Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New President of Russian Figure Skating Federation Selected Today, Plus a Surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Oh Yikes! What can I say - they learn from the top figures - Putin could no longer remain president without changing the constitution, so he became the prime minister, with a weak Medvedev for a president.
    That is _exactly_ the parallel I first thought of.....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    But it is nice that someone reported the results of the vote - what was it, 69-1 in favor of Pisseev?

It is nice to see how much things have changed in the new Russia. In the former Soviet era the vote would have been much different, more like 70-0.

I am reminded of the song, "When Everything Old Is New Again."
    OMG, thanks so much for a good laugh!!!!

I'll translate some commentaries later, but this is just a blog entry from Elena Vaitsekhovskaya:

http://blog.sport-express.ru/users/vellena/
    Today, [I went to the elections for FFKR] in Novogorsk. Honestly, I really enjoyed myself. Why? Because I had the right approach, that’s why. So many people, by the way, left the conference room all depressed, saying, “hell, a whole day lost”…

My, though, I came to see a vaudeville. I didn’t fail to entertain me. The acting was great.

There was such a variety! There was “the lover”, who was also the “unrecognized genius”. A comic hag. The main secondary part, a gray cardinal… I would’ve given them all Oscars without a second thought! As for the director of this… I don’t even know what prize to make up for him. It was pure genius, really.
    So, what do we have at the end of the day?

President (a figurehead) Alexander Gorshkov. General director with all rights and absolute power – Valentin Piseev. If anyone is interested who’ll be nominated to replace Gorshkov as a leader of the ISU ice dancing technical committee – have no fear, it’s going to be the unparalleled master Alla Shakhovtseva. She only has one drawback – she’s Piseev’s wife.

Then again, it was only in yesteryear that it would’ve been considered bad to be a wife of the disgraced president…

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    OMG, thanks so much for a good laugh!!!!
    I am glad at least one GS member knew I was KIDDING.

I really have no opinion about who heads the Russian skating federation.

I think most GS members admire the great contributions Soviet and Russian skaters have brought to the sport we love so much.

Still, I am grateful that Evan stopped Plushy from becoming "like Dick Button" and at the same time managed to expose him for the crybaby that he is. (Kidding again )

I just watched Kulik's Nagano LP for the first time in years. How wonderful his jumps and other elements were performed. But I still wonder why he skated to Gershwin or felt the need to use any music at all?

I can hardly recall an Olympic champion who managed to ignore the music the way he did.
    He did show great technique and elegant positions - but even Evan could give him lessons when it comes to musicality and expression. He was great in his own way - but kind of like watching a cyborg skate. I suspect he could have been a great CoP skater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxLRBysvu5g

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Ptichka - Exactly.. I was going to raise this last night but couldn't wrap my head around all of it . Surely the ISU would not want to have Russians heading every major committee..wouldn't be the best PR , would it ? OOps! i notice you have a new post since i started this...I'm off to read it.

Custom Title
    Is this the same one who was OK with the exquisitely innovative "bungee chord" assisted dancing shown by D/S in Vancouver
    Yes, as head of the Ice Dance Tech Committee, he was the only one with the power to approve it on his own. Of course, now there is a new rule to disallow such "assisted lifts" after Domnina & Shabalin used it to help them win European gold and Olympic bronze, so it doesn't really matter any more.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-06-2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: fix qutoe

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Yes, as head of the Ice Dance Tech Committee, he was the only one with the power to approve it on his own. Of course, now there is a new rule to disallow such "assisted lifts" after Domnina & Shabalin used it to help them win European gold and Olympic bronze, so it doesn't really matter any more.

It might not matter to you, but others might feel differently.
    D/S on merit did not deserve their medal and to this day it is why I wouldn't mind if Ice Dancing was kicked out of the Olympics.

I like watching it enough - but rarely have a seen a so called "sport" with such a history of cheating, dirty tricks and out and out match fixing.

