2010-2011 Programs by Discipline | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2010-2011 Programs by Discipline

Final Flight
Re: 2010-2011 Season Programs! All Disciplines

I am scratching my head here, are you sure that is the music they will skate to?
In PJ Kwong's article the artist mentioned is Joshua Hall and not Joshua Bell?

i tried looking for that article. couldn't. tried looking up joshua hall.....only got an old high school classmate. i think it's BELL.

herios

Medalist
Last edited:

yqs100

On the Ice

Dan Zhang/ Hao Zhang

SP: Tango De Los Exilados - Vanessa Mae By Lori Nichol
LP: Spartacus By Lori Nichol
:)

cornell08

Final Flight

I love these for the Zhangs. Lets hope they can start to really feel the music...finally...

HCOSurfer

Final Flight

Dan Zhang/ Hao Zhang

SP: Tango De Los Exilados - Vanessa Mae By Lori Nichol
LP: Spartacus By Lori Nichol
This season just keeps on getting more and more unoriginal :sheesh:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Min-Jung Kwak:

SP: Canon by Johann Pachelbel
LP: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini by Sergei Rachmaninoff

:eek:hwell:

They will be coreographed by David Wilson.

Mr. Wilson seems to be going the overused music route with most of his sisters this season. I wonder what Yu-na will skate to now. Maybe he just is spending so much time and emery on her that he isn't being as creative with his other skaters?

miki88

Medalist

Mr. Wilson seems to be going the overused music route with most of his sisters this season. I wonder what Yu-na will skate to now. Maybe he just is spending so much time and emery on her that he isn't being as creative with his other skaters?

Wilson hasn't been that creative (save Danse Macabre) since 2006-2007 season. :p

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Well, he gave Yuna Scherezade and Miss Saigon so I don't know if he's been all that original in awhile, save Bond Girl and Gao's programs from last season. That being said I'm excited for Pachelebel for Min-Jung, that piece actually hasn't been overused and it's such a nice piece of music. Paginini is kind of boring though

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Brandon Mroz has On the Waterfront for an LP and Barber of Seville for his SP

R.D.

Record Breaker

You know, for all this fuss about "originality" and "overused music"- I figure there MUST be a reason pieces get used over and over again. Does it have to do with the judges? Time and effort? If someone truly picks something that has never been done before, how will it be received by them? The audience? Do skaters want to "stay on the safe side"?

I'm not so sure here. I get the feeling that fans still would be complaining if there were some "different" music choices because "it doesn't suit that skater" or something. Someone shed some light on this please...

gmyers

Record Breaker

Brandon Mroz has On the Waterfront for an LP and Barber of Seville for his SP

Hope these work out for him. Last season he was all over the place! Was it the choreographic demands of the music he chose?

You know, for all this fuss about "originality" and "overused music"- I figure there MUST be a reason pieces get used over and over again. Does it have to do with the judges? Time and effort? If someone truly picks something that has never been done before, how will it be received by them? The audience? Do skaters want to "stay on the safe side"?

I'm not so sure here. I get the feeling that fans still would be complaining if there were some "different" music choices because "it doesn't suit that skater" or something. Someone shed some light on this please...

I heard Preaubert's ROlling Stone program be called more of an exhibition number, same thing for Adrian Schultheiss and his music. It's like only classical sounding music is competition music and pop music is for exhibitions. Everyone does Carmen and Firebird and others because its become like official competition music that because it has been heard so much it is also a way to show originality within music that is used all the time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Some skating fans think 'entertaining' is an insult. I would not be one of those people :)

hurrah

Medalist

Doesn't it have something to do with the figure skating community wanting skaters to make program choices that legitimate figure skating as sports and yet can stake claims to artistry?

If a skater chooses music that is simply 'entertaining'---i.e., entertainment programs---then that choice degrades figure skating as sports and simultaneously cannot be seen to make any claims to figure skating being on par with 'high' artistic forms such as ballet.

So the community wants programs that doesn't threaten figure skating's stature as an athletic form and simultaneously lends credence to it as an original art form.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Skaters/choreographers go with the safe (recycled) choice musically because it's easier to mimic someone else's program/choreography (even if it's kind of different than other takes on it) than to forge a different path from other skaters by going "out there" musically to something no one's done before. That's what made Michelle Kwan's collaboration with Lori Nichol so special - Lori picked music appropriate to Michelle's style but DIFFERENT than everyone else (Romanza, Lyra, Solome...). It was attention grabbing because it was different, but Michelle really felt every part of those programs. If she went through the motions and still landed all her jumps, those programs would have fallen flat.

herios

Medalist

Some skating fans think 'entertaining' is an insult. I would not be one of those people :)

I completely agree with you. What is wrong with finding "unusual" music and make them work? Nothing at all.

Was Taka Kozuka "punished' for skating to Jimi Hendrix in competition? Not at all. The judges LOVED IT, when he skated it well (Turin).
This year he is experimenting again in his LP. Good for him. And because I know how highly Kurt Browning talks about him, I know that program will be great. I cannot wait to see it.

hurrah

Medalist

I completely agree with you. What is wrong with finding "unusual" music and make them work? Nothing at all.

Was Taka Kozuka "punished' for skating to Jimi Hendrix in competition? Not at all. The judges LOVED IT, when he skated it well (Turin).
This year he is experimenting again in his LP. Good for him. And because I know how highly Kurt Browning talks about him, I know that program will be great. I cannot wait to see it.

I don't think it hardly matters under CoP judging criteria whether a piece is 'entertaining' or 'artistic'. I think the original query was why was it that 'overused' music is used despite the fact that alot of posters (who may or may not be judges, most who are just fans of figure skating) complain.

In any case, I would venture to disagree with seeing Jimi Hendrix as an entertainer. He will surely be remembered as an artist.

I personally tend to think that at least for last season, Daisuke's La Strada epitomizes figure skating at its best. He fell, of course, but he attempted a quad, and the musicality and intricate step sequence, the whole thing, in fact, was not only artistic but athletic. I notice that there seems to be more tango-like (Latin) choices this season than the norm, and I credit that to Daisuke's influence.

Last edited:

Tanja90

On the Ice

Apparently Carolina Kostner's short will be a Flamenco...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Apparently Carolina Kostner's short will be a Flamenco...

I usually don't like the way she interprets music, but her tango was good. I am rooting for her this year after seeing her emotional skate in Torino.