Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

TriGirl Rinkside

Re: Pet Peeves

Originally posted by heyang
    When a group of people stand in front of a doorway to chat; thus, preventing the rest of us from exiting or entering said doorway. What makes it worse is when they give you a nasty look when you loudly say 'Excuse Me' after standing there without being noticed. Same goes for people who stop and stand at the end of the escalator and get annoyed when you practically step on them.

A group of people who walk down the middle of a parking lot aisle and not paying attention to cars. Please move to the side and let the car drive past you - the aisle is not a sidewalk.

Drivers who won't move to the left lane when they are not getting off of the highway and there's no one in the left lane and there is a line of cars trying to get onto the highway.
    Heyang, ITA. Things like that drive me CRAZY!! Seems like a total lack of consideration for other people. I can't help but feel that our society is getting more 'me, me, me' every day, and it's UGLY.

a lack of proofreading on important materials, such as resumes, programs, brochures. I confess to being the spelling/grammar police. Not in a forum such as this - I'm a terrible typist and make mistakes in my posts all the time! But anything that is being presented in public, or especially a resume, should be proofread carefully. Errors of this sort reflect very poorly on the person or company that allows mistakes.
    ITA agree with this one. I constantly comment about this when I write a review for one of my reportees. On her last 2 reviews, I recommended that she select a writing skills course and she has not fulfilled that goal. Reviews need to be written in a couple of months and I am sure that I will be including this again. I have researched an online course for her, but told her that she should follow up. As a result, I rewrite a lot of e-mails and write more documentation.

Another pet peeve: people who leave a mess in the coffee stations at work. I don't know how many times I've wiped coffee off the counter so that I don't inadvertently soak it up with my sleeves. I hope people don't make that big a mess at home. Hello - the paper towels are less than 2 feet from where you are standing and making a mess.

Speaking of bathrooms: Please make sure you flush your bodily waste. I don't think I should need to add to that. Sorry if I grossed anyone out.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    heyang:

I will add to that proofreading or lack of proofreading - newspapers - I've seen more blunders in newspapers. You'd think these people would really be on top of things!

People or retail outlets who use the wrong word for a sign - for example - stationary when they mean stationery!

Relying too heavily on "spell check" in Word processing programs. The Dictionary is still the best source.

People who use bad language (especially at work) - constantly.
    Last edited by Ladskater; 11-21-2003 at 10:39 AM.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    God I have so many!!!

I hate in when my house mates allow food to boil over on the cooker and don't clean it after them!!
    I hate it when they say the bathroom is clean and all they have done is spray some stuff in the bath and toilet!

Unruly children who have no manners and are spoiled rotten.

Children in bars, I go there for a quiet drink, not to have some screaming kid hyper on fizzy drinks screeching and running around. Hate it even more when said kids are being encouraged by their parents to amuse themselves so that parents can have some peace.

Being invisible on the streets. I know I am small but does everyone *have* to walk through me. Give and take people! On the same thing would it kill people to check behind them before they let a door swing shut!

Also please and thank you are still part of the english language, they are not alien words and I don't think it would kill people to use them every now and then.

In short, bad manners, lack of consideration and dirtiness are my pet peeves

It drives me crazy when someone asks a question and then doesn't care enough listen to the answer. Why bother? I'm not the most exciting person to talk to but they did ask!

You all aren't listening, are you?

Lad wrote...

I will add to that proofreading or lack of proofreading - newspapers - I've seen more blunders in newspapers. You'd think these people would really be on top of things!
    -------------------------------------------
    How true!
    Yesterday evening our local newspaper had a little message that read something like....

Due to flooding it has been difficult and in some cases impossible for us to get today's paper to all of our customers. If you did not receive this paper please call 555-5555 and we will attempt to get one to you as soon as possible.
    :sheesh:

Custom Title
    For those that are sick of the unruly children that seem to be more and more common these days, here's a link for you: http://www.fred.net/turtle/kids/kidrants.shtml

Warning: if you're convinced that your particular bundle of joy is the end all be all and no one should ever feel differently, and those that would dare to say they don't want any of their own bug you, then you might get offended by the opinions that are posted.

My pet peeves have been covered already by other posts here, but I'm sure I can come up with more later.

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    The teens in my neighborhood who fill my entire street as they walk to the bottom where the bus stop is. I can barely get my little car through in the mornings when I come home from early morning skating--God forbid the insolent little darlings would ever be courteous enough to move to the side of the road.

And while we are on that--is it a teenager rule that its better to get soaked or freeze to death rather than wear a warm coat or carry an umbrella over your "cool" clothes???? And is smiling also illegal in the teen world? My yearbook was filled with candids of smiling students. Now all of them look like they're about to go on the Bataan Death March.

Girls and women who are not built like Britney Spears who insist on wearing the crop top-Britney-bare belly look. Ick. Yuck. I don't need to see that, especially when you're over 35.

Parents who blame every mistake/poor perfomance/less than perfect act on the part of their children on the teacher/coach/system. After all, their little darling shouldn't have to put in any effort, he or she should get a coronation just based on their inherent natural talents.

Personal working PET peeves:

Patients who show up massively early for appointments or very late, then get angry when they aren't taken care of right away. Yes, I realize doctor's offices have wait times, but you don't help out in any way by not following the schedule. Our schedule usually runs like a clock in my dept. and 90% of the time, the delays are caused by patients showing up late.

Massively overweight patients who cannot handle not eating for a few hours while they undergo an imaging test that could make a big difference in the course of their health. I'm not kidding, we've had people refuse tests or walk out halfway because they cannot go for a few hours without stuffing themselves. (Would you believe I've been yelled at that "I'm starving people" or "discriminating against the overweight" because I expect them to follow the same rules as every other patient????) Its truly sad.

Fellow physicians who expect scan results three minutes after the study is completed, but whom you can barely find when you need information on the patient to DO the doggone study!!!!

Skating Freak Barbie
    Anything related to the turn signal in cars! About 1.7% of the population use them properly, and never around me!

Kasey

Custom Title
    Originally posted by 4dogknight
    Lately I've been noticing a trend in TV, films and advertising that portrays men as having a lower intellect, unable to perform the simplest of tasks and generally acting like couch potatoes unable to understand anything other than organized sports programs and scores.

Well, good for you. For me, unfortunately, the above statement rings true

The thing is, what offends one person, another person is going to find funny. T.V. is full of stereotypes, I am offended by the ones that hit close to home whereas I'm sure others would find hilarious. Can't please everyone.:sheesh:

Custom Title

Pet Peeves

People who brake as they approach an intersection hoping the light will turn yellow so they can stop. Am I the only one who has to be somewhere at a certain time?

People who are stopped at a red light and when it turns green stay there until you beep at them and then they get pissed and give you the finger.

I walked into an expensive store's ladies room and as I walked I looked into each stall and had to walk to the 6th one because the first 5 weren't flushed. I really thought they had a plumbing problem or something but there wasn't. Do they do that at home, too?

People at a party who ask where you live (i.e., neighborhood or subdivision) and if it isn't prestigious enough for their taste, kind of tune you out as if you weren't rich enough to waste their time talking to you.

Snobs.

Brats.

Shaking hands as a sign of peace and greeting each other with a handshake at church and joining hands during the Our Father. Why can't we just nod our heads. I don't want to hold your hand, I don't even know you or if you are sick.
    Last edited by Suzy; 11-22-2003 at 06:38 AM.

Custom Title

Re: Pet Peeves

Originally posted by Suzy

Shaking hands as a sign of peace and greeting each other with a handshake at church and joining hands during the Our Father. Why can't we just nod our heads. I don't want to hold your hand, I don't even know you or if you are sick.
    OMG, thank you for saying that! I find it gross as well. What's worse is when you get people around you that are huggy and they get offended when you take a step back to avoid being smothered by them. I keep my hands to myself and do not join in; if they think I'm rude, so be it.

Re: Re: Pet Peeves

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How sad. That is why God made handwashing.

Suzy, I totally agree with the "non-flushable"toilet problem. To add to that, what about people who don't "wash" their hands after they use the toilet? Gross!!! 42

On the Ice
    Ooh I have lots. Basically I'm an intolerant person!

In no particular order:

TV adverts
    People swearing
    Untidy, lazy people
    The Ungrateful
    The Arrogant
    bad manners
    unreliable bus, train and air service
    white van drivers and inconsiderate ones
    sports with balls being televised in preference to skating
    white cat hair
    people who shed hair on my floor