Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: Kimmie news?

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Not really sexism here, more about protecting young female growing bodies from injury.Women amd men are equal but different in many ways.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Not really sexism here, more about protecting young female growing bodies from injury.Women amd men are equal but different in many ways.
    Oh yeah, because Mao Asada and Miki Ando totally look like men ? Give me a break....

  3. #18
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    394
    I'm not sure that Kimmie injuries are all caused by repetitive jump training. Don't have any links to post, but I think she had a training accident last year which caused a severe knee injury. What I remember is that she was setting up for a jump and a younger less experienced skater cut her off and Kimmie fell hard on her knee trying to abort the jump. Until that happened, I thought she would be going to Regionals or a GP assignment. A video had been posted of her working with a dance coach to better use her arms and connect more with the audience and she was looking good.

    I wish her the best.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Kimmie takes the plunge for Special Olympics.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT3DnEaO7YI

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,105
    I would like to see Kimmie on competitive ice again if she were, indeed, competitive but it would be heartbreaking for me to see her if she were far below her old form technically. However, speaking of the technique, is Kimmie one who, based on her previous form, might be very prone to getting the UR and/or edge calls? I'm starting to get hazy on it and I don't have the computer power to easily look up old protocols, but wasn't she a flutzer or lipper? Or am I misremembering?

  6. #21
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    What I remember is that she was setting up for a jump and a younger less experienced skater cut her off and Kimmie fell hard on her knee trying to abort the jump.
    Yes, that's what she said. Apparently that was the injury that killed her Oly run. And while fanboys (and girls) were bickering that she should have gotten a free pass to Nationals, she was tweeting around that time that some jumps were still painful. She couldn't have gone anyway

  7. #22
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,389
    I think it was less injuries and more the ridiculously strict underrotation calls that did her in.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I think it was less injuries and more the ridiculously strict underrotation calls that did her in.
    Agreed, especially after her body changed. I mean Kimmie is clearly super fit, but looking at that clip of her in a swimsuit, she's built more like a soccer player or gymnast than a figure skater.

  9. #24
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Agreed, especially after her body changed. I mean Kimmie is clearly super fit, but looking at that clip of her in a swimsuit, she's built more like a soccer player or gymnast than a figure skater.
    Here's the thing. If I took a look at the build of someone like Joannie Rochette, figure skater sure wouldn't be my first guess. Or my second, for that matter. Or my third...or fourth...

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    208
    I don't think Kimmie's pride will allow her to leave... her last couple years have been horrible and I think she would like to leave on somewhat of a high note

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Here's the thing. If I took a look at the build of someone like Joannie Rochette, figure skater sure wouldn't be my first guess. Or my second, for that matter. Or my third...or fourth...
    Fair point, although Joannie is very petite and small boned, a very compact build. Kimmie is taller with a bigger frame. I mean people of all builds can figure skate, it's just that some are probably much more prone to injuries than others. It might not be a coincidence that thin asian skaters are dominating ladies figure skating in recent years.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    I think I totally miss your point silverlake about Ando, Asada.

    Back to Meissner. She is out of shape and not thin due to a bad knee injury and her hip injury. And yes, her body changed. But... she , if skating and training several hours a day would be thinner. She obviously can't do it. Maybe those looking for other things to say have no idea what a knee injury like she had do to your triple jumps. And her hip. There is a reason why Tara retired from SOI at 19. This is a dangerous and brutal sport for the top competitors of either sex who try to keep top technical content. And it only takes one chronic, nagging injury from one accident to take you out. We lose promising people every year.

    Shizuka Arakawa was hailed as a true ladies champion. Look at the body she had when she was doing 3x3x3's. Strong, muscular, curvy. Look at her now. She is a stick. Why? Who is telling her she needs to be so thin? I look at her and see eating disorder. It is rampant.

    I find it laughable tho when Joannie is not "looking" like a figureskater. A lot of different body types, male and female do well, though the trend is thinner and shorter for the most part. It's sad to hear that Kim is hungry all the time or that Plush wants to be a thinner skater.

    Remember TV adds 10 lbs. This isn't ballet and even in ballet there are great dancers who would never be hired by Ballanchine when alive. Nevertheless, they succeed.

  13. #28
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post

    Back to Meissner. She is out of shape and not thin due to a bad knee injury and her hip injury. And yes, her body changed. But... she , if skating and training several hours a day would be thinner.
    Out of Olympic shape, perhaps. But by everyday standards there is NO QUESTION that she is staying fit, like most other former competitors. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,571
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Shizuka Arakawa was hailed as a true ladies champion. Look at the body she had when she was doing 3x3x3's. Strong, muscular, curvy. Look at her now. She is a stick. Why? Who is telling her she needs to be so thin? I look at her and see eating disorder. It is rampant.
    As I just watched Arakawa´s 2006 Olympic freeskate and a 2010 show performance it seems to me that she has pretty much kept the same body type she had already in 2006.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    I think I totally miss your point silverlake about Ando, Asada.

    Back to Meissner. She is out of shape and not thin due to a bad knee injury and her hip injury. And yes, her body changed. But... she , if skating and training several hours a day would be thinner. She obviously can't do it. Maybe those looking for other things to say have no idea what a knee injury like she had do to your triple jumps. And her hip. There is a reason why Tara retired from SOI at 19. This is a dangerous and brutal sport for the top competitors of either sex who try to keep top technical content. And it only takes one chronic, nagging injury from one accident to take you out. We lose promising people every year.

    Shizuka Arakawa was hailed as a true ladies champion. Look at the body she had when she was doing 3x3x3's. Strong, muscular, curvy. Look at her now. She is a stick. Why? Who is telling her she needs to be so thin? I look at her and see eating disorder. It is rampant.

    I find it laughable tho when Joannie is not "looking" like a figureskater. A lot of different body types, male and female do well, though the trend is thinner and shorter for the most part. It's sad to hear that Kim is hungry all the time or that Plush wants to be a thinner skater.

    Remember TV adds 10 lbs. This isn't ballet and even in ballet there are great dancers who would never be hired by Ballanchine when alive. Nevertheless, they succeed.
    Kimmie isn't out of shape though, she doesn't have any fat on her body. I'm more just saying that she has big bones, a medium frame, and muscles that are very visible and bulkier as opposed to super lean - hence saying why she looks more like the typical soccer player or gymnast. It doesn't have anything to do with her being out of shape, she has always looked totally in shape, and commentators a couple years ago even said she looked too muscular and that may have messed up the timing of her jumps.

    Ando and Asada are thin and asian, but very feminine, and capable of 4s and 3a. That alone proves that those jumps aren't just for men or for "butchy" women like some people consider Tonya Harding to be. Mao and Miki most definitely do not look like men, or little boys, or anything like that.

    And Shizuka had hips but she was always super thin, she was maybe curvy in the figure skating world but not by the standards of the normal world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •