Kimmie news? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kimmie news?

R.D.

Record Breaker
What I remember is that she was setting up for a jump and a younger less experienced skater cut her off and Kimmie fell hard on her knee trying to abort the jump.

Yes, that's what she said. Apparently that was the injury that killed her Oly run. And while fanboys (and girls) were bickering that she should have gotten a free pass to Nationals, she was tweeting around that time that some jumps were still painful. She couldn't have gone anyway

Mafke

Medalist
I think it was less injuries and more the ridiculously strict underrotation calls that did her in.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think it was less injuries and more the ridiculously strict underrotation calls that did her in.

Agreed, especially after her body changed. I mean Kimmie is clearly super fit, but looking at that clip of her in a swimsuit, she's built more like a soccer player or gymnast than a figure skater.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Agreed, especially after her body changed. I mean Kimmie is clearly super fit, but looking at that clip of her in a swimsuit, she's built more like a soccer player or gymnast than a figure skater.

Here's the thing. If I took a look at the build of someone like Joannie Rochette, figure skater sure wouldn't be my first guess. Or my second, for that matter. Or my third...or fourth...

UM84

On the Ice
I don't think Kimmie's pride will allow her to leave... her last couple years have been horrible and I think she would like to leave on somewhat of a high note

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Here's the thing. If I took a look at the build of someone like Joannie Rochette, figure skater sure wouldn't be my first guess. Or my second, for that matter. Or my third...or fourth...

Fair point, although Joannie is very petite and small boned, a very compact build. Kimmie is taller with a bigger frame. I mean people of all builds can figure skate, it's just that some are probably much more prone to injuries than others. It might not be a coincidence that thin asian skaters are dominating ladies figure skating in recent years.

princess9

On the Ice
I think I totally miss your point silverlake about Ando, Asada.

Back to Meissner. She is out of shape and not thin due to a bad knee injury and her hip injury. And yes, her body changed. But... she , if skating and training several hours a day would be thinner. She obviously can't do it. Maybe those looking for other things to say have no idea what a knee injury like she had do to your triple jumps. And her hip. There is a reason why Tara retired from SOI at 19. This is a dangerous and brutal sport for the top competitors of either sex who try to keep top technical content. And it only takes one chronic, nagging injury from one accident to take you out. We lose promising people every year.

Shizuka Arakawa was hailed as a true ladies champion. Look at the body she had when she was doing 3x3x3's. Strong, muscular, curvy. Look at her now. She is a stick. Why? Who is telling her she needs to be so thin? I look at her and see eating disorder. It is rampant.

I find it laughable tho when Joannie is not "looking" like a figureskater. A lot of different body types, male and female do well, though the trend is thinner and shorter for the most part. It's sad to hear that Kim is hungry all the time or that Plush wants to be a thinner skater.

Remember TV adds 10 lbs. This isn't ballet and even in ballet there are great dancers who would never be hired by Ballanchine when alive. Nevertheless, they succeed.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Back to Meissner. She is out of shape and not thin due to a bad knee injury and her hip injury. And yes, her body changed. But... she , if skating and training several hours a day would be thinner.

Out of Olympic shape, perhaps. But by everyday standards there is NO QUESTION that she is staying fit, like most other former competitors. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Shizuka Arakawa was hailed as a true ladies champion. Look at the body she had when she was doing 3x3x3's. Strong, muscular, curvy. Look at her now. She is a stick. Why? Who is telling her she needs to be so thin? I look at her and see eating disorder. It is rampant.

As I just watched Arakawa´s 2006 Olympic freeskate and a 2010 show performance it seems to me that she has pretty much kept the same body type she had already in 2006.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think I totally miss your point silverlake about Ando, Asada.

Back to Meissner. She is out of shape and not thin due to a bad knee injury and her hip injury. And yes, her body changed. But... she , if skating and training several hours a day would be thinner. She obviously can't do it. Maybe those looking for other things to say have no idea what a knee injury like she had do to your triple jumps. And her hip. There is a reason why Tara retired from SOI at 19. This is a dangerous and brutal sport for the top competitors of either sex who try to keep top technical content. And it only takes one chronic, nagging injury from one accident to take you out. We lose promising people every year.

I find it laughable tho when Joannie is not "looking" like a figureskater. A lot of different body types, male and female do well, though the trend is thinner and shorter for the most part. It's sad to hear that Kim is hungry all the time or that Plush wants to be a thinner skater.

Remember TV adds 10 lbs. This isn't ballet and even in ballet there are great dancers who would never be hired by Ballanchine when alive. Nevertheless, they succeed.

Kimmie isn't out of shape though, she doesn't have any fat on her body. I'm more just saying that she has big bones, a medium frame, and muscles that are very visible and bulkier as opposed to super lean - hence saying why she looks more like the typical soccer player or gymnast. It doesn't have anything to do with her being out of shape, she has always looked totally in shape, and commentators a couple years ago even said she looked too muscular and that may have messed up the timing of her jumps.

Ando and Asada are thin and asian, but very feminine, and capable of 4s and 3a. That alone proves that those jumps aren't just for men or for "butchy" women like some people consider Tonya Harding to be. Mao and Miki most definitely do not look like men, or little boys, or anything like that.

And Shizuka had hips but she was always super thin, she was maybe curvy in the figure skating world but not by the standards of the normal world.

princess9

On the Ice
Asada and Ando are one injury away from retirement. Yes, they are jumpers but how long can they do this consistently? Skaters have a short shelf life at the top. I really don't believe women should train quads. There is so much else I like to see besides a jump phenom when it comes to ladies but that's just IMO and I'm sure many fans and many elite skaters disagree. They want to win and that means pushing the envelope technically while being beautiful and graceful. What expectations we have of these girls/women!

I think that women of all sizes can be "feminine." Tonya's body was not always bloated looking. I don't consider her to look "butchy" tho because she was at times wider and muscular looking. She was always trashed for her hair, costumes, background. It isn't her fault entirely that her 'presentation' was sub par. It takes a lot of money and Vera Wang to look like Nancy did. Button once announced she should lose 10 lbs! No one ever said that about Artur Demitriev! Nancy did not want her teeth capped but the Ice Princess police apparently wanted a more beautiful Nancy

The beauty pageant part of skating gets annoying. Is is a sport? We know it is but casual fans seem to think it isn't. Anyway, you guys are right about Kimmie. She is fine, just not Olympic type body she had when young.

Would Lucindah Ruh -thin- but too tall for triples even get noticed today? It seems the feminine ideal of beauty is evolving into something most women in the world cannot hope to achieve. This is bad in general and certainly for would be skaters.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Asada and Ando are one injury away from retirement. Yes, they are jumpers but how long can they do this consistently? Skaters have a short shelf life at the top. I really don't believe women should train quads. There is so much else I like to see besides a jump phenom when it comes to ladies but that's just IMO and I'm sure many fans and many elite skaters disagree. They want to win and that means pushing the envelope technically while being beautiful and graceful. What expectations we have of these girls/women!

It seems the feminine ideal of beauty is evolving into something most women in the world cannot hope to achieve. This is bad in general and certainly for would be skaters.

I'm not so sure about that, but they do get injured a lot, maybe it has something to do with their dramatic weight loss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5oCLcigKo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo7TWIS1ldc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFIJAEr-Jc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z80la1ON0

Miki especially, is she ok? Her body used to look way different than it does now.

And the feminine ideal has been out of wack for the last 80 years, it's nothing new. It does suck but most likely it will continue.

princess9

On the Ice
I don't notice much change. Ando's costumes are very different. She is thinner but these two are clearly very healthy now anyway. They are very petite strong ladies. Given the jumping they do, they have been lucky but we certainly could see them end up like Kimmie. Ando has had a long career. Asada at just 19, I worry how long her body will take all the jumping. I hope they will be around a long time. Great champions and beautiful skating even without the big jumps.

I disagree Miki looks vastly different re body type. I do see a huge difference in Shizuka and wonder why she feels she must be so thin.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't notice much change. Ando's costumes are very different. She is thinner but these two are clearly very healthy now anyway. They are very petite strong ladies. Given the jumping they do, they have been lucky but we certainly could see them end up like Kimmie. Ando has had a long career. Asada at just 19, I worry how long her body will take all the jumping. I hope they will be around a long time. Great champions and beautiful skating even without the big jumps.

I disagree Miki looks vastly different re body type. I do see a huge difference in Shizuka and wonder why she feels she must be so thin.

Maybe you're right. Ando looks much fitter now than before so it may mean her weight has not changed much. Mao mostly looks like her torso has lengthened since 2006 which may be why she looks thinner. I agree those two look healthy, but I know they have both openly admitted losing weight recently to help with the jumps.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

Kimmie looks fit to me. She only needs fast recovery and sufficient practices.

Go Kimmie!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kimmie looks fit to me. She only needs fast recovery and sufficient practices.

And refined training technique to minimize likelihood of further injury...and lots of luck...and (brace for it) mass retirement among the top skaters.

Last edited: