2010-2011 Programs by Discipline | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2010-2011 Programs by Discipline

herios

Medalist
Re: 2010-2011 Season Programs! All Disciplines

I don't think it hardly matters under CoP judging criteria whether a piece is 'entertaining' or 'artistic'. I think the original query was why was it that 'overused' music is used despite the fact that alot of posters (who may or may not be judges, most who are just fans of figure skating) complain.

In any case, I would venture to disagree with seeing Jimi Hendrix as an entertainer. He will surely be remembered as an artist.

I personally tend to think that at least for last season, Daisuke's La Strada epitomizes figure skating at its best. He fell, of course, but he attempted a quad, and the musicality and intricate step sequence, the whole thing, in fact, was not only artistic but athletic. I notice that there seems to be more tango-like (Latin) choices this season than the norm, and I credit that to Daisuke's influence.

Well, you have misunderstood my message. I do not dissociate the artistic completely of the "entertaining", because a good artist should be "entertaining". Which i considered that piece of music and choreography to be.
The discussion should be about "overused" music or "original", and not about "entertaining", or "artistic".
A program choreographed to a "Tosca", will not be autimatically artistic, because is a classical piece, If the choreo will be losy, that piece will fall short of both artistic, or entertaining.

mot

On the Ice

You know, for all this fuss about "originality" and "overused music"- I figure there MUST be a reason pieces get used over and over again. Does it have to do with the judges? Time and effort? If someone truly picks something that has never been done before, how will it be received by them? The audience? Do skaters want to "stay on the safe side"?

I'm not so sure here. I get the feeling that fans still would be complaining if there were some "different" music choices because "it doesn't suit that skater" or something. Someone shed some light on this please...

Last season, Daisuke Takahashi skated his SP to a piece of music almost completely unknown outside Japan and never used in figure skating, and achieved the third highest score in the history of CoP (if I remember correctly) at the Olympics. It was, as far as I could see, well received by the audience, commentators, and figure skating fans all alike. So if the piece is choreographed and skated well, then choosing an unknown piece of music should not disadvantage the skater. But I can also imagine it may take a bit of guts and require some confidence, in his / her own ability as a skater and as a performer, to do so.

I notice that there seems to be more tango-like (Latin) choices this season than the norm, and I credit that to Daisuke's influence.

Although I do agree with your opinion of Daisuke's La Strade (and I simply LOVED the programme!), it may be far-fetching to credit him for the popularity of tango and other 'Latin' music this season - I thought there were enough 'Latin' pieces last season already! (Plushenko & Chan's tango and Denis Ten's pasodobles to name a few...)

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Ming-jung Kwak's SP conon in D major.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzsb187hI7g

I actually think this program has potential. I know she fell on the lutz but her jumps in general look better, in the replay the salchow showed it to be fully rotated and her landing edge on the 3s and 2a in both programs looked a lot stronger than before. Her spins and flexibility are lovely and her speed is getting better. Plus I'm sure her good looks, long lines, and slim physique won't hurt her in terms of scoring and may even help her get a pretty bonus :p. She is very elegant and this style of music works well for her, I think. Plus the costume was gorgeous. She seems to be progressing nicely.

LeCygne

Final Flight

She is indeed very pretty. The look is great, love the hair and the sparkly white dress. I think the program could work for her with more speed and flow. Think Mao's Nocturne... Her jumps look okay but it's hard to tell here. I think she could use a bit more extension and arch in the back for the layback, but the Biellman is lovely.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

So what do people think about Abbott's new SP? I really like it a lot, but it surely is very different from anything he's done before. I think it could be great with a little more polish and time to develop more emotion to the music.

LeCygne

Final Flight

So what do people think about Abbott's new SP? I really like it a lot, but it surely is very different from anything he's done before. I think it could be great with a little more polish and time to develop more emotion to the music.

I like that he's really pushing himself. He's said many times on Twitter that it has been tough getting used to the movements and everything, and you can kind of see that in this performance. There is an awful lot going on with the arms right now, but I'm sure it will become more natural with time. Jeremy is a tremendous artist, and I'm sure he can make it work. I have a feeling this tango is one that will stand out from the millions of others this season.

Juli®

Rinkside

I agree. I love Abbott new SP. It seemed to me i was seeing Bjou on ice! High scores up coming! :)

herios

Medalist

I loved it. He needed a good vehicle this year and he got it. Hopefully his LP will be as strong.

berrycute

On the Ice

The word on the street is that Caro Kostner's SP will be a flamenco of some discription...

