Signature Programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Signature Programs

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Wow what a fabulous trip down memory lane! My favorite is Michelle Kwan EOE World Pro - link has already been posted. I've really enjoyed Paul Wylie, Brian Orser, Kristi and all the others. Haven't seen most of these programs in a very long time. I remember a program from Brian Orser called Ebbtide and it was wonderful. Can't find it on youtube. Does anyone have a link they can post?

i was fortunate to see Ebbtide live at the Sullivan Arena in Anchorage, AK in 1999. That whole show renewed my love for the sport. :love:

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan - Rach No. 3, Lyra Angelica
Sasha Cohen - Malaguena, Dark Eyes, Romeo and Juliet
Yuna Kim - Danse Macabre, The Lark Ascending
Mao Asada - Nocturne, Fantaisie Impromptu
Kimmie Meissner - Queen of Sheba
Kristi Yamaguchi - Blue Danube
Tara Lipinski - Little Women, Rainbow
Lu Chen - Take Five, Butterfly Lovers, Rach No. 2
Maria Butyrskaya - Scene D'Amour
Stephanie Rosenthal - Rock It

Evan Lysacek - Rhapsody in Blue
Johnny Weir - The Swan, Dr. Zhivago
Matthew Savoie - The Mission
Alexei Yagudin - Winter
Brian Boitano - Napoleon
Jeremy Abbott - A Day in the Life, Symphony No. 3
Stephane Lambiel - Four Seasons
Daisuke Takahashi - Techno Swan, Eye Tango

Sale/Pelletier - Love Story
Shen/Zhao - Turandot, Adagio
Mishkutienok/Dmitriev - Lieberstraum
Gordeeva/Grinkov - Moonlight Sonata

Davis/White - Samson et Delilah, Phantom, Indian OD
Virtue/Moir - Mahler No. 5, Flamenco OD
Torvill/Dean - Bolero

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yu-na: Gershwin, Danse Macabre, Bond (she is the Bond girl until further notice XD), Lark Ascending, Tango de Roxanne :3
Mao: Bells of Moscow, Nocturne, Claire de Lune
Michelle Kwan: Salome, East of Eden, Song of the Black Swan, Red Violin, Tosca, Lyra Angelica... and that's only the tip of the iceberg XD
Shen/Zhao: Turandot, Who Wants to Live Forever (well, it was the first program by them I watched... )

heyang

Record Breaker
A lot of good ones.

Did anyone mention Joubert's Matrix program?

I would also add Umbrellas of Cherbourg for Punsalen & Swallow

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tonichelle I am happy you got to see Brian Orser skate to Ebbtide....I saw it on tv and thought it was great.

Another skater that I've always enjoyed is Matt Savoie. He got a standing ovation in 2006 at Nationals to his program to the Mission. He just channeled the music ...brought tears to my eyes. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqY2Q2WUl8

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thoughts while reading this thread.

1. THAT'S Gary Beacom! Sakes alive, I LOVED him as a kid. He would do these funky spins and was so weirdly cool. I cheered when I clicked the youtube link and saw who it was. Mathman, you just made my day.

2. Matt Savoie's The Mission was gorgeous. The way the camera moved around during the spin with the climaxing music was practically poetry. Kudos to whoever shot that, and kudos to Mr. Savoie for skating that program so gorgeously.

3. Jeff Buttle's "Naqoyqatsi". It's not a program I can watch repeatedly because it gives me the heeby-jeebies, but the construction and skate is just stunning. The bent-legged spread eagle collapse thing sends shivers up my spine.

4. Stephane Lambiel's "Poeta." If someone could explain the physics of that final spin, that would be great.

5. Daisuke Takahashi's "Swan Lake (Hip Hop)" was electrifying. I think if I were trying to convince people that figure skating's a sport and richer than stereotypes suggest, I'd show them this performance.

6. Missing... one of the all time great programs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
2. Matt Savoie's The Mission was gorgeous. The way the camera moved around during the spin with the climaxing music was practically poetry. Kudos to whoever shot that, and kudos to Mr. Savoie for skating that program so gorgeously.

Director Doug Wilson can be thanked for some of the BEST skating photography on television. He was a genius. Skating on TV has not been the same since his retirement. Fantastic individual. Totally dedicated to showcasing the sport. I think his retirement was the real reason ESPN lost interest.

Don't forget this one:
Judy Blumberg/Michael Seibert 1984 Olympics,Scheherazade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcmLc_XSp7Y&feature=related

Their lunge sequences leave me speechless!

I have really enjoyed looking at everyone's selections -- keep 'em coming!

Thanks so much for putting up the link to this! It's a gorgeous program, and you're right about the lunge sequence. It's as good as anything people are doing nowadays.

Edit: I just went back and watched Mao's "So Deep the Night." A gorgeous piece. Her expressiveness, both of face and of movement, is so engaging. I think that's also my favorite costume of hers--a beautiful, intense color, simple lines, perfectly suited to the music. That and "Por Una Cabeza" are probably my two favorite pieces of hers. I know they're both exhibition numbers, but they also tell us a lot about her skating skills. She's not phoning it in here. I agree with you, SkateSkates, that I could watch this again and again!

Last edited:
I seem to recall that they were just edged out for a medal. I think it was Torvill and Dean for gold, Bestemianova and Bukhin for silver, and Klimova and Ponomarenko for bronze.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thoughts while reading this thread.

1. THAT'S Gary Beacom! Sakes alive, I LOVED him as a kid. He would do these funky spins and was so weirdly cool. I cheered when I clicked the youtube link and saw who it was. Mathman, you just made my day.

3. Jeff Buttle's "Naqoyqatsi". It's not a program I can watch repeatedly because it gives me the heeby-jeebies, but the construction and skate is just stunning. The bent-legged spread eagle collapse thing sends shivers up my spine.

4. Stephane Lambiel's "Poeta." If someone could explain the physics of that final spin, that would be great.

5. Daisuke Takahashi's "Swan Lake (Hip Hop)" was electrifying. I think if I were trying to convince people that figure skating's a sport and richer than stereotypes suggest, I'd show them this performance.

6. Missing... one of the all time great programs.

Thank you for posting that brilliant performance that I had never seen before. What original choreography! David Wilson, of course. The best!

(Great reaction from Joannie Rochette at the end of that clip, too. :) )

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Matrix is absolutely right for Joubert!

Oddly, I always think of P&S's Race Cars Fd which they skated at their first worlds, and their Tango FD which they skated at their last one. I have totally forgotten what their version of UoC looked like.
Race Cars (this is a hoot of a program) They line up for the start, pass and repass each other, have pit stops, and a final crash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og2Ngb-FJjk
Their final (last ;) ) tango program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqvN2SSZgHo

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Blumberg/Seibert were at least vindicated at Worlds that year and won bronze; too bad they didn't win an Olympic medal that year though.

and to think he did those lunge sequences with a groin injury!