After Vancouver I see that the tradition is being carried on.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-06-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=janetfan;505315]

It might not matter to you, but others might feel differently.
    D/S on merit did not deserve their medal and to this day it is why I wouldn't mind if Ice Dancing was kicked out of the Olympics.

I like watching it enough - but rarely have a seen a so called "sport" with such a history of cheating, dirty tricks and out and out match fixing.

After Vancouver I see that the tradition is being carried on.
    I didn't say it didn't matter to me - it doesn't matter to Piseev or Gorshkov anymore because it served it's purpose in allowing the lift to be classified as "legal" instead of "illegal" where the Tech panel would have had to give the move a zero, which probably would have lost D/S European gold and Olympic bronze, which is probably all Gorshkov, Piseev, Linichuk and D/S cared about.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    Today there was a meeting in Russia, for the purpose of choosing a new president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, the FFKR in Russian. There were three candidates from whom to choose. One, Oksana Grishchuk ("Oxana (Pasha) Grishuk"), was disallowed as a candidate,
    Oksana Grishchuk? I was wondering what have become of her. Geez, she is not even allowed to run as a candidate? I thought she would be ideal for a figurehead role or perhaps she is too controversial for even such a position?

Custom Title
    Eville Russians vs. good N.Americans again? Oh God, I'm so tired of it...

Back to the topic: I feel that nothing really changed. Gorshkov or Piseev, it will be the same. But I believe that Russian team will be good in Sochi, 'cause we have so many talents coming up in ladies (plus Makarova and Leonova), two really strong dance teams and "dream team" in pairs, Volosozhar/Trankov.

There are some photos from the elections for FFKR at the official website, I like this one
    http://www.fsrussia.ru/gal/photo671/
    So good to see Max! And Yana is cute
    Last edited by Lucky Star; 06-06-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Custom Title
    If the ISU keeps Gorshkov as head of ISU Ice Dance Tech Committee and Alla S. becomes a member of the Dance Tech Committee, and Lakernik remains head of singles and pairs, we might as well rename the ISU, the RSU.
    What's the difference with now days situation when Lakernik is a head of singles and pairs, Gorshkov is a head of dance and Shekhovtsova is a head of judges board?

I think one has to remember that there is a difference between the Soviet people, and the Russian people.

Stalin ruled with an iron hand. It could be that Piseev (a former Soviet) learned from that experience. When someone has absolute power, it is not easy to give it up. If the present laws of the Russian Federation allowed for this, then Piseev is within his rights to amend the RF constitution unless there is provision in the constitution that requires a vote to change it. I don't know anything about the situation in the RF.

As I said, there is a difference between the people who grew up with one type of government and those who are now experiencing another type.

There certainly is a difference in Figure Skating. The Russian skaters of today struggling to medal at competitions despite being coached by former Soviet instructors are not the same as the former Soviet skaters. Remember when we discussed not so much about who will win but how many disciplines willl the Soviets get?

I have no idea what plans Piseev may have if he is interested in improving the medal situation. Maybe he doesn't care. He has a job and all those junkets to far away places are nice perks for himself and wife.

He will need a new perspective with fresh ideas. JMO.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 06-06-2010 at 05:44 AM.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Blazing Blades Commentary

Pre-Sochi politics within Russia's Figure Skating Federation: The Presidential Election Set Up!

Piseev Gets New Title - Retains Power

Jana is cute, her dress is adorable, so she was there for the election, any mention of Fedor, or when she will be leaving for Michigan I am in suspense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    Blazing Blades Commentary

Pre-Sochi politics within Russia's Figure Skating Federation: The Presidential Election Set Up!

Piseev Gets New Title - Retains Power
    In response to Vislaiakid's commentary, how will this fool the powers that be in Russian politics? If Vladimir Putin wants somebody's head after Sochi, will he pat Piseev on the back and go after that unpatriotic traitor Gorshkov instead?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast