Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What PROGRAM made you a fan of figure skating?

Custom Title
    Also, I don't remember the specific program, and it wasn't what made me a fan, but I remember watching this guy on TV about the time I first started to skate. Probably in 1971, when he won, before I started, but the fact that I remember him specifically may indicate that I was partly inspired to try it myself by watching him.

I think we didn't tune in for the ladies competition, so I didn't learn about Janet Lynn until after the fact.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hklboro View Post
    Torvill and Dean skating Mack and Mabel in 1982 - I had never seen anything like it, I was swept away.
    For those who have never seen it, here's T&D's Mack & Mabel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXz39WYD2s

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Also, I don't remember the specific program, and it wasn't what made me a fan, but I remember watching this guy on TV about the time I first started to skate. Probably in 1971, when he won, before I started, but the fact that I remember him specifically may indicate that I was partly inspired to try it myself by watching him.

I think we didn't tune in for the ladies competition, so I didn't learn about Janet Lynn until after the fact.
    Misha was a family favorite -along with Janet - when I was growing up. What fond memories I have of him - and although he didn't always win, I think for a time he was the most exciting skater in the world.

I would like to add (without incurring the wrath of Toni for jumping topics ) that my memories - back in the day - were not about a "signature program" but possibly about a "style" or perhaps a "signature move."

Here is Sports Illustrated's cover for Laurence Owen after she won US Natls back in 1961:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7704/index.htm

Note the caption says " America's most exciting girl skater." Laurie was that and more.......

In her era Peggy was simply more elegant than the other Ladies. The music or program didn't matter so much.

I wonder if Janet's "Afternoon of a Faun" is possibly the first signature program from a singles skater?

Thinking back to Dorothy we remember the "Hamill Camel" as her signature move. Her programs were more like a "mishmash" of music and typical of her era.

Even into the early 80's I think of Scott's footwork or Brian Orser's triple axle as signature moves as opposed to signature programs. Or the 'Tano Lutz.

Does Midori have a signature program - or was it her incredible jumps that made her standout?
    I think in the late 80's skaters like Katerina, the Duchesnays and others began to show us the concept of a program as a statement and in the 90's is when we saw this concept blossom.

I am thinking more about singles - and it is possible Pairs or Dance teams showed signature programs earlier. Certainly T/D's Bolero must be considered not only a signature program but also "iconic."
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-10-2010 at 03:15 PM.

T&D had the signature program down from Mack and Mabel, 1982. Coincidentally, we were talking about it a couple posts upthread. They continued with Barnum and then Bolero. By 1984, other teams were doing programs with themes, including Charlie Chaplin by Slater and Barber (1984), Carmen by Bestemianova & Bukin--by 1988, pretty much half the programs were themed, especially in the top 10. Duchesnays were a late addition to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    T&D had the signature program down from Mack and Mabel, 1982. Coincidentally, we were talking about it a couple posts upthread. They continued with Barnum and then Bolero. By 1984, other teams were doing programs with themes, including Charlie Chaplin by Slater and Barber (1984), Carmen by Bestemianova & Bukin--by 1988, pretty much half the programs were themed, especially in the top 10. Duchesnays were a late addition to the party.
    The Duchesnays were "late addition to the party"
    I doubt that as their innovative programs changed the possibilties for Ice Dancing.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    The Duchesnays were "late addition to the party"
    I doubt that as their innovative programs changed Ice Dancing.
    Well, I think Torvill and Dean really started the tradition of programs with unified themes (with a few precursors such as John Curry and Wighton and Dowding's Swan Lake free dance), and the Duchesnays (choreographed by Dean) took that direction even further.

But then the rules changed and ice dance retreated from that direction for a while, even as freestyle programs became more thematic. So one might even argue that the Duchesnays were responsible for changing it back to ballroom medleys again, in reaction their taking ice dance in a direction the ISU didn't want it to go.

Well, I think Torvill and Dean really started the tradition of programs with unified themes (with a few precursors such as John Curry and Wighton and Dowding's Swan Lake free dance), and the Duchesnays (choreographed by Dean) took that direction even further.

But then the rules changed and ice dance retreated from that direction for a while, even as freestyle programs became more thematic. So one might even argue that the Duchesnays were responsible for changing it back to ballroom medleys again, in reaction their taking ice dance in a direction the ISU didn't want it to go.
    Good points - and when I reference the Duchesnays I realize it is also the choreo of Chris Dean that comes into play.

