Pet Peeves | Golden Skate

Pet Peeves

heyang

Record Breaker
Ok - everyone's got at least one. Here are a couple of mine. Nothing skating related please.

When the hot water [at a seminar/conference/buffet] for tea tastes like stale coffee because they don't keep separate thermoses for coffee and hot water. Blech! Tea drinkers unite and start complaining.

When a group of people stand in front of a doorway to chat; thus, preventing the rest of us from exiting or entering said doorway. What makes it worse is when they give you a nasty look when you loudly say 'Excuse Me' after standing there without being noticed. Same goes for people who stop and stand at the end of the escalator and get annoyed when you practically step on them.

A group of people who walk down the middle of a parking lot aisle and not paying attention to cars. Please move to the side and let the car drive past you - the aisle is not a sidewalk.

Drivers who won't move to the left lane when they are not getting off of the highway and there's no one in the left lane and there is a line of cars trying to get onto the highway.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Smokers who gather outside of the doors at medical buildings. Even when it clearly says "No Smoking".

Drivers who do not put their turn signals on until they get right to the intersection.

People who call and don't leave a message.

When you order take out and get it home to find the order is wrong.

I hate lettuce on a hot sandwich (think it tastes bitter). So when I order (usually a burger at drive throughs) without lettuce and then find they have made it with lettuce and have tried to remove it which either takes off the mayo/mustard and always leaves a few little bits, or sometimes both, especially if the lettuce is shredded.

When UPS/Fed Ex do not give you time to answer the door and the package you have paid overnight shipping for goes back to the warehouse.

Wet mail/newspaper.

When the check out clerk in the express lane is the slowest clerk in the store.

Thanks Heyang I feel better from just venting!

Piel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
.......When it's your turn to pay for your items at the check-out booth at let's say, Mervyns or Sears, the phone rings, and the clerk has you wait while he or she take the phone call and help the customer on the phone before you.....hey, I'm the paying customer here............42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
People who talk and generally make noise during a movie at the theatre.

Noisey neighbours - like the ones below my apt.

People with no manners especially while driving.

The clerks as Show mentioned or receptionists at Drs. offices who ignore you while they are on the phone.

Smokers.

Tenants who roar in and roar out of the parking lot of my apt. building at all hours and don't have any consideration for their neighbours.

When my mail does not get delivered to my mail box - goes to another mail box in the apt. complex.

Kids screaming for no reason or are running through a dept. store while their parents ignore them.

I have a couple more:

Endless road construction that never is completed on time and one has to zig zag all the way to work and back or get stuck in traffic.

Loud commercials played at the theatre just before the movie begins - please I am not deaf!

Workmates who insist on listening to their favorite music station all day, day in and day out subjecting you to it.

Last edited:

serenity

On the Ice
Children that have control at day one. The older your children are the longer this takes to take control away from them so start as soon as they are out and in to the world. I see this in the stores with children ruling the roost.

The cleaning ppl come in the public bathroom but won't let you use the bathroom while they are in there. But it is okay to use the bathroom with a bunch of women you don't know from Adam.
This makes no sense at all to me.

People that stare at someone that look different. Yes they look different. So your not use to them. Ask them why they look this way or teach you children all about different looking ppl in the world. Ignorence taught to children bugs me. Expose your children to differnt ppl when they are young then they will not treat them like they are in contagious in public.
People please don't stare. It is rude.

Plublic places that sell alcohol to you so you can get drunk during the ball game, concert or wherever. Then you are on the road to drive home drunk. You have a longer chance living with a poof of smoke in your face (cause you can leave the smoky scene) then you do with a drunkin driver sent on the road crashing in to you.
I don't like bars either.
Okay I feel better.

Last edited:

4dogknight

Final Flight
Commercials that gender bash, specifically Enterprise Car Rental, DayQuil and Ace Hardware.

Enterprise Car Rental: When that little twit bounces out of the truck, grabs the bucket and announces to her husband that the "HoneyDo list just got a little longer" and then trots off with a smirk on her face. I just want to slap her.

DayQuil: The ad where the husband is lying on sofa obviously ill with either a bad cold or the flu and the 'little' woman' waltzes in and offers him some DayQuil so he can go out and enjoy the snow. In the husband's delirium, we see him frolicking in the snow but no, the wife interjects, pops the dream and is holding a shovel. The only reason she gave him the DayQuil is to shovel snow. What - are her arms broken?

Ace Hardware: the commercial where the wife waltzes into the kitchen where the husband has just finished a fan project and is now working on the sink garbage disposal. The guy has his hand down the disposal and the wife is not looking at him but at the kitchen fan and flips the switch. This commercial bothers me on several levels: first - the statement by the wife to the husband "did you do that" indicating that she doesn't think the boob can find his ....armpit with both hands. Second - she doesn't bother to look to see what he's doing and is only concerned with fan and the idea that he couldn't possible have done anything like installing a switch.

I've written to those companies indicating my displeasure and spelling out the reasons why I find the ads distasteful and why my family will never even consider doing business with them.

Lately I've been noticing a trend in TV, films and advertising that portrays men as having a lower intellect, unable to perform the simplest of tasks and generally acting like couch potatoes unable to understand anything other than organized sports programs and scores.

And while in most instances, the woman is portrayed as the 'hero', the 'smart one' and the ‘doer of great deeds’ there are some commercials where the children play the lead roles.

I don’t know which scenario bothers me more, the women as the dominant influence or the children as the movers and shakers.

In my household my husband and I share equally, the successes and the failures, and no one points a finger or keeps score.

4dk

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lately I've been noticing a trend in TV, films and advertising that portrays men as having a lower intellect,
I think this is a classic SitCom theme. Even at one of my favs, the Cosby Show, Cliff is always trying to do something stupid (fix something he cannot fix, do super-tax thing, etc.), while the wise Claire stops him. Even before that, if you think of the Honeymooners, the guy is always puting his foot in his mouth, and his wife "knows better". OTOH, of course, we've had shows like I Love Lucy or The Nanny where the woman is rather brainless. But I guess that's sitcoms -- someone always has to be brainless.

mike79

On the Ice
Telemarketers. I don't care if it's their job, I hate them all. The worst is when they call through an automated system so when you answer the phone there's no one there. If you wait for a second they finally pick up and say 'Hello?'

Usually I hang up after telling them off briefly, but when I'm in the mood to amuse myself I like to say 'No, so-and-so is not here. How about I get them to call YOU back?' They have no rebuttal written for them then! They try to say that you can't call them back, and then of course I ask 'So what makes you think you're allowed to call here?'

There was one time I was so mad after getting a call from the same place three times in a row that I threatened to sue the person who called me and his company for mental anguish! (I was just fooling around of course) Needless to say he was pretty speechless.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Children that have control at day one. The older your children are the longer this takes to take control away from them so start as soon as they are out and in to the world. I see this in the stores with children ruling the roost.

that is definately my BIGGEST pet peeve. I REFUSE to babysit unruly children... ESPECIALLY when the parents tell me that even TIME OUTS are a no no... that the kids need to be "free spirits" or it will "wreck their self-esteem" well what about *MY* self-esteem??????????

Usually I hang up after telling them off briefly, but when I'm in the mood to amuse myself I like to say 'No, so-and-so is not here. How about I get them to call YOU back?' They have no rebuttal written for them then! They try to say that you can't call them back, and then of course I ask 'So what makes you think you're allowed to call here?'

with my last name being Reitter (pronounced WRITER) we get a lot of "reeter" "Ritter" "re-itter" so we just politely tell them there's no one there by that name LOL!

guinevere

Final Flight
- People who talk on cell phones while driving. Actually, people on cell phones are pretty irksome anywhere, but while driving is the worst.

- I hate when I walk down the street, and a group of 2 or more people are coming the other way. 9 times out of 10, the people will look me right in the eys and not budge an inch - meaning I have to move out of their way to pass them, instead of them going single file for 3 seconds. I walk everywhere, so this one drives me batty - especially when it's only 2 people and they walk spread out so they take up the whole sidewalk. When I walk with a friend and pass someone else, one of us always moves to accommodate the other person!

- a lack of proofreading on important materials, such as resumes, programs, brochures. I confess to being the spelling/grammar police. Not in a forum such as this - I'm a terrible typist and make mistakes in my posts all the time! But anything that is being presented in public, or especially a resume, should be proofread carefully. Errors of this sort reflect very poorly on the person or company that allows mistakes.

- The mother of all pet peeves: using "could of" or "should of". It's could HAVE and should HAVE.

- My friend who does not have voice mail and has to unplug her phone to go online --> and then forgets to plug her phone back in! We make plans, and then I have no way of contacting her! She ends up calling the next day, saying, "oh, I forgot to plug my phone back in, tee hee!" I want to say GET VOICE MAIL.

- perfume and cologne. Ick.

guinevere
a.k.a. Cranky Girl

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
This may seem horribly silly but it makes me a crazy canuck:

Using a public washroom, and the toilet paper is in the dispenser so tightly that it comes off one square at a time! I swear 95% of public toilet paper dispensers are like this.

Canuck

windspirit

On the Ice
The people who walk in the middle of the road, and you have to stop your car and wait for them to move -- if they choose to move at all. I just love the look on their faces when I use my horn on them, they're literally shocked and look at me with their mouths open, as if they saw a ghost. "Whaaaat....? Does it mean that I have to move -- actually think about someone else THAN ME??? I don't understand..." LOVE IT! http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/rotfl.gif

Today, when I was approaching an intersection there was a group of kids, standing exactly in the middle of the road. They did absolutely nothing as I was coming towards them in my car. I used my horn -- the horror on their faces -- they moved onto the sidewalk. I stopped at the intersection, and in the corner of my eye I saw that some boys from the group were saying something to me (I could imagine what, lol). When I looked to see if any cars were coming from the left, I noticed that one of them decided to express his disappointment by showing me his bare ass. Well, it was his lucky day; I had my digital camera in its case, otherwise he would've seen his bare ass on a few trees on the following day for all his school buddies to see. Or maybe his face expression after I had taken his pic would've been enough, I'm not sure. But from now on I've decided to drive with my camera on the next seat, and ready to shoot. :D

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
sk8tngcanuck said:
This may seem horribly silly but it makes me a crazy canuck:

Using a public washroom, and the toilet paper is in the dispenser so tightly that it comes off one square at a time! I swear 95% of public toilet paper dispensers are like this.

Canuck
This drives me nutty too!!

guinevere

serenity

On the Ice
Telemarketers
I found this a week ago http://www.bankrate.com/nsc/news/advice/20031107a1.asp and I like to ask them when they are going to get their hair cut? Or go rattling on like a teeenager and trailing on about other stuff but always asking them questions along the way from my stories. I keep them on the phone that way for quite awhile. ha ha Less work done by them and more fun for me.

GoldenLady

On the Ice
guinevere said:
- People who talk on cell phones while driving. Actually, people on cell phones are pretty irksome anywhere, but while driving is the worst.

- I hate when I walk down the street, and a group of 2 or more people are coming the other way. 9 times out of 10, the people will look me right in the eys and not budge an inch - meaning I have to move out of their way to pass them, instead of them going single file for 3 seconds. I walk everywhere, so this one drives me batty - especially when it's only 2 people and they walk spread out so they take up the whole sidewalk. When I walk with a friend and pass someone else, one of us always moves to accommodate the other person!

- a lack of proofreading on important materials, such as resumes, programs, brochures. I confess to being the spelling/grammar police. Not in a forum such as this - I'm a terrible typist and make mistakes in my posts all the time! But anything that is being presented in public, or especially a resume, should be proofread carefully. Errors of this sort reflect very poorly on the person or company that allows mistakes.

