Belbin & Agosto Retire From Competitive Skating | Golden Skate

Belbin & Agosto Retire From Competitive Skating

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=44726&type=media

(6/10/10) - Ice dancers Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, the 2006 Olympic silver medalists and five-time U.S. champions, announced today their retirement from competitive skating after more than a decade of international competition.

"We have accomplished and surpassed so many of our goals, from participating in two Olympic Games to pushing ourselves and developing our skills in this sport we love so much," Belbin said. "We feel we can move on from our competitive careers without regret."

[snip]

The team recently completed the 2010 Smucker's Stars on Ice tour and plans on continuing to skate together professionally.

"Giving back to this sport and everyone who has supported us will remain a top priority for us far beyond our time on the ice," Belbin said.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The announcement comes as no surprise, but it is still bittersweet. Thankfully they are not retiring fully and so we will still.get to enjoy their skating.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The announcement comes as no surprise, but it is still bittersweet. Thankfully they are not retiring fully and so we will still.get to enjoy their skating.

Amen to that. I have such mixed feelings about Ice Dancing - but must admit I look forward to seeing B/A skate anytime, anywhere.........and they have done so much for ice dancing in the USA.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Ben and Tanith have been a class act throughout their career and could have not been better representatives for US figure skating. I will miss Ben's big smile and upbeat personality and Tanith's beauty and charm on and off the ice. Wishing them both happiness and success in the future.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Amen to that. I have such mixed feelings about Ice Dancing - but must admit I look forward to seeing B/A skate anytime, anywhere.........and they have done so much for ice dancing in the USA.

ice dance is awesome. Its becoming far easier to understand the more I watchit.

janetfan

Match Penalty
ice dance is awesome. Its becoming far easier to understand the more I watchit.

I agree and always like watching it.
But since you have gone forward in your knowledge can you explain why I get a bad feeling thinking about D/S - and their Olympic Bronze medal. For that matter I thought it was dubious when they won the WC in '09. :disagree:

Little things like that make me think DWTS and Olympic Ice Dancing as being on the same level. I enjoy them both but consider neither a true competitive sport.

Last edited:

princess9

On the Ice
Why would politics as usual surprise you, JF? Their aboriginal costume was enough to make anyone get a bad feeling.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Why would politics as usual surprise you, JF? Their aboriginal costume was enough to make anyone get a bad feeling.

To tell you the truth I was willing to give D/S the benefit of the doubt on their "Aboriginal Nightmare" program. I have no reason to doubt that they are both nice people who got caught up in a cultural/PC situation.

I can't overlook the fact that they are a team skating with a big injury problem. I don't blame them for using the ropes to cheat since they were under alot of pressure to medal and had no choice. They simply can't compete with the best teams anymore.

I do think it is a big joke that they were allowed to cheat and we know who helped them get away with it.

Sorry, but stuff like this goes on forever in Ice Dancing. I agree with Hersh - it is not a sport.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
A sad day in U.S Ice Dance and figure skating in general. I think we all knew this was coming, but it is sad to have it official. Tanith and Ben were robbed in their last two seasons and it is a pity their career ended on such a low note. They have done so much for US ice dance, Marlie owe them a big debt.

pista04

On the Ice
A sad day in U.S Ice Dance and figure skating in general. I think we all knew this was coming, but it is sad to have it official. Tanith and Ben were robbed in their last two seasons and it is a pity their career ended on such a low note. They have done so much for US Ice Dancing.

Could not have ever said it better. =]

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
A sad day in U.S Ice Dance and figure skating in general. I think we all knew this was coming, but it is sad to have it official. Tanith and Ben were robbed in their last two seasons and it is a pity their career ended on such a low note. They have done so much for US ice dance, Marlie owe them a big debt.

Is it unrealistic to think Tan and Ben might have continued if in their hearts they thought it was even close to fair?

I mean let's look at this like it was our own lives.......

Who would care to continue when a crippled, cheating team beats you :think: :think:

Last edited:
This is sad. They've never been my favorite team but the favoring of D/S was so blatant the past two seasons that I really hoped they would come back and fight. All the best to you, Tanith and Ben! Congratulations on your stellar career together!

R.D.

Record Breaker
US Ice Dancing owes them big. They almost single-handedly thrust Ice Dance into the spotlight here during Torino. Raised the bar too. Time to pass that torch.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
True, but one must save some of the kudos for that feat for Shpilband and Zueva, who were their coaches and choreographers during their career.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'll miss Tanith and Ben. They really got me interested in Ice Dance. Hope the future is bright for them...whatever they decide to do.

Gumdrops

Rinkside
They're my faves and I'll definitely miss them. I only wish they could've gotten a major title. I think they should've won Worlds in 2009, but oh well, can't change the past.

I hope we'll see them do more commentating.

They really did a lot for US dance, opened a lot of doors. I only hope they'll get the credit and respect that they deserve eventually.

pista04

On the Ice
In addition to my earlier statement...this brings up a "what if" question: What if they had never left Shpil/Zueva? It's sad to say, but their departure from Canton was the beginning, for me atleast, of them losing that spark they had and showed in their 2006 Olympic OD as well as in Amelie.