Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the next sweet heart of American figure skating?

Down With It
    ^ Copy the text from your post, delete this one, then paste as a reply in the appropriate thread.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    any women who can medal at their jevents and keep 3 women in for worlds and olympics . has a shot.
    You might be right. The 2 girls who win back our 3rd spot will be heros. ( heroines? )

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    You might be right. The 2 girls who win back our 3rd spot will be heros. ( heroines? )
    Who will they be heros to? The American public will barely notice or care about such a triviality.

Posters at skating boards will notice and most of them would rather have one or two very good skaters than three mediocre skaters.

Most USA fans would settle for a Natl champion who shows some grace and competitive fire.
    We haven't seen that for a few years now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Who will they be heros to? The American public will barely notice or care about such a triviality.
    That depends on the news media. If they grab the ball and run with it, the girls will be in every living room.

Posters at skating boards will notice and most of them would rather have one or two very good skaters than three mediocre skaters.
    Yes, that's true. Maybe one lady will break out this season.

Most USA fans would settle for a Natl champion who shows some grace and competitive fire.
    We haven't seen that for a few years now.
    Rather harsh. We see grace and competitive fire at Nationals, then less of it in the following months. Remember last season? All 5 champion skaters / teams ( including synchronized ) who won their Nationals were beaten at their World championships by other Americans.

I don't think our national champions have lacked grace. Rachael Flatt, Alissa Czisny, Mirai Nagasu, Kimmie Meissner, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan = a six-pack or charm and grace, if you ask me.

As for competitive fire, I don't think it is fire or spirit that was lacking. Other people internationally just skated better. That's sports. Sometimes the U.S. gal comes out on top, sometimes other countries have a more talented group that year.

Down With It
    I think MM has a point. Two things: 1) there is more talent in other countries and 2) the US ladies have been a rather mediocre group ever since Kwan and Cohen left. Of the current US skaters, IMO only Nagasu has serious potential. I think everyone else will remain second-rate unless there is a mass wave of retirement among the top skaters. No offense to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't think our national champions have lacked grace. Rachael Flatt, Alissa Czisny, Mirai Nagasu, Kimmie Meissner, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan = a six-pack or charm and grace, if you ask me.

As for competitive fire, I don't think it is fire or spirit that was lacking. Other people internationally just skated better. That's sports. Sometimes the U.S. gal comes out on top, sometimes other countries have a more talented group that year.
    It's nice to put such a positive spin on this. Getting back a third spot for Ladies would barely create a ripple with the American public and perhaps it will change - but for now that's the way it is.

American's are not in love with CoP and anonymous judges and don't trust ISU to play fair after SLC. Skating is out of the public eye which is why NBC chose to broadcast other sports during the Olympics and cut skating back.

Midori Ito was a great jumper and an athletic type of skater. Midori herself said she was not graceful and admitted she could only win by outjumping her top rivals.

Frank Carroll said Rachael is an athletic skater and a reliable jumper. He said her artistry can't be compared to the graceful skating we see from Mirai. I will add it can't be compared with Alissa or Sasha either.

Cop fans may love her - and that's fine. But no need to distort reality about who is graceful and who isn't because we are not blind. .

Maybe this season we will see improved artistry and better ice coverage from Rachael. I think that would help her alot at Intl events.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    And what do you expect Mirai's coach to say ?

That Rachael skates better than Mirai? Would that be even slightly a likely thing for Frank Carroll to say?

Or even that the Rachael and Mirai are equally good?

No way is Frank going to say any of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    And what do you expect Mirai's coach to say ?

That Rachael skates better than Mirai? Would that be even slightly a likely thing for Frank Carroll to say?

Or even that the Rachael and Mirai are equally good?

No way is Frank going to say any of those things.
    Frank said the same things about Michelle and Irina. So did many posters here express that opinion over the years.

Maybe some like to think being called an athletic skater and good jumper is somehow an insult.
    If I were to say say Mirai, Sasha and Alissa are as reliable at jumps as Rachael is I would be guilty of fibbing.
    Those who suggest Rachael is as graceful as Sasha, Alissa and Mirai would either be fibbing or just guilty of lacking taste.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-15-2010 at 04:39 PM.

It's nice to put such a positive spin on this....

But no need to distort reality about who is graceful and who isn't because we are not blind. .
    Oh, sorry -- I thought you meant "grace" in the sense of inner beauty, full of the milk of human kindness, especially favored by Providence, that sort of thing. If you meant graceful as opposed to merely athletic skating -- well, I still think I have to disagree.

"For a few years now" our national champioons have included Alissa (graceful as all get-out but can't jump), a young Mirai (more graceful now than then, to be sure), and Miss Grace-on-Ice herself, Sasha.

As for Rachael, i don't think it's fair constantly to rag on the girl just because no one more artistic has come along to beat her. We should instead blame all those graceful girls waiting in the wings who just aren't getting their America's Sweetheart act together and who keep finishing off the podium.

Oh, sorry -- I thought you meant "grace" in the sense of inner beauty, full of the milk of human kindness, especially favored by Providence, that sort of thing. If you meant graceful as opposed to merely athletic skating -- well, I still think I have to disagree.

"For a few years now" our national champioons have included Alissa (graceful as all get-out but can't jump), a young Mirai (more graceful now than then, to be sure), and Miss Grace-on-Ice herself, Sasha.

As for Rachael, i don't think it's fair constantly to rag on the girl just because no one more artistic has come along to beat her. We should instead blame all those graceful girls waiting in the wings who just aren't getting their America's Sweetheart act together and who keep finishing off the podium.

There are many ways to interpret what I wrote. Your definition is far from complete.......

Why is it "ragging" on a skater to say their skating is athletic and not graceful?

BTW you just said it yourself.

I also mentioned "fire." I can't recall a USA Lady champion who finished so far off an Olympic podium and yet said they were very satisfied and happy with the way they skated. My recollection of Janet, Linda, Roz, Debbi, Nancy, Michelle and Sasha was that they were disappointed not to have done better. They all were on the podium too, and not in 9th place.

So yes, "grace and fire" has alway been a requirement of America's Lady Skating stars. Like I said, it has been a while since we had a skater with both qualities on the ice.

Custom Title
    thank you

r d for you help.

Custom Title
    Skating is out of the public eye which is why NBC chose to broadcast other sports during the Olympics and cut skating back.
    But did NBC cut back on skating because it is out of the public eye? .....................

................. or is skating out of the public eye because NBC cut back?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    But did NBC cut back on skating because it is out of the public eye? .....................

................. or is skating out of the public eye because NBC cut back?
    Vicious cycle. TV networks pull out of televising a sport because of low ratings (or high costs, or both). Those low ratings could be for a variety of reasons but for your sake let's just assume that it's because interest has declined. Which leads to less of it on TV, perhaps none of it, which allows interest to fade even more. They go hand in hand

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast