Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "Please say something nice about Evan and Plushy in the same post thread"

The "Please say something nice about Evan and Plushy in the same post thread"

The Men's competiton in Vancouver could not have been closer. I would like to thank two great competitors and fine Olympic Champions for bringing us so much excitement.

Both of them were worthy of winning (and Dai too) and as Joesitz has recently said there is no reason to like your favorite - any more or less - based on the color of his medal.

It must be terribly hard skating under so much pressure while trying to show your best.

I thank both of them for the many memories they have provided to skating fans over the years.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-04-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Lysacek? Plushenko? Those two twerps? Go Adrian Schultheiss!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Lysacek? Plushenko? Those two twerps? Go Adrian Schultheiss!
    *smacks Mathman upside the head* now don't YOU start!

I think Evan's pretty (gotta give a shout out to Joesitz it IS the off season after all).

Men's event at the Olympics by far the most exciting and surprising. and it's thanks to these two.

Custom Title
    Evan is very good looking.

Plushy has a great 3a that doesn't look like a 3sal.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Lol
    I squeezed my brain and all I came with is:
    Plushy: The King ..dah(what this banana is supposed to be doing?)
    Evan: Happy Birthday

Custom Title
    Plushenko came back after three years away from competition and landed a 4-3 combo as if it was a walk in the park. His competitive vigour and bravura skating have rightly won him the adulation of those around the world and his three Olympic medals remains a laudatory achievement.

Lysacek pushed himself extremely hard after a disappointing 2008 season (missing Worlds due to injury). Watching him improve over the 2008/09 season with his "Rhapsody in Blue" program was wonderful and seeing his athleticism and command of the ice improve over the past quadrennial has been enjoyable.

Custom Title
    That men's final was one of the best ever, both short and long program. I don't think we have to worry about the future of skating if this is the quality we're getting!

One thing that got me about Plushy as he took to the ice was his absolute confidence. There's something really impressive about a guy who can show up in the greatest pressure situation in his sport and just let it rip—and this after almost four years off the ice! Not only that, because he had not competed last year, he was unranked, so didn't he skate in the first flight or thereabouts for the short program? And he still ended up with one of the highest scores of the night. This is a guy who knows he belongs on the ice, in the spotlight. Nothing shakes him.

Evan started standing out for me in 2006, when he got sick and still powered himself to just shy of the podium. If what Plushenko has is confidence, what Lysacek has is sheer determination. This is not a man who waits for inspiration to strike. He just keeps going. He plans, he prepares, he absorbs everything he can from teachers, and he sets to work and doesn't give up. No wonder Frank Carroll loves coaching him. Coaches and teachers live for students like this, who take in everything and give their all in return.

The other thing I love about Evan is the way he handled himself off the ice when criticism of his win started surfacing. If anyone can find the interview Bob Costas did with him, watch it. The dignity with which he answered Costas's questions, and the measured, articulate responses he gave, mesmerized me. I couldn't have reacted with such cool precision in a situation like that. This isn't a kid. This is a man. Not just skating but public life in general could use more like him.
    (Yes, I remember that he made a snippy comment about Weir at one point later on, but he did apologize, and nobody's a perfect paragon all the time. He sure hit the moral high ground during the Olympics.)

As for which guy's skating I like better, I prefer one or the other depending on the particular performance. Neither is at the top of my Skate Swoon List; those spots are reserved for Browning, Curry, Wylie, and Yagudin, with Takahashi closing in fast. Obviously, when it comes to Plushy vs. Evan, Plushy wins in terms of jumps. But skating technique is not my field of knowledge. I'll wait to hear how the site experts analyze each of these guys.

Custom Title
    It is awesome that Plushenko came back after so many years and still had that wonderful quad/triple combination plus of course other jumps, although in the latter ones Vancouver did not see his best jumping ability in the freeskate. I have seen his skating live in Finlandia Trophy and especially loved the Bolero short programme.

I have been Lysacek´s fan since the days he was competing in Junior Worlds and waited eagerly for the time he will appear in international senior competitions. I did not expect him to win in Vancouver, although I hoped it very much. Already e.g. Worlds 2009 showed what a strong competitor he is. After he succeeded in his Vancouver short programme so well, I started to have big hopes. On the other hand Plushenko with his several World titles and two Olympic medals was the skater with bigger reputation. The competition was really exciting as it was so close.
    Last edited by Jaana; 06-04-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Custom Title
    Because of these two, the men's event was the nailbiter. You have to give Plush his due. He's a great athlete and a great performer. I think "Sex Bomb" was without artistic peer. And who new he had such six pack abs? Simply awesome! As Scott said this guy is just "sick with talent and ability." Je suis malade was a great gala skate, BTW. Worth watching if you haven't seen it.
    He has made me laugh many times. I missed him after Torino.

Evan is long, lean, fast and handsome. And then of course he is a great skater, worthy champion. I am glad Plushenko came back and I hope we have not seen the last of Evan in competition. It will be far less interesting without them.

Plushy is an amazing athlete, to come back so strongly after 3 years away from Olympic eligible competition.

Evan has a great work ethic.

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    They can both skate pretty well...

Custom Title
    I am going to see these two in a few hours at Medalists on Ice Show.
    I exactly don't know what I expect about these two olympic champs and other greats - Yagudin, Buttle, Lambiel.... Just so excited.

I like this Lysecek. Felt inspired for the first time from his skating.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zJXcviX0I[/url]
    Watching his performance at his age of 17, I could see that the consistency, Evan consistency was already there.

Plush is a legend. No doubt about it.
    Many have criticized his programs at olys and said it was due to the lack of stratege/good choreo from Team Plush's part but I wonder if his stamina could keep all those transitions considering his injuries and age. He could have done a little better at performing at olys but he managed to ovecome 3 years absence and his physical limits.

I've only got this to say:

[URL="http://www.gifsoup.com/view/665760/worlds09-daisuke-takahashi-o.gif"]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/665760/worlds09-daisuke-takahashi-o.gif[/URL]
    DAISUKEEEEEEE!

Custom Title
    "Please say something nice about Evan and Plushy in the same post."

Evan and Plushy would look so handsome and distinguished standing next to Mao Asada.

Wait a minute. Is this the right thread?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Evan and Plushy are both very hard working competitors who always do the best they can, whether injured, or sick or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast