Kimmie news? | Golden Skate

Kimmie news?

princess9

On the Ice
Is there any news of how she is, will she compete? I was watching her competitions at 16 and marveling at her fast spins, and the control and fire she once had. I really was in her corner. Any news from her camp?

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Yeah, was just about to post that. She has resumed tweeting, I recommend anyone interested in Meissner updates to follow her (or bookmark that page).

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Arrrr!!!!

Tell Kimmie stop twitting. :mad:

Time to "Go skating", Kimmie! I don't care how you skate, Just skate pleeeeeeze! you are such a gorgeous skater... :cry:

princess9

On the Ice
Yes, I saw that. Kimmie is not in competition shape. What are her specific injuries at this point? I will check her page for info. I wish her well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, can't judge much off that video. That's assuming she's even coming back in the first place. Maybe she'll keep doing shows though. Honestly, I think the sport has passed her by. May be tough for her fans to swallow, but when it's time, you gotta call it.

Last edited:

princess9

On the Ice
RD, I will say you are missing something in my comment that I might elaborate further. Read all the posters posts I commented on. Is that sarcasm necessary? (not from you).

She (Kimmie) has a really significant knee injury as I'm catching up on. She had a phenomenal rise, and a major talent. I agree it is likely her time has passed due to the injuries that plague athletes that push the way she did. She has an impressive resume and it is a shame that she is another who we have lost to significant injury at a young age. I was hoping when her name came up that she was recovering. I don't think she will. It is very tough to have such big dreams derailed. Maybe she should not have trained the 3a's in her youth. Clearly, her best performances are over, barring miracle surgery. Too bad for us who really liked her skating. And her, of course.

Last edited:

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Well, can't judge much off that video. That's assuming she's even coming back in the first place. Maybe she'll keep doing shows though. Honestly, I think the sport has passed her by. May be tough for her fans to swallow, but when it's time, you gotta call it.

She is too young to retire yet.

Go Kimmie!

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD, I will say you are missing something in my comment that I might elaborate further. Read all the posters posts I commented on. Is that sarcasm necessary? (not from you).

You are responding to a part of my post that I've since removed...but now that you mention it- and I've seen the other poster's posts- I don't think it's sarcasm... :eek:

She (Kimmie) has a really significant knee injury as I'm catching up on. She had a phenomenal rise, and a major talent. I agree it is likely her time has passed due to the injuries that plague athletes that push the way she did. She has an impressive resume and it is a shame that she is another who we have lost to significant injury at a young age. I was hoping when her name came up that she was recovering. I don't think she will. It is very tough to have such big dreams derailed. Maybe she should not have trained the 3a's in her youth. Clearly, her best performances are over, barring miracle surgery. Too bad for us who really liked her skating. And her, of course.

OT but it does make me wonder how long Mao Asada will last with all those 3As and 3-3 attempts.

She is too young to retire yet.

If she wishes to continue skating then by all means do that. I'd never tell a skater to retire. But I will say when I think a skater's best days are behind her.

Last edited:

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
How I miss the days of Kimmie along with the lot of Asada and Kim on the podium....
Her injuries might be the main cause but I suspect something other than that might have factored in as well.

This is why I worry about skating when the jumps get too important. I understand that in the world of sports people always try to push the boundaries. But because girls mature earlier than guys, girls reach the top of the sport at a younger age. This makes them more vulnerable to injury, since they tend to practice advanced jumps intensely years earlier than their male counterparts. Kimmie isn't the first young girl to have what is seemingly a career-ending injury almost before she's out of high school. Tara Lipinski did, and Deanna Stellato. There will be more. It's what I don't like about the sport.

princess9

On the Ice
This is why I worry about skating when the jumps get too important. I understand that in the world of sports people always try to push the boundaries. But because girls mature earlier than guys, girls reach the top of the sport at a younger age. This makes them more vulnerable to injury, since they tend to practice advanced jumps intensely years earlier than their male counterparts. Kimmie isn't the first young girl to have what is seemingly a career-ending injury almost before she's out of high school. Tara Lipinski did, and Deanna Stellato. There will be more. It's what I don't like about the sport.

Exactly as many feel. I wish CoP was changed to make certain jumps/combinations not allowed for women. The rules for men and women should be different regarding jumping. Michelle Kwan would not have the career she did if she tried to match several skaters jump for jump. We would have missed some inspirational programs. She and Sasha seemed to have won without upping the technical ante.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
seems a bit sexist (and I don't throw that word around much, I do believe in gender roles to a degree) to suggest that the ladies shouldn't be allowed to advance technically and then let the men (who also suffer some pretty bad injuries, Plushenko, Goebel and Yagudin all come to mind... as do Eldredge and Browning) just blow their cartiledge instead.

either ban the darn 3A and Quads or don't... but don't say they're just for men.

princess9

On the Ice
Not really sexism here, more about protecting young female growing bodies from injury.Women amd men are equal but different in many ways.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure that Kimmie injuries are all caused by repetitive jump training. Don't have any links to post, but I think she had a training accident last year which caused a severe knee injury. What I remember is that she was setting up for a jump and a younger less experienced skater cut her off and Kimmie fell hard on her knee trying to abort the jump. Until that happened, I thought she would be going to Regionals or a GP assignment. A video had been posted of her working with a dance coach to better use her arms and connect more with the audience and she was looking good.

I wish her the best.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I would like to see Kimmie on competitive ice again if she were, indeed, competitive but it would be heartbreaking for me to see her if she were far below her old form technically. However, speaking of the technique, is Kimmie one who, based on her previous form, might be very prone to getting the UR and/or edge calls? I'm starting to get hazy on it and I don't have the computer power to easily look up old protocols, but wasn't she a flutzer or lipper? Or am I misremembering?