Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kimmie news?

Custom Title
    Asada and Ando are one injury away from retirement. Yes, they are jumpers but how long can they do this consistently? Skaters have a short shelf life at the top. I really don't believe women should train quads. There is so much else I like to see besides a jump phenom when it comes to ladies but that's just IMO and I'm sure many fans and many elite skaters disagree. They want to win and that means pushing the envelope technically while being beautiful and graceful. What expectations we have of these girls/women!

I think that women of all sizes can be "feminine." Tonya's body was not always bloated looking. I don't consider her to look "butchy" tho because she was at times wider and muscular looking. She was always trashed for her hair, costumes, background. It isn't her fault entirely that her 'presentation' was sub par. It takes a lot of money and Vera Wang to look like Nancy did. Button once announced she should lose 10 lbs! No one ever said that about Artur Demitriev! Nancy did not want her teeth capped but the Ice Princess police apparently wanted a more beautiful Nancy

The beauty pageant part of skating gets annoying. Is is a sport? We know it is but casual fans seem to think it isn't. Anyway, you guys are right about Kimmie. She is fine, just not Olympic type body she had when young.

Would Lucindah Ruh -thin- but too tall for triples even get noticed today? It seems the feminine ideal of beauty is evolving into something most women in the world cannot hope to achieve. This is bad in general and certainly for would be skaters.
    Last edited by princess9; 06-16-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Asada and Ando are one injury away from retirement. Yes, they are jumpers but how long can they do this consistently? Skaters have a short shelf life at the top. I really don't believe women should train quads. There is so much else I like to see besides a jump phenom when it comes to ladies but that's just IMO and I'm sure many fans and many elite skaters disagree. They want to win and that means pushing the envelope technically while being beautiful and graceful. What expectations we have of these girls/women!

It seems the feminine ideal of beauty is evolving into something most women in the world cannot hope to achieve. This is bad in general and certainly for would be skaters.
    I'm not so sure about that, but they do get injured a lot, maybe it has something to do with their dramatic weight loss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5oC...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo7TW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFIJ...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z80la1ON0

Miki especially, is she ok? Her body used to look way different than it does now.

And the feminine ideal has been out of wack for the last 80 years, it's nothing new. It does suck but most likely it will continue.

Custom Title
    I don't notice much change. Ando's costumes are very different. She is thinner but these two are clearly very healthy now anyway. They are very petite strong ladies. Given the jumping they do, they have been lucky but we certainly could see them end up like Kimmie. Ando has had a long career. Asada at just 19, I worry how long her body will take all the jumping. I hope they will be around a long time. Great champions and beautiful skating even without the big jumps.

I disagree Miki looks vastly different re body type. I do see a huge difference in Shizuka and wonder why she feels she must be so thin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    I don't notice much change. Ando's costumes are very different. She is thinner but these two are clearly very healthy now anyway. They are very petite strong ladies. Given the jumping they do, they have been lucky but we certainly could see them end up like Kimmie. Ando has had a long career. Asada at just 19, I worry how long her body will take all the jumping. I hope they will be around a long time. Great champions and beautiful skating even without the big jumps.

I disagree Miki looks vastly different re body type. I do see a huge difference in Shizuka and wonder why she feels she must be so thin.
    Maybe you're right. Ando looks much fitter now than before so it may mean her weight has not changed much. Mao mostly looks like her torso has lengthened since 2006 which may be why she looks thinner. I agree those two look healthy, but I know they have both openly admitted losing weight recently to help with the jumps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Agreed, especially after her body changed. I mean Kimmie is clearly super fit, but looking at that clip of her in a swimsuit, she's built more like a soccer player or gymnast than a figure skater.
    Kimmie looks fit to me. She only needs fast recovery and sufficient practices.

Go Kimmie!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTriple View Post
    And refined training technique to minimize likelihood of further injury...and lots of luck...and (brace for it) mass retirement among the top skaters.
    Last edited by R.D.; 06-17-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTriple View Post

Go Kimmie!
    That's what I said...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3