- The mother of all pet peeves: using "could of" or "should of". It's could HAVE and should HAVE.

- My friend who does not have voice mail and has to unplug her phone to go online --> and then forgets to plug her phone back in! We make plans, and then I have no way of contacting her! She ends up calling the next day, saying, "oh, I forgot to plug my phone back in, tee hee!" I want to say GET VOICE MAIL.

- perfume and cologne. Ick.

guinevere
a.k.a. Cranky Girl

Wow Guinevere, I must be a cranky girl too, because I agree with all of your pet peeves! Other than the phone one (haven't had that happen too often, but can see why it would be annoying), I could almost have written that list myself. I think the first three you mentioned are the most annoying to me; the sidewalk thing is especially irksome. :mad: Thanks for posting!

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
heyang said:
When a group of people stand in front of a doorway to chat; thus, preventing the rest of us from exiting or entering said doorway. What makes it worse is when they give you a nasty look when you loudly say 'Excuse Me' after standing there without being noticed. Same goes for people who stop and stand at the end of the escalator and get annoyed when you practically step on them.

A group of people who walk down the middle of a parking lot aisle and not paying attention to cars. Please move to the side and let the car drive past you - the aisle is not a sidewalk.

Drivers who won't move to the left lane when they are not getting off of the highway and there's no one in the left lane and there is a line of cars trying to get onto the highway.

Heyang, ITA. Things like that drive me CRAZY!! Seems like a total lack of consideration for other people. I can't help but feel that our society is getting more 'me, me, me' every day, and it's UGLY.

heyang

Record Breaker
a lack of proofreading on important materials, such as resumes, programs, brochures. I confess to being the spelling/grammar police. Not in a forum such as this - I'm a terrible typist and make mistakes in my posts all the time! But anything that is being presented in public, or especially a resume, should be proofread carefully. Errors of this sort reflect very poorly on the person or company that allows mistakes.

ITA agree with this one. I constantly comment about this when I write a review for one of my reportees. On her last 2 reviews, I recommended that she select a writing skills course and she has not fulfilled that goal. Reviews need to be written in a couple of months and I am sure that I will be including this again. I have researched an online course for her, but told her that she should follow up. As a result, I rewrite a lot of e-mails and write more documentation.

Another pet peeve: people who leave a mess in the coffee stations at work. I don't know how many times I've wiped coffee off the counter so that I don't inadvertently soak it up with my sleeves. I hope people don't make that big a mess at home. Hello - the paper towels are less than 2 feet from where you are standing and making a mess.

Speaking of bathrooms: Please make sure you flush your bodily waste. I don't think I should need to add to that. Sorry if I grossed anyone out.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
heyang:

I will add to that proofreading or lack of proofreading - newspapers - I've seen more blunders in newspapers. You'd think these people would really be on top of things!

People or retail outlets who use the wrong word for a sign - for example - stationary when they mean stationery!

Relying too heavily on "spell check" in Word processing programs. The Dictionary is still the best source.

People who use bad language (especially at work) - constantly.

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
God I have so many!!!

I hate in when my house mates allow food to boil over on the cooker and don't clean it after them!!
I hate it when they say the bathroom is clean and all they have done is spray some stuff in the bath and toilet!

Unruly children who have no manners and are spoiled rotten.

Children in bars, I go there for a quiet drink, not to have some screaming kid hyper on fizzy drinks screeching and running around. Hate it even more when said kids are being encouraged by their parents to amuse themselves so that parents can have some peace.

Being invisible on the streets. I know I am small but does everyone *have* to walk through me. Give and take people! On the same thing would it kill people to check behind them before they let a door swing shut!

Also please and thank you are still part of the english language, they are not alien words and I don't think it would kill people to use them every now and then.

In short, bad manners, lack of consideration and dirtiness are my pet peeves ;)

Pookie

Final Flight
It drives me crazy when someone asks a question and then doesn't care enough listen to the answer. Why bother? I'm not the most exciting person to talk to but they did ask!

You all aren't listening, are you? :laugh: