2010-2011 Programs by Discipline | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2010-2011 Programs by Discipline

berrycute

On the Ice
A Japanese paper has announced Mao Asada's programs for next year:

SP Tango by Alfred Schnittke
LP Liebesträume by Franz Liszt

I dunno, I suppose it's giving the masses what they want, but I want to see her develop a bit more range. Does she have to perform to gentle flowing paino music EVERY year, least her fans rise up in protest like they did when she was a bit more adventurous last year? Hmm, I seem to be among the distinct minority that liked The Bells of Moscow, but I think Mao should really avoid being typecast! Then again, perhaps the SP will be different and extend her artistically. I listened to the piece, can't say I'm a fan right away, but a lot will depend on how the music is cut.

Also, re: the exhibition music, honestly, MORE Chopin??? Isn't this like the fourth time she has chosen Chopin music? Honey, it's time to move on! Who wants to be a one trick pony?

R.D.

Record Breaker
This sounds a little bit too much like Pirates for me. It is nice music for [Mirai], but I wanted to see her doing something diffrent [sic], more mature. She is a International medal contendor [sic], not a junior turned senior. Still, I am excited to see it and hope she proves me wrong like she did with Pirates.

err.... :biggrin:

http://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu/status/16736205367 :eek:

I have to admit, I saw that comment and I had to come to this thread to find out for myself :unsure: :p

Still, one chooses to read these forums at one's own risk...JMHO

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
err.... :biggrin:

http://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu/status/16736205367 :eek:

I have to admit, I saw that comment and I had to come to this thread to find out for myself :unsure: :p

Still, one chooses to read these forums at one's own risk...JMHO

Wow, not the impression I wanted to give Mirai! I love her and hope that she realizes I only want the best for her. I think we have have to be a little caref now of what we say on this forum! Skaters are lurking!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I always suspected skaters read these forums, but this is the first proof I ever recall reading.
Now if we could ever verify that any of them POST. :)

The first "proof" I came across was when Jenny Kirk wrote in her blog that she was a lurker at FSU. I don't remember her mentioning GS but it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume she's been here, too. I think she also pointed out that other skaters sneak a peak at the boards, but didn't mention any names.

Nagasu also said earlier in some interview that she knew what people were saying about her at the forums around Olys time, that they were counting her out (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Mirai ;) )

don't know about others though. Maybe most of the "insiders" that lurk or post here tend to be relatives or coaches.

I think we have have to be a little caref[ul] now of what we say on this forum! Skaters are lurking!

I think that's been the case from day one. I still stand by what I said earlier: proceed at your own risk...unlike a fan forum there's significant latitude on the general sites.

Last edited:
This is hilarious. "Goldenskate lady"! Can we make a T-shirt?

Now, Mirai, don't be getting yourself into a snit because of a gentle complaint about your music from a poster who loves you. You're the most popular US skater on these boards. Bask in it. I don't think there's a soul here who doesn't like your skating and look forward to seeing your new programs. Don't worry, be happy!

gold12345

Medalist
:laugh: I love that Mirai commented. Skaters should lash out more often when they don't like what a poster says about them. But I'm actually surprised any of them would want to read here. I don't think there has ever been a music choice made by a skater that hasn't been criticized/questioned by at least one poster. :laugh: It's not that people are overly negative or mean here... It's just that when there is a large group of people (like on a message board), you are bound to find many different opinions and likes/dislikes, no matter how great a skater's music choice may be. So, if you are reading this thread again, don't worry about it, Mirai. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Wow, not the impression I wanted to give Mirai! I love her and hope that she realizes I only want the best for her. I think we have have to be a little caref now of what we say on this forum! Skaters are lurking!

and you all wonder why we crack down on what we do in teh guidelines :laugh:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The first "proof" I came across was when Jenny Kirk wrote in her blog that she was a lurker at FSU.

Well, if skaters want to lurk over at FSUniverse, I have one piece of advice for them.

............ Never, never click on a thread with the word "package" in the title. :eek:

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Re: 2010-2011 Season Programs! All Disciplines

I dunno, I suppose it's giving the masses what they want, but I want to see her develop a bit more range. Does she have to perform to gentle flowing paino music EVERY year, least her fans rise up in protest like they did when she was a bit more adventurous last year? Hmm, I seem to be among the distinct minority that liked The Bells of Moscow, but I think Mao should really avoid being typecast! Then again, perhaps the SP will be different and extend her artistically. I listened to the piece, can't say I'm a fan right away, but a lot will depend on how the music is cut.

