not going to substitute any pro programs for the GP. They'll just take away the skating and leave us with Nats and Worlds.
    Good points and unfortunately we don't see much good pro skating anymore. But still, it feels odd to say the GPf is more important than Worlds or the Olympics which was the original comment I replied to.

Thinking of Mao and Yuna - I did not enjoy Mao's COR skating at all and Yuna came close to laying an egg herself at SA. Miki won two GP events with completely mediocre performances.

On the other hand if Shizuka had been appearing on TV in some type of nice program I probably would have preferred seeing her as opposed to subpar Mao or Yuna.

At the moment there are enough very good skaters around still in good enough shape to show us something much more entertaining than seeing Rachael or Caro bumble their way through a GP event.

Have you considered that skating broadcast ratings are so low because the N. American public is used to seeing better product?

Part of me would like to see a better and more active pro circuit with more opportunities just to take some control of skating away from $peedy. I am not much a a Johnny fan (I like his skating well enough) but it is strange that his American fans don't get to see him skate in shows here.

Sasha, Joannie, Shizuka, Lambiel, Johnny, Evan, Buttle, maybe Plushy and Yags.......not to mention Dance and Pairs teams - could be better utilized in non/ISU affiliated shows.

More skaters would probably retire sooner from ISU events if there were more opportunities.
    I prefer competition and think it helps creat better products. Having so much skating controlled by ISU has not resulted in better product which is why skating, once a staple of TV broadcasting is vanishing.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Have you considered that skating broadcast ratings are so low because the N. American public is used to seeing better product?
    better American product, maybe. interest and ratings were up and down well before now, though... it was only a matter of time.

honestly the more I think about it, we were blessed for decades with a lot of skating coverage due to the fact that Doug Wilson worked so hard to make amazing coverage. I think his retirement is why we saw ESPN drop the skating more than anything else, there was no one as passionate to keep it on the air. So then it went to NBC which stinks no matter WHAT sport it is when it comes to broadcasting.

Custom Title
    I certainly wouldn't dispute your comments on having more good pro skating on TV, Janetfan. (Would that we could bring such a wonderful change about!) There was a lot of groundbreaking that went on in pro presentations during the nineties and before. It wasn't just the competitions, though events like Landover certainly pushed pro skaters to excel, but the occasional full-length production such as The Planets and Carmen. One can hope for more such!

Custom Title
    I suppose there could be a Grand Prix, AND a pro circuit running at about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I suppose there could be a Grand Prix, AND a pro circuit running at about the same time.
    there used to be, pro events started in November and went through January before tours started up in earnest.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I'm rewatching old tapes of Grand Prix seasons right now... I actually like watching the progression of the programs throughout the weeks/months... then you get to Nationals and Worlds and it's the cream on top... mmmmmm good.

I've been watching far too many ESPN broadcasts, I'm starting to use Dick Button's mixed analogies.

I watched a video where someone mentioned a Buttonism..."frivelous frumpery..." Anyone have a clue what exactly that meant? In the video there was no context nor was any skater mentioned, sort of an aside from Gannon I think...What the heck??

Down With It
    Without reading any of these 5 pages, the first name that came to my mind was Mirai Nagasu. She has the persona, the fire, and the skill. Whether she will continue on her Olympic success or dwell on her Worlds setback (I was going to say failure but you know how it is) remains to be seen.

Can't see anyone else on the radar just yet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post

Can't see anyone else on the radar just yet.
    I see Kimmie .... Wagner....

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTriple View Post
    I see Kimmie .... Wagner....
    Former's a question mark...latter just hasn't got it (no offense)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Former's a question mark...latter just hasn't got it (no offense)
    Such a beautiful mark of question.... Go Kimmie!!!!

Ashley just being humble... Go Ashley!!!!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTriple View Post
    Such a beautiful mark of question.... Go Kimmie!!!!

Ashley just being humble... Go Ashley!!!!
    Wagner is many things, but humble she is not.

(Before you go off, I like that about her.)

Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    [/B]

I watched a video where someone mentioned a Buttonism..."frivelous frumpery..." Anyone have a clue what exactly that meant? In the video there was no context nor was any skater mentioned, sort of an aside from Gannon I think...What the heck??

I don't even think DICK knows what it means as when he was asked in 2006 what a 'rusty hoot' was he said he had no clue, and that is also a buttonism. Man is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    It was a big problem for $peedy. Many times in the 90's the pro skating broadcasts beat the ISU broadcasts in the ratings. The World Professional championship got higher ratings than ISU's World championships a couple of times.

But today it is no longer a problem for $peedy. There is no Professional championship on TV - but come to think of it the ISU world championship is no longer on TV either.

Custom Title
    sorry i thought i put this with the GP Assignments. , i don't know how to move it,
    i apologize.
    anyway to me the American sweetharts, went like this
    theresa, maribel, tenley, carol, peggy, janet , dorothy, linda, kristi, michelle .
    sasha was artisitic , not a sweethart, tara was the jumper and child.
    for now for american it is to be continued. filled by caroline zhang, rachel flatt, mirai, agnes, ashley wagner, alissa czisny, kimber meissner (if skates) any women who can medal at their jevents and keep 3 women in for worlds and olympics . has a shot.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast