Kwan splits with Ference? | Golden Skate

Kwan splits with Ference?

Bynx

On the Ice
This summer, the former first-round pick split up with his girlfriend. Now he's become a routine healthy scratch. Bitter doesn't begin to describe it.

"Sometimes the ball rolls your way, sometimes it doesn't," Ference said, describing his latest situation.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/1119coyotes1119.html

It doesn't mention Michelle's name but
I think it is safe to assume it's MK.

The basis of the article is about is lack of recent playing time
and his frustrations.

Last edited:

NorthernLite

On the Ice
I thought I read she was seen hanging out in Phoenix recently. I assumed she was visiting him. But this sure sounds definite.

Mathman, Michelle's on the market again. :D

nymkfan51

Medalist
I think that article about Michelle being in Phoenix was actually referring to an August time period I believe.

Hopefully MK is okay with this ... I just know there's someone even better out there for her ...

Mathman?

N

nthuz

I am not a hockey fan...what do they mean by "a healthy scratch"?

nymkfan51

Medalist
What that means is he won't be in uniform and available to play that game ... and not because of an injury. So they are choosing to not play him.

Hockey teams can only suit up a certain number of players for each game, and they usually carry extra players on their roster.

curious

Final Flight
they looked more like friends than a couple. I'm sure she is okay and ready to kick butt at nationals and worlds.

MasterF

Rinkside
Rumors ONly

I was at a coaches party two months ago and it was being said that she was dating none other than Mr. Williams himself. I took it to be true because these coaches are up there. THEN AGAIN IT COULD BE ONLY SPECULATION.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Re: Rumors ONly

MasterF said:
I was at a coaches party two months ago and it was being said that she was dating none other than Mr. Williams himself. I took it to be true because these coaches are up there. THEN AGAIN IT COULD BE ONLY SPECULATION.
Oh my oh my ... perhaps this should be called "As The Skate Blade Turns."

Pookie

Final Flight
I think Michelle and Scott would make a nice couple. :) She and Mathman would be better, of course, but unfortunately we can't have everything. . . . ;)

Bynx

On the Ice
Re: Re: Rumors ONly

Ogre Mage said:
Oh my oh my ... perhaps this should be called "As The Skate Blade Turns."

:laugh:

Hmm...Maybe Michelle and Scott were getting closer and Brad got jealous as the distance was a strain in itself on the relationship. He and Michelle had a bitter split and it only adds to the turmoil of his professional life. Meanwhile, as rumors circulate around the skating world than Kwan and Williams are an item others try to cause trouble by reporting them to the USFSA as it is a rule violation of relationship between coach and student. Only thing is, the USFSA doesn't want to do anything to spite Kwan or anyone associated with her as she's the primary draw for figure skating in the states. All of this causes clashes within the organization as Kwan is being giving preferential treatment.

I wonder if Cohen isn't somehow involved?
Report Kwan's relationship and cause her headaches and such going into nationals and worlds.;)

:laugh:

lovespirals

Rinkside
Re: Rumors ONly

MasterF said:

Hmmmm, very interesting.....:\

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Color me surprised! They seemed to have a good relationship. Oh well.

That coaches thing is interesting but I'll take it with a grain of salt right now, not because I think anybody is lying, but because the summer after the Olympics, the coaches (and judges) "up there" were sure of the fact that Kwan was going to retire because she was intimidated by the competition presented by Hughes and Cohen. Plus, I've heard even crazier things from people supposedly "in the know".

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Hmm, very interesting! Can't say I'm surprised. Ever since Michelle hired Scott as her coach, I've wondered how Brad Ference felt about it. It can't have been easy for him, considering what a good-looking man Scott is, plus the fact that Scott's single.

Maybe this explains Michelle's sub-par performance at the October competition. It sounds like she's been distracted with a lot of off-ice drama. I hope she's able to get her focus back before Nationals and Worlds. Could be tough, especially if there are legal matters going on with the USFSA. Seems like the simplest solution to that would be to hire another coach, at least nominally. That way, she'd solve the legal issue, but she could still work with Scott and he could still accompany her to competitions (as Lisa Weiss does with Michael).

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Is there a rule against skater/coach relationships? If so is it a USFSA or ISU rule? What about Sasha Zhulin who coaches his wife Tatiana?

Piel

Well, the main and only thing is Michelle's happiness. Brad's, too, but he was with her for two years so he shouldn't be greedy. Even so, breaking up is always hard on the emotions, even when you part in friendship. Brad was Michelle's first and only boyfriend. Being home tutored, Michelle did not have the usual opportunities for dating and social interaction that most teenagers do, so I am sure that she will always look at her time with Brad with fondness.

Last year, when Michelle skated, as it seemed to me, with a new maturity and emotional depth, this made me hope that her personal life too was bringing her an ever deeper contentment. This Fall, she has seemed so happy, jetting off to Hong Kong, attending movie premiers, making appearances for charitable causes... A new boyfriend? That's great! Romance makes the world go round, why shouldn't Michelle have her share? It's pretty hard to enforce rules about coaches and students when both are in their majority.

Mathman

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Piel said:
Is there a rule against skater/coach relationships? If so is it a USFSA or ISU rule?
I think there is a rule against skater/coach relationships, even if both are adults. There is a coach who just got permanently banned from the USFSA because she had a relationship with her legal-age student, who lived with her and husband. They are also suspending her husband because he was filing divorce papers instead of reporting them to the USFSA.