Also, re: the exhibition music, honestly, MORE Chopin??? Isn't this like the fourth time she has chosen Chopin music? Honey, it's time to move on! Who wants to be a one trick pony?

Well...What I learned from her last selection is challenge for both pieces is too risky.
So if she wants,she should make challenge either music a season.
I mean there're lots she suited such as Ravel’s and Smetana's and ballet one. I guess she could skate to it with different expression. That's one way she showed her improvement per a year.

Anyway,since It has passed two seasons since she used the kind of music,clair de lune
So we must find out her musicality changes over the years. Can't wait!

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I think immediately of this piece. Maybe she can do a Triple Axel out of a long spread eagle like he does.

My personal prefrence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXkncOJyUTs&feature=related

Anything Katia & Sergie skated to seemed to work. Ilia & Tatiana did a good job also.

I always wondered how the choreography of Tamara Moskvina would translate into singles skating.
Sasha, this music and Tamara would be brilliant.
Mao, not so bad either.

berrycute

On the Ice

Well, certainly skaters aren't fairies. They have a right to get upset if they want to. But I understand Tinymavy's intentions. Apparently, Mirai got the wrong signal.

Yeah, but I think it was a pretty big overreation, she sounds like she cannot take even very constructive criticism, which ironically makes her seem more immature!

camion

On the Ice

Haha! I would be so happy if I knew a skater I admired responded to a remark I've made. I don't think anyone here should feel the need to filter his/her opinions- regardless if the skaters themselves do actually lurk through these forums. Some posters here are just plain petty & post mean-spirited things that I don't think are right or justified. But I've seen Tinymavy15 comments in the past and I think they are very sound. What you dished out was simple constructive criticism. How Mirai interprets it or regards/disregards it is totally up to her, but what's the point of a forum if we can't discuss our own opinions?

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight

Yeah, but I think it was a pretty big overreation, she sounds like she cannot take even very constructive criticism, which ironically makes her seem more immature!

Pretty sure she was just being sassy, as per usual. I mean, thats why we love her right? ;)

Wrlmy

Medalist

Wow I'm thrilled by Mao's choices. I remember suggesting Chopin Balade for her couple years ago, and my dream is coming true!!!
"Goldenskate lady" is just priceless. LOL

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Wow, not the impression I wanted to give Mirai! I love her and hope that she realizes I only want the best for her. I think we have have to be a little careful now of what we say on this forum! Skaters are lurking!

We shouldn't be careful at all. We should be as critical as possible. If you want to work in show biz, you better get used to it. And if you're real competitor, you'll listen to good advice and also prove naysayers wrong.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

The first "proof" I came across was when Jenny Kirk wrote in her blog that she was a lurker at FSU. I don't remember her mentioning GS but it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume she's been here, too. I think she also pointed out that other skaters sneak a peak at the boards, but didn't mention any names.

Nagasu also said earlier in some interview that she knew what people were saying about her at the forums around Olys time, that they were counting her out (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Mirai ;) )

I don't think people were counting Mirai out for the Olympic team....Caroline, yes, even Alissa maybe yes, but not Mirai. She was a bit of the underdog, but I don't think anyone doubted she could make the team. Most people on this forum are big fans of Mirai anyways. Plus, after improving at SC after having a rough go of it in China, I think people were curious about her and really started to think that she had a good shot at the Olympic team, if she could fix big issues like she did in a few weeks, in a few months I think most people thought she could maybe be back on track and kick butt. I mean, she did win the US title at age 14. Plus it's not like Caroline who's last memory before nationals was her scoring 77 in the FS at Skate Canada, things like that can throw people off, but Mirai was pretty solid at Canada.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight

Sarah and Drew posted more music news in their latest blog entry. Here's the relevant music part from their entry:

Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig have chosen "The Mask of Zorro" for their new short program. (I love this choice for them!)

Felicia Zhang and Taylor Toth will be skating to "Claire de Lune" for their short program, choreographed by Tim Murphy. Irina Romanova choreographed their long program, to "Miss Saigon."

Jeremy Ten is keeping last year's long program to "Queen Symphony" although he says he and David Wilson have re-choreographed the entire program.

Cindy Stewart choreographed Amanda Dobbs' new short program to "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and re-choreographed her long program, last year's "Concierto de Aranjuez." Dobbs and her pairs partner Joseph Jacobsen will be keeping last year's short program, and Renée Roca has choreographed a new long program for them, to "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Richard Dornbush told us he will be keeping his short program, "Elena," by the Brian Setzer Orchestra. His new long program will be to music from the movie Sherlock Holmes; both programs were choreographed by Cindy Stewart.