Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What PROGRAM made you a fan of figure skating?

Custom Title
    I can't say one particular program hooked me in, but Kristi's dress and spins got me watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Yeah, no one ever accused him of over choreographing his programs....

(disclosure: I really liked his oly SP and 2003 LP)
    ok i just spit water all over my desk.

his most beautiful program imho was his 2005 us nationals short program. Still sends shivers all over. A glimpse of what couldve been.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Yeah, no one ever accused him of over choreographing his programs....

(disclosure: I really liked his oly SP and 2003 LP)
    I LOVE those programs!!!!!

The 1st skating I can remember watching is Scott Hamilton 1984 Olympics due to the hype - however, I didn't understand why he won LOL. Surprisingly, Torvill & Dean's Bolero captured me enough so that I continued to watch skating, even though they 'retired'.

Then G&G made me a fan if pairs. Also watched the Zayak vs Sumners years for the US ladies title. Battle of the Brians made a fan of men's skating. Kristi was probably the 1st lady that I was really a fan of, although I enjoyed watching Zayak vs Sumners, prefereed Caryn Kadavy over Trenary, etc.

Rogue Leader
    I liked skating before I really knew any skaters or programs. What kick-started my love for the sport in childhood was Calgary in 1988, specifically both Brian LPs and Elizabeth Manley's LP.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I dont remember the first program I ever saw that made me an fs fan but I remember the last one that made me almost a non fan
    First big competition I sat and saw was 1998 worlds and the first I actually knew what I was looking at was Euros 1999 but if I squeeze my mind this is the first program that comes in mind from Olys 1998 without knowning who they were, and I have also an abstract memory of Kulik and Grishuk/Platov
    but cant recall anything else than the impression I got for her hair. Which is funny that first programs to catch my attention were ice dance that I dont have a big interest anyway. I also have flashes of Grishuk/Platov doing an ex or program(also cause of hair) that she wore something like a circus dress cause I remember assuming this was circus show but I dont know from when is this or if it was them.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I became a figure skating fan just because I studied ballet growing up so predictably figure skating was my favorite sport to watch at the Olympics.

It took a long time before I truly started paying attention to figure skating in between Olympics.

I do remember the run-up to the 1994 games (duh) and the run up to the 1998 games. I remember reading a lot about the Michelle Kwan-Tara Lipinski rivalry and remember reading a Washington Post story about how Tara fell at nationals and Michelle won her title back. (I didn't watch nationals.) That article said something about how Michelle had been the superior skater all along despite her rough 1997 season. I didn't know nearly enough about skating to know who was superior to whom. But I remember thinking, Tara's going to win the Olympics. I really did. I just had this feeling, reading about Tara and learning her story, that she was going to pull it out at the Olympics and win no matter what. I wasn't surprised at all that she won but I also wasn't in tune with all the insidery predictions back then.

From there, it really progressed. I think I started getting more into figure skating watching Michelle AFTER the 2002 games. She just kept winning all these national titles and breaking records and I started really following her career and her skating. Michelle is the one who made pay attention to nationals and worlds.

But there IS one program that finally got me completely hooked. And it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3iW...eature=related

I had never seen anything so beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. It was pretty much all over for me after that.

Mao Asada "The Last Emperor". I first became interested in this girl because I am also born in September 1990, and I heard this kid was a phenom, so I watched her performance at the JGPF and was hooked. Then I realized Yuna was also born in September 1990 and became a fan of her (at 2004 JGPF she wasn't nearly as good as Mao, but in the next year she improved so much). It's funny too because I've always been the same height as those two as well, since they were like 13, so it's kinda fun to watch them grow up.
    Okay. You are making me feel old, Silverlake. Born in the 1990s...

Tara and Michelle are more my generation.
    Last edited by Layfan; 06-09-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Custom Title
    Born in the 1990's here too XD

Anyways, for me it started with Michelle in 2002. As an artist, I've always had had an affinity, an attraction to sports with some artistic elements in it (i.e. gymnastics, figure skating, etc). So naturally, I was drawn to figure skating. At the time though, when I watched MK, my first reaction was "hey she's Chinese too!" XD As shallow a reason as that was, MK was the reason I got into figure skating; her skating was just beautiful and stunning and just heart stopping But after a while... as a kid with a short attention span and school eating up her time, I lost interest and moved onto other things (art, ANIME XD, etc).

Come 2009, February. And Yu-na. As a Kpop fan, I saw her name quite a few times in news article and one day, out of sheer curiosity, looked her up on YT. And suddenly, I was hooked. And once more, I fell for figure skating, but this time, a bit older and with a *hopefully* longer attention span, it griped me like nothing else. From Yu-na, I expanded my watchlist to other skaters and as such, am still catching up on old classics (i.e. Kristi Yamaguchi, John Curry, Kurt Browning, Katarina Witt, etc). And it's been that way since Feb. :3

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    Born in the 1990's here too XD

Anyways, for me it started with Michelle in 2002. As an artist, I've always had had an affinity, an attraction to sports with some artistic elements in it (i.e. gymnastics, figure skating, etc). So naturally, I was drawn to figure skating. At the time though, when I watched MK, my first reaction was "hey she's Chinese too!" XD As shallow a reason as that was, MK was the reason I got into figure skating; her skating was just beautiful and stunning and just heart stopping But after a while... as a kid with a short attention span and school eating up her time, I lost interest and moved onto other things (art, ANIME XD, etc).

Come 2009, February. And Yu-na. As a Kpop fan, I saw her name quite a few times in news article and one day, out of sheer curiosity, looked her up on YT. And suddenly, I was hooked. And once more, I fell for figure skating, but this time, a bit older and with a *hopefully* longer attention span, it griped me like nothing else. From Yu-na, I expanded my watchlist to other skaters and as such, am still catching up on old classics (i.e. Kristi Yamaguchi, John Curry, Kurt Browning, Katarina Witt, etc). And it's been that way since Feb. :3

Yeah, that's pretty much how it worked for me, too. Once I was an adult I started paying attention more. (Only for me that well pre-dated the rise of Yuna. )

But if you had asked me in high school/college to name a few figure skaters I probably would have said Kristi, Nancy, Tonya, Oksana, Tara, and Michelle. And for the oldies I probably would have been able to name Katarina, Dorothy, and Scott Hamilton (thanks to his professional career.) Oh yeah, and Nicole Bobek because of that Campbell's soup commercial, which you are probably too young to remember
    Last edited by Layfan; 06-09-2010 at 10:26 PM.

My story mirrors Lilith and Layfan's. I started with Kristi Yamaguchi and Midori Ito, when they competed together...and Olympia's post in the "Signature Programs" thread reminded me of Kurt Browning's Singin' in the Rain which was another early hit in my childhood. Then I got interested in other things for a while--casually watching the Olympics now and then--until I experienced a renaissance when YuNa came around (Roxanne.)

Custom Title
    I think YuNa and Mao brought about a skating renaissance for a lot of people. After Turin, many dominant female skaters stepped out of the spotlight. It happened that pairs also seemed to enter a holding pattern at the time. By coincidence, neither the U.S. nor Russia had any truly gifted ladies to take the place of those leaving. The thing is that YuNa and Mao aren't just good: they're great. If you hadn't watched skating before and weren't aware of these ladies' place in the field of competitors, you'd still be impressed by their performances and abilities. So they would bring a lot of people into skating, or back into skating. We were lucky that both of them showed up and hit their peak just now, when skating was kind of drifting in some ways, especially with all the confusion about CoP. Imagine how lucky we are to have people who can jump well enough (in different ways) to rack up points and yet can express artistry! In a way, YuNa and Mao validate the CoP system itself. If the only people who could keep up were technicians like Rachael, things would be very different.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think YuNa and Mao brought about a skating renaissance for a lot of people. After Turin, many dominant female skaters stepped out of the spotlight. It happened that pairs also seemed to enter a holding pattern at the time. By coincidence, neither the U.S. nor Russia had any truly gifted ladies to take the place of those leaving. The thing is that YuNa and Mao aren't just good: they're great. If you hadn't watched skating before and weren't aware of these ladies' place in the field of competitors, you'd still be impressed by their performances and abilities. So they would bring a lot of people into skating, or back into skating. We were lucky that both of them showed up and hit their peak just now, when skating was kind of drifting in some ways, especially with all the confusion about CoP. Imagine how lucky we are to have people who can jump well enough (in different ways) to rack up points and yet can express artistry! In a way, YuNa and Mao validate the CoP system itself. If the only people who could keep up were technicians like Rachael, things would be very different.
    ITA No matter which girl you prefer, there's no doubting the fact that these two skaters have vitalized the sport in their own way, in their melding of artistry and athletiscm on ice :3 When I first watched Yu-na, I didn't understand the difference between a triple lutz and toe (and I still don't >.<), but there was no doubt in my mind that "wow, that's an amazing jump" or how artistically compelling she was. I just re-watched her gala at the Olympics to Meditation and that ina bauer just takes my breath away And Mao, Mao, Mao... her extensions, the positions she hits Absolutely gorgeous! I love how she moves across the ice, how she seems to be completely home on it and just dances gracefully across it. :3

Lols layfan; in a lot of ways, I envy that you discovered FS earlier on, while it was under 6.0 For one, I have a feeling I missed a lot of amazing/great skating; I only followed the Kween for a year or two O.o And erm... who was Nicole Bobek lols? I feel very un-edcuated now >.<

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Nicole Bobek skates to Dr. Zhivago at 1995 US Nationals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be1ERAMEsPc

Nicole's SP at 1995 Worlds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNg6X...eature=related

I got hooked on G & G, especially their Moonlight Sonata program. After he died, I couldn't watch pairs for a while. Sasha got me interested in watching ladies -- but now that I skate, I am becoming sorry I wasn't more of a Michelle-watcher, since her edges are to die for! (I've been watching her programs to catch up on that). Current skaters like Mao and Mirai are my faves. (I can't resist a gorgeous spiral, sorry, Yu-na doesn't have one.)

As for men, I enjoyed Alexei a lot...then became interested in Johnny's artistry (I am a ballet person too). Also a big Daisuke fan.

These threads are too much fun -- really helps hold the interest in the off-season!

Rinkside
    Torvill and Dean skating Mack and Mabel in 1982 - I had never seen anything like it, I was swept away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast