Thread: Belbin & Agosto Retire From Competitive Skating

Hybrid View

Down With It

News Belbin & Agosto Retire From Competitive Skating

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...726&type=media

(6/10/10) - Ice dancers Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, the 2006 Olympic silver medalists and five-time U.S. champions, announced today their retirement from competitive skating after more than a decade of international competition.

"We have accomplished and surpassed so many of our goals, from participating in two Olympic Games to pushing ourselves and developing our skills in this sport we love so much," Belbin said. "We feel we can move on from our competitive careers without regret."

[snip]

The team recently completed the 2010 Smucker's Stars on Ice tour and plans on continuing to skate together professionally.

"Giving back to this sport and everyone who has supported us will remain a top priority for us far beyond our time on the ice," Belbin said.

I'll miss them so much! Bye, Tanith and Ben!

The announcement comes as no surprise, but it is still bittersweet. Thankfully they are not retiring fully and so we will still.get to enjoy their skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    The announcement comes as no surprise, but it is still bittersweet. Thankfully they are not retiring fully and so we will still.get to enjoy their skating.
    Amen to that. I have such mixed feelings about Ice Dancing - but must admit I look forward to seeing B/A skate anytime, anywhere.........and they have done so much for ice dancing in the USA.

Ben and Tanith have been a class act throughout their career and could have not been better representatives for US figure skating. I will miss Ben's big smile and upbeat personality and Tanith's beauty and charm on and off the ice. Wishing them both happiness and success in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Amen to that. I have such mixed feelings about Ice Dancing - but must admit I look forward to seeing B/A skate anytime, anywhere.........and they have done so much for ice dancing in the USA.
    ice dance is awesome. Its becoming far easier to understand the more I watchit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ice dance is awesome. Its becoming far easier to understand the more I watchit.
    I agree and always like watching it.
    But since you have gone forward in your knowledge can you explain why I get a bad feeling thinking about D/S - and their Olympic Bronze medal. For that matter I thought it was dubious when they won the WC in '09.

Little things like that make me think DWTS and Olympic Ice Dancing as being on the same level. I enjoy them both but consider neither a true competitive sport.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-10-2010 at 05:47 PM.