Canastatango

Rinkside

I like that he's really pushing himself. He's said many times on Twitter that it has been tough getting used to the movements and everything, and you can kind of see that in this performance. There is an awful lot going on with the arms right now, but I'm sure it will become more natural with time. Jeremy is a tremendous artist, and I'm sure he can make it work. I have a feeling this tango is one that will stand out from the millions of others this season.
I agree with you that he is one of the most artistic male skaters. I am very sure he will be able to perfect his new program as season goes. I just can not wait.

chloepoco

Medalist

I enjoyed it, and although there were some parts where he didn't look terribly comfortable, I'm sure that'll change with each performance.

LeCygne

Final Flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qldotckIovU

Gorgeous to say the least! she's a lot different from last year :eek: Excited for her competitive season!

I love it! She looks so much more mature. Mendelssohn is probably my favorite classical piece of all time (I'm playing right now) and I was a bit concerned as to how they would cut a 12 minute concerto down to a 2:50 short program, but I have to say the editing is pretty seamless here.

She did look a bit slow here, but I'm sure her speed will come back as she gets more comfortable with the program. Her jumps look fine from this video (I'm sure the LP will be more telling) but her double axel is much improved! Her spins definitely still need work (not sure about that first one with the Rachael Flatt catchfoot) but they seemed to get better as the season went on last year. Overall she looks great for so early in the season, can't wait for the JGP to start!

R.D.

Record Breaker

she looks...different. she must have grown quite a bit...

LeCygne

Final Flight

I've been watching Min-Jung Kwak's programs from 4CC last season, and she and Christina Gao are very similar... Barring injury/other unforeseen circumstances, I could definitely see a rivalry between these two as they progress. Same age, same height (relatively), same coach, both extremely like Yu-Na. Christina has the edge in jumps so far, but Min-Jung has better spins and flexibility. Skating skills-wise, they're about equal. The big difference is that skating for Korea, Min-Jung has had a good deal more international experience than Christina: 3 years on the JGP plus 4CC, Olympics, and Worlds last season. It'll be interesting to see how they develop. Brian Orser sure has his hands full.

miki88

Medalist

I've been watching Min-Jung Kwak's programs from 4CC last season, and she and Christina Gao are very similar... Barring injury/other unforeseen circumstances, I could definitely see a rivalry between these two as they progress. Same age, same height (relatively), same coach, both extremely like Yu-Na. Christina has the edge in jumps so far, but Min-Jung has better spins and flexibility. Skating skills-wise, they're about equal. The big difference is that skating for Korea, Min-Jung has had a good deal more international experience than Christina: 3 years on the JGP plus 4CC, Olympics, and Worlds last season. It'll be interesting to see how they develop. Brian Orser sure has his hands full.

I see more potential in Christina. Min-Jung has wonderful positions, but unfortunately flexibility doesn't count that much in FS. Christina has the edge in jumps, ice coverage, and speed. She's also improving on a much faster pace than MJ, who had more experience on the big stage.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I see more potential in Christina. Min-Jung has wonderful positions, but unfortunately flexibility doesn't count that much in FS. Christina has the edge in jumps, ice coverage, and speed. She's also improving on a much faster pace than MJ, who had more experience on the big stage.

Christina has also been working with Orser for longer though, last year was her first year training with him and she improved so much. At 2009 nationals, she had a lot of potential and lovely jumps but she fell a lot on her jumps, skated slowly with pretty weak basics, and was quite gawky and awkward. Going to Orser helped Christina improve immensely over the course of last season, so potentially the same thing could happen to Min-Jung this season. I know last season Min-Jung didn't even have a coach and yet she still did pretty well for herself.

I'd say Christina is still heavy edge for now just because of her wonderful jummping ability, but I actually find Min-Jung more pleasant to watch at this poitn because of her gracefulness. I guess what it really comes down to is can Christina become more graceful and can Min-Jung learn to jump bigger, and then both need work on SS obviously.

herios

Medalist

I enjoyed it, and although there were some parts where he didn't look terribly comfortable, I'm sure that'll change with each performance.

In Jeremy's SP choreography there are lots of details in the handwork which are difficult and challenging, to say the least. He needs time to get used to that and polsih the moves to look sharp and comfortable at the same time. The judges will reward him for sure, as I saw all of Najarro's programs thus far were well received by them, especially for their authenticity. Check out here the same dance put on the dance floor by Najarro's ensemble, how it looks in comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4yLTkaK4g&translated=1