It always took the Euros and their stodgie ways a full Olympic cycle - or more- to realize they were no longer leading the sport. It was unfortunate how they crippled the Dance and older fans remember how the Duchesnays were literally cruified for being different. The fact that were not "a man and a woman in love" - the only style the Russians ever knew - was unacceptable to the Eastern bloc judges.

The irony is that the "primitive" program the Duchesnays were so chastised over 20 years ago was good enough in a second rate imitation skated by D/S in Vancouver to help secure an Olympic Bronze medal. (boo, boo,)

Ice skating will never be a "sport" until it cleans up it's act. I seriously doubt it

"Savage Rites" by the Duchesnays - watch the original and see how much better it is than D/s's "Aborriginal Nightmare."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKawuklMDc
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-11-2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: insulting large groups of people removed

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    It always took the Euros and their stodgie ways a full Olympic cycle - or more- to realize they were no longer leading the sport. It was unfortunate how they crippled the Dance and older fans remember how the Duchesnays were literally cruified for being different. The fact that were not "a man and a woman in love" - the only style the Russians ever knew - was unacceptable to the Eastern bloc judges.

The irony is that the "primitive" program the Duchesnays were so chastised over 20 years ago was good enough in a second rate imitation skated by D/S in Vancouver to help secure an Olympic Bronze medal. (boo, boo,)

Ice skating will never be a "sport" until it cleans up it's act. I seriously doubt it

"Savage Rites" by the Duchesnays - watch the original and see how much better it is than D/s's "Aborriginal Nightmare."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKawuklMDc

Was this winning performance inspired by Savage Rites? Probably not possible without its existence.

Sorry, I can't find video or even photos of Diane Gerencser and Pasquale Camerlengo's 1998 free dance on a similar theme.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-11-2010 at 06:08 AM.

OK, we're getting way off topic now, but do you really mean "Euros" in the above? After all, Britain and France are part of Europe.

Was this winning performance inspired by Savage Rites? Probably not possible without its existence.

Sorry, I can't find video or even photos of Diane Gerencser and Pasquale Camerlengo's 1998 free dance on a similar theme.
    Please note my reply by PM.

Custom Title
    Back to the topic.

In my case, Jeremy Abbott's LP at 2010 Nat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9SmMh9t-_s
    Don't know how many times I watched this program. I just feel like I am floating with this.

Actually, I have been interested in FS for a long time but could not consider myself a fan.
    If it had not been for this, I would never have dreamed of participating in GS.

Anyway, I liked his skating when I saw him skate for the first time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_BcQoCL6Y (GPF 2008)

As for Yuna, she is my favorite female skater. I consider myself her fan too, a new fan. To behonest, the more I know about her, the more I admire her.
    I confess I did not give too much attention to Yuna in 2007 so did not know there was a program like this.(I am ashamed of that)
    This is a gala program I really enjoy which I often watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vOzvZrbr6A
    Is this commentator Cousins? His last comment was so prophetic!
    Last edited by sunny0760; 06-11-2010 at 11:39 AM.

sunny0706,
    The link for what I presume is Abbott's GPF program is not working. Is this the one you meant?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_Bc...eature=related

Custom Title
    Thank you doris! The vid you linked is better quality.
    I edited my post because it's another vid which a fan took from a distance.

SP at GPF 2008 (this vid is great!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOwIsEusJQ

I had always like figure skating as a little girl, but I saw Bolero at the '84 Olympics when I was 12, and that started the obsession.

Custom Title
    I had always been interested in watching FS but the 1st program that hooked me was Michelle's 1994 East of Eden performance at Worlds. ((And IIRC, Kurt called her "kinda sexy"!!!))
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwax0id60E

The 1st program that made me a hard core Michelle Fanatic was definitely Salome, starting at SA that season.

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    I had always been interested in watching FS but the 1st program that hooked me was Michelle's 1994 East of Eden performance at Worlds. ((And IIRC, Kurt called her "kinda sexy"!!!))
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwax0id60E

The 1st program that made me a hard core Michelle Fanatic was definitely Salome, starting at SA that season.
    Yes Kurt did, and NBC was so appauled that he would make such a comment about a young teen that they never asked him to commentate for them again. Their loss (USA's loss, too).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast