New President of Russian Figure Skating Federation Selected Today, Plus a Surprise | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New President of Russian Figure Skating Federation Selected Today, Plus a Surprise

KKonas

Medalist
Is this the same one who was OK with the exquisitely innovative "bungee chord" assisted dancing shown by D/S in Vancouver :eek:hwell:

Yes, as head of the Ice Dance Tech Committee, he was the only one with the power to approve it on his own. Of course, now there is a new rule to disallow such "assisted lifts" after Domnina & Shabalin used it to help them win European gold and Olympic bronze, so it doesn't really matter any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, as head of the Ice Dance Tech Committee, he was the only one with the power to approve it on his own. Of course, now there is a new rule to disallow such "assisted lifts" after Domnina & Shabalin used it to help them win European gold and Olympic bronze, so it doesn't really matter any more.

It might not matter to you, but others might feel differently.
D/S on merit did not deserve their medal and to this day it is why I wouldn't mind if Ice Dancing was kicked out of the Olympics.

I like watching it enough - but rarely have a seen a so called "sport" with such a history of cheating, dirty tricks and out and out match fixing.

After Vancouver I see that the tradition is being carried on. :disapp: :mad: :disagree:

KKonas

Medalist
It might not matter to you, but others might feel differently.
D/S on merit did not deserve their medal and to this day it is why I wouldn't mind if Ice Dancing was kicked out of the Olympics.

I like watching it enough - but rarely have a seen a so called "sport" with such a history of cheating, dirty tricks and out and out match fixing.

After Vancouver I see that the tradition is being carried on. :disapp: :mad: :disagree:

I didn't say it didn't matter to me - it doesn't matter to Piseev or Gorshkov anymore because it served it's purpose in allowing the lift to be classified as "legal" instead of "illegal" where the Tech panel would have had to give the move a zero, which probably would have lost D/S European gold and Olympic bronze, which is probably all Gorshkov, Piseev, Linichuk and D/S cared about.

wallylutz

Medalist
Today there was a meeting in Russia, for the purpose of choosing a new president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, the FFKR in Russian. There were three candidates from whom to choose. One, Oksana Grishchuk ("Oxana (Pasha) Grishuk"), was disallowed as a candidate,

Oksana Grishchuk? I was wondering what have become of her. Geez, she is not even allowed to run as a candidate? I thought she would be ideal for a figurehead role or perhaps she is too controversial for even such a position?

Lucky Star

Final Flight

Eville Russians vs. good N.Americans again? Oh God, I'm so tired of it...

Back to the topic: I feel that nothing really changed. Gorshkov or Piseev, it will be the same. But I believe that Russian team will be good in Sochi, 'cause we have so many talents coming up in ladies (plus Makarova and Leonova), two really strong dance teams and "dream team" in pairs, Volosozhar/Trankov.

There are some photos from the elections for FFKR at the official website, I like this one
http://www.fsrussia.ru/gal/photo671/
So good to see Max! And Yana is cute :love:

Last edited:

Fashionista

On the Ice
If the ISU keeps Gorshkov as head of ISU Ice Dance Tech Committee and Alla S. becomes a member of the Dance Tech Committee, and Lakernik remains head of singles and pairs, we might as well rename the ISU, the RSU.
What's the difference with now days situation when Lakernik is a head of singles and pairs, Gorshkov is a head of dance and Shekhovtsova is a head of judges board?

I think one has to remember that there is a difference between the Soviet people, and the Russian people.

Stalin ruled with an iron hand. It could be that Piseev (a former Soviet) learned from that experience. When someone has absolute power, it is not easy to give it up. If the present laws of the Russian Federation allowed for this, then Piseev is within his rights to amend the RF constitution unless there is provision in the constitution that requires a vote to change it. I don't know anything about the situation in the RF.

As I said, there is a difference between the people who grew up with one type of government and those who are now experiencing another type.

There certainly is a difference in Figure Skating. The Russian skaters of today struggling to medal at competitions despite being coached by former Soviet instructors are not the same as the former Soviet skaters. Remember when we discussed not so much about who will win but how many disciplines willl the Soviets get?

I have no idea what plans Piseev may have if he is interested in improving the medal situation. Maybe he doesn't care. He has a job and all those junkets to far away places are nice perks for himself and wife.

He will need a new perspective with fresh ideas. JMO.

Last edited:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Jana is cute, her dress is adorable, so she was there for the election, any mention of Fedor, or when she will be leaving for Michigan I am in suspense!!!

Blazing Blades Commentary

Pre-Sochi politics within Russia's Figure Skating Federation: The Presidential Election Set Up!

Piseev Gets New Title - Retains Power
This paragraph justifies the establishment of the Director-General, but who are the membership? Can anyone answer without a guess?

Prior to the election the membership approved the new position of RFSF General Director, seeding it all the powers of the Presidency, another dubious move thus relegating any newly elected President into the role as a figurehead puppet. With the powers to be in the Russian Govt ready and willing to scapegoat whomever rules the roost within it's Sports Federations if they do not bring home Gold Medals from Sochi, no one in their right mind should want to hold the Presidency of a winter sports federation

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Lucky Star - I know there are those who just see "Eville Russia vs. good N.Ameica" , just as there are those who see "eville N.America trying to undermine good Russia." But I don't believe that is the general outlook here. I'm sure I speak for many when I say it certainly isn't my outlook.

Skaters of many nationalities including Russian skaters may have been held back unfairly if the politicking has been as all-pervasive as suspected...while the movers and shakers enjoy prestige and perks such as all expense paid trips all over the world and who knows what else.

If this is only to be a game of musical chairs , and Russian observers are thinking it's a farce, it's not good news for anyone. :mad:

Last edited:
This paragraph justifies the establishment of the Director-General, but who are the membership? Can anyone answer without a guess?

According - ahem -- to Wikipedia :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_Skating_Federation_of_Russia

the Russian Skating Federation (like the ISU) does not have individual members. Its governing body is the "Conference" that meets every two years. Each of the 36 regional associations appoints a representative to the Conference. Matters are transacted by a vote of these representatives.

Between Conferences the elected officers run the show pretty much however they want.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I read somewhere that Anton S -when he retired from candidate when he learnt the changes - said that he does not want to just "carry around the suitcase of the General Director" in his role as President. I found it funny at that moment but now sigh..I wish someone younger was in the lead now, not necessary Anton but at least someone with fresh ideas, a program, a charisma to communicate and will to work. Speaking a foreign language would not harm as well. And change all RF from scratch. I m sick of Pisseev's face and his corrupted clows everywhere.

by the way I just saw rusian federation site is goldskate.ru:laugh:

wallylutz

Medalist
by the way I just saw rusian federation site is goldskate.ru:laugh:

They are run like a corporation where skaters are more or less like employees. They are used to make money for the company while most of their expenses are paid. Given such focus on profits, it would seem the word gold is a most fitting description.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I read somewhere that Anton S -when he retired from candidate when he learnt the changes - said that he does not want to just "carry around the suitcase of the General Director" in his role as President.
Let's not lose site of the theatrics here. Everyone "in the know" knew what Piseev's role was going to be. The journalists knew it - so I'm certain that Sikharulidze knew it as well as anyone else. His withdrawal from the race was timed perfectly for maximum press coverage. Yes, it's sad that it happened, but keep in mind that his "Oh, I just found out what the corrupt deal is going to be" spiel is somewhat disingenuous to say the least.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Actually this is what I read in kommersant, and I found it a funny comment as I said, I didnt imply poor Anton he didnt knew etc.. I m sure there is behind the scenes that we never find out anyway.
If journalists knew about it as well as everyone beforehand, was it any reaction on papers etc before the actual day of elections?just wondering...

KKonas

Medalist
What's the difference with now days situation when Lakernik is a head of singles and pairs, Gorshkov is a head of dance and Shekhovtsova is a head of judges board?

Under the proposed new rules before the Congress, the Tech Committees and its Chairs will become even more powerful than they are now.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Seniorita, first of all I read two journalists (Werner and Vaitsekhovskaya) who're always very critical of Piseev and Co. Here's an essay of Vaitskekhovskaya's on Piseev I translated some time back - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/44329.htm, it goes a bit into Verner's relationship with Piseev as well. The thing is, though, that they don't have that much trust in Anton's abilities either. They seemed to think that someone like Ovchinnikov (a very serious candidate) could've been great, but they also think that the president now will become the scape goat after Sochi, so no one honestly wanting to do good by Russian fs would put their heads into that noose.

------------------
Some more bits from Vaitsekhovskaya’s blog (not verbatim):
The conference came up with new rules. Everyone could familiarize themselves with it [the day before the voting], but, for example, Anton Sikhuralidze didn’t deem that necessary. Or perhaps he had no time. Then he announced, “Unfortunately, we only found out about the rules this morning…”
As to Gritschuk, she came to Moscow with an advisor (though the advisor introduced herself as a “speaker”). Playing the role of this advisor was Gritschuk’s own aunt, living in Germany, who told me that Oksana had successful experience as a coach, choreographer, manager and leader, all acquired in America, and that they were therefore confident of their victory. Oksana was disqualified because according to the rules, a private individual cannot nominate themselves. Only an organization that’s part of FFKR can do this. It was said that she didn’t get a chance to finish speaking about her program. As someone removed from Russian reality, Gritschuk didn’t understand the concept of being “applauded away”. She honestly thought everyone was applauding her program. It was sad.

KKonas

Medalist
they also think that the president now will become the scape goat after Sochi, so no one honestly wanting to do good by Russian fs would put their heads into that noose.

Perhaps Gorshkov didn't have a choice? Piseev might have told him he wouldn't support him to make room for Alla to head the IDTC?