Kim and Kwan to headline "All That Skate Summer 2010" | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Kim and Kwan to headline "All That Skate Summer 2010"

sunny0760

On the Ice
The worst part was her step sequence. My god, the girl couldn't do her step sequence for her life. She was underwhelming, but the crowd still cheered her on. She is much better on screen. I did, however, like her cute smile, but that's really the only nice thing I can say about her. Hae-jin skated better.

Thanks for your details dlgpffps! Hope you write a even longer post after the Sunday show. Have a nice time here and tomorrow, shake your Jeremazing poster in front of him BIG time! .:)

As for Minjung's step sequences, she is improving a little but I think her lack of speed is getting in the way.

I think Haejin was good. Nice arm movements and presence on ice, surprisingly consistent jumps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvd1p_zdQU&feature=player_embedded

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Min-jeong was rather disappointing. Her weaknesses as a skater & performer were accentuated because she was sandwiched between some of the best skaters in the history of the sport (seriously, this ice show's cast was :eek:). She got a little faster (and seemed to have gained some muscle), but she was still painfully slow. She got dragged along by the music (esp. by Canon). She's definitely not a natural performer. Her jumps barely got off the ice. Her spins & spirals were nice, though. The worst part was her step sequence. My god, the girl couldn't do her step sequence for her life. She was underwhelming, but the crowd still cheered her on. She is much better on screen. I did, however, like her cute smile, but that's really the only nice thing I can say about her. Hae-jin skated better.

Yu-na's new program is MUCH MUCH better live. It's meant for the crowd. People were going bonkers. Someone talked about an "artistic bar" but that doesn't really go with what the Korean crowd wants. Skaters often comment that skating in Korea is like being a rock star. Well that's how Korean people think of it. Most American people think of ice shows as a high culture kind of thing, akin to a ballet show or a symphony concert, but the Koreans buy tickets to be entertained -- to have fun and interact with the skater. That's much easier with a program like "Bulletproof" than "Hallelujah." Well, going back to Yu-na, Yu-na is much, much better live. Her speed is stunning. Her jumps are so big, soft. She wasn't really on during "Thais", but for "Bulletproof" she was on fire! She, Michelle and Lambiel have the "it" factor, definitely. The crowd gets sucked up by their every move.

Min-Jung looked like she's grown a good few inches since last season so that may be the reason for some of the things you mentioned. I still thought she was cute, and the jumps were still small but bigger than they were back in the winter.

I thought Yuna's bulletproof was amazing on youtube, so I can't imagine what it must have been like live! Ahh crazy, and I don't think she'll find it embarrassing in 10 years, she was skating to pop music, music styles change, it's not a big deal. She's super hot and the fans love her so what is there to be embarrassed about?

I really want to thank all the youtube uploaders, without whom I wouldn't have been able to see any of these programs!

Was the odd little cartoon of Yu Na dancing in the lower left corner broadcast with the program? I found it very distracting when trying to watch the performance.

My favorite so far is Lambiel's Let the Good Times Roll!

I also liked Sale & Pelletier's Scream a lot.

I have a feeling I would have liked a lot of the programs better in person. The TV station panned out so far from the skaters you could hardly see them in many shots, particularly annoying with Belbin & Agosto's "If It Kills Me".

I agree with you, Doris. When I watched the opening number, I couldn't pick out any skater except YuNa, and her I identified by the solo and the screams of the audience. At first, I thought I was watching a fan video. It's part of the learning curve, I guess. I remember when ABC owned figure skating in the U.S. The first time I saw a skating program on another channel, I nearly turned off the TV in disgust. Either we saw a routine from the view of flies on the high, high ceiling of the arena, or we were in such close-ups all we saw was the skaters' belt buckles. I imagine that Korean TV camera crews aren't yet used to filming skaters, who are moving targets on top of all the other technical demands such as keeping a focus on footwork. It's still such a thrill to see all those skaters on the same ice. And the thought of more videos and more reports to come is even better! I'm going to have a very hard time getting to work on Monday.

cosmos

On the Ice
Yu-na's new program is MUCH MUCH better live. It's meant for the crowd. People were going bonkers. Someone talked about an "artistic bar" but that doesn't really go with what the Korean crowd wants. Skaters often comment that skating in Korea is like being a rock star. Well that's how Korean people think of it. Most American people think of ice shows as a high culture kind of thing, akin to a ballet show or a symphony concert, but the Koreans buy tickets to be entertained -- to have fun and interact with the skater. That's much easier with a program like "Bulletproof" than "Hallelujah." Well, going back to Yu-na, Yu-na is much, much better live. Her speed is stunning. Her jumps are so big, soft. She wasn't really on during "Thais", but for "Bulletproof" she was on fire! She, Michelle and Lambiel have the "it" factor, definitely. The crowd gets sucked up by their every move.
I agree with you. Naturally, Western high culture (like ballet) is not a part of Korean culture. How many Koreans would enjoy ballet?

BTW, I read that today's show was even greater than yesterday's, and Sasha was great without mistakes.

Last edited:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Tons of Koreans enjoy ballet. Before Yuna, ballet was probably 3x more popular than figure skating in Korea.

The real question is whether figure skating should be like ballet. And my emphatic answer is no.

shine

Record Breaker
Is Lambiel like the most versatile skater ever? I think so!! He has this gift of making every choreographed move seem like they were improvised on the spot, if you know what I mean. That stag double-toe following the reverse one-foot axel was amazing. I'm so glad I became and fan of skating.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
I haven't seen all the performances yet, but I have a confession to make. My favourite YuNa is when she is doing something lyrical. I don't like her new "sexy, hot, cool" packaging as much. I also have a preference for the more classical skating displays over the pop-dance routines on ice (although, among the ladies, Shae-Lynn Bourne somehow manages to always be awesome in this category.) "Bulletproof" was better than I expected it to be based on when I first only heard the song, but it didn't have my heart leaping and left in awe. I hope she and her team go back to her roots, because I know it would be breathtaking with her higher level of polish and experience at this point.

chloepoco

Medalist
I haven't seen all the performances yet, but I have a confession to make. My favourite YuNa is when she is doing something lyrical. I don't like her new "sexy, hot, cool" packaging as much. I also have a preference for the more classical skating displays over the pop-dance routines on ice (although, among the ladies, Shae-Lynn Bourne somehow manages to always be awesome in this category.) "Bulletproof" was better than I expected it to be based on when I first only heard the song, but it didn't have my heart leaping and left in awe. I hope she and her team go back to her roots, because I know it would be breathtaking with her higher level of polish and experience at this point.

Prettykeys, I'm happy to hear that you, as a Yuna Kim fan, can admit that you were not "left in awe" with Bulletproof. When I stated a few posts back that I thought Yuna's Bulletproof program was wonderful and entertaining, but not quite the masterpiece others thought it was, I was labeled/accused of being a "hardcore" Mao fan. I think Bulletproof works for Yuna because she obviously has the talent; she also has the charisma to make it work. But, there are many other programs of hers that I like better.

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice

well, I wouldn't say this ex is only sexy and cool...actually it has a different meaning. Yu-Na said that lots of moves express the words of the song. infact, La Roux wrote it to tell the feelings she had braking up with his lover. actually all her songs talk about love and they're autobiographic. so the music is not just bum bum: it tries to express her determination to be not hurt again from her lover and go forward with strenght and pride. I think Yu-Na knows something about it: I don't know if she ever had this kind of experience, but she always had the strength and the nerve to overcome each difficulty, and to become bulletproof like she surely was at the Olympics or 2009 Worlds or each competitions she entered. This ex is about defiance rather than hotness.
I think it has a great meaning for her that's why she loves to perform it (look at the fire she has through the whole program). I find it even a bit touching.

Naturally, Western high culture (like ballet) is not a part of Korean culture. How many Koreans would enjoy ballet?

I would suspect that many Koreans do indeed enjoy ballet. I guess this by the popularity of European/Western classical music in Korea and in East Asia in general. Many of the world's best classical musicians are Korean (such as violinist Kyung-wha Chung and her two siblings, one a cellist and one a pianist/conductor), Chinese (such as cellist Yo-yo Ma and pianist Lang Lang), or Japanese (such as violinist Midori Goto). But it makes sense to have a skating program like this consist of lighter, "fun" music to draw an audience. After all, YuNa is a teenager herself, though old beyond her years because of the disciplined life she's chosen.

Even a "cultural skating event" over here, such as Stars on Ice, generally depends on pop music for at least part of its program, I think.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I would suspect that many Koreans do indeed enjoy ballet. I guess this by the popularity of European/Western classical music in Korea and in East Asia in general. Many of the world's best classical musicians are Korean (such as violinist Kyung-wha Chung and her two siblings, one a cellist and one a pianist/conductor), Chinese (such as cellist Yo-yo Ma and pianist Lang Lang), or Japanese (such as violinist Midori Goto). But it makes sense to have a skating program like this consist of lighter, "fun" music to draw an audience. After all, YuNa is a teenager herself, though old beyond her years because of the disciplined life she's chosen.
I totally agree with this post, there is a huge interest in Ballet, Classical Music etc. all over Asia, I would say those two are much bigger there than in Europe these days. (But I think Yo-Yo Ma is actually a US-American, born to Chinese parents in Paris / France)

I am not a big fan of that new exhibition from Yu-Na, but I also simply hate the song - so that might be the reason for that.

And I think that Stéphane's programs show, that you don't have to choose MTV-music as your exhibition music in order to create a reaction. He rocked by the way.

I find it totally cool that Joubert also did Quads in the 2nd and 3rd show. He normally only does simply jumps in exhibitions, but I guess he wanted to show that he can also quad around in shows, not just Lambiel.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I did not see Brian Orser at all. Anyone know why he was not in Korea?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I did not see Brian Orser at all. Anyone know why he was not in Korea?

Why would he be? Yu-na does not need her coach there for an exhibition and he has other pupils who are training for the GP and summer competitions.

Dido about Lambiel. The guy is a true "dancer" and "artist" and I believe he could skate to anything. Sasha use to be like that. Yu-na never will.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Why would he be? Yu-na does not need her coach there for an exhibition and he has other pupils who are training for the GP and summer competitions.

But he was there last year, was still training other pupils, and it was an Olympic year as well.

YunaBliss

On the Ice

Dido about Lambiel. The guy is a true "dancer" and "artist" and I believe he could skate to anything. Sasha use to be like that. Yu-na never will.

haha..your blind yuna bashing amuses me. Let me just say that Sasha was wearing a freaking garter belt and thigh high stockings in a vain attempt to please the crowd, but it was Yuna, who barely showed any skin, that put everyone in awe with her presence and sublime sensuality. 3 years ago, you may have been right, but over
the past few years, yuna has transformed herself into a
sublimely expressive and dynamic performer.