The ISU Congress is now over; New Communications are appearing. | Golden Skate

The ISU Congress is now over; New Communications are appearing.

sorcerer

Final Flight
According to Communication 1609 the Congress has started about 100 minutes ago.
If I understand correctly they must have determined by now whether the ""Urgent Matters" in Communication 1615 should be certified into the agenda.

Will we have any information from Barcelona on what's going on in the meetings?

SkateCanadaCEO's twittering has stopped since yesterday .... no other deligates twittering?

Non-deligates are now on Gaudi tour BTW .... Thursday it's Modernism tour.
Might be mistaken as an Architectural Congress, LOL.
Who pays for these sightseeings?

sorcerer

Final Flight
3A allowed instead of 2A for Ladies SP

According to Kyodo News London, the proposal to allow choosing 3A/2A in the SP for ladies has passed the ISU Congress.

However, the Japanese proposal on re-defining the bonus points was rejected.

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter/skate/figure/headlines/20100616-00000051-kyodo_sp-spo.html

Other than this, you can read on FSU that the French "Urgent Matter" proposal was also rejected, and also, surprisingly, the ISU Counsil proposal on Senior/Junior age limit was mostly rejected, if I understand correctly.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I heard that about the senior/jr age limits for pairs/dance did not pass and glad I am of it.

Novice age limits changed.

And the CD's were eliminated for both Jrs and Srs, about which I am totally gutted.

sorcerer

Final Flight
So the randam draw is finally gone!!!

And it wasn't ISU proposal but Canadian! And IIRC from several countries...

sorcerer

Final Flight
And replaced by what?
The Canadian proposal on Judging system that is reported to have passed the Congress was this:

164. CANADA, Figure
ISU JUDGING SYSTEM – GENERAL, paragraph f
DELETE paragraph f.
Reason: Note, this proposal is submitted with the assumption that the rules governing the random draw articulated in the 2008 rule book remain financial unviable.
To remove the secret-random draw process from the selection of officials.
The decision of the council to reduce the pool from which the random scoring judges are selected and to reduce the number of scoring judges has diminished the effectiveness of the secret-random draw and the mathematical stability of the calculated results at the most important competitions within the union.
It is proposed that the secret-random draw be eliminate to allow at least 9 scoring judges at all ISU Championships, ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Competitions and Final (Senior), the Olympic Winter Games and the Qualifying Competition for the Olympic Winter Games. ... (abbreviating the rest.)

dlgpffps

Final Flight
However, the Japanese proposal on re-defining the bonus points was rejected.

Hello, just making sure, you are referring to the urgent matter proposal, right? The 2-point bonus for the most technically rigorous program? I never thought that would get passed. It's not very practical. The French one is to scrap 4CC and Euros during an Olympic year, right? I'm glad that didn't pass. Is there more news from the front?

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The Canadian proposal on Judging system that is reported to have passed the Congress was this:

164. CANADA, Figure
ISU JUDGING SYSTEM – GENERAL, paragraph f
DELETE paragraph f.
Reason: Note, this proposal is submitted with the assumption that the rules governing the random draw articulated in the 2008 rule book remain financial unviable.
To remove the secret-random draw process from the selection of officials.

I have a proposal. Throw out the results of the crooked judges, and just keep the results of the honest ones. :laugh:

sorcerer

Final Flight
Hello, just making sure, you are referring to the urgent matter proposal, right? The 2-point bonus for the most technically rigorous program? I never thought that would get passed. It's not very practical. The French one is to scrap 4CC and Euros during an Olympic year, right? I'm glad that didn't pass. Is there more news from the front?
Yes to 2 questions.
I'm sure there are posters here that have some sort of access to faster information on what's going on in Barcelona. I thought this thread would draw such news in, but already we'll get some ISU press release today, won't we?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I agree. The new Short Dance seems to incorporate the worst features of the CD and the OD :eek:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
A summay of the changes that passed is now up at the ISU website.

The qualification rounds are back (sort of ) for major championships. Now there will be a qualification event days before Euros/Worlds where the lowered ranked skaters will fight for a spot in the actual championship.
the number of skaters making it to the FP/FD has been reduced once again. :Cry: :cry:
CD are officialy history.
Spirals are no longer a required element for Ladies SP and only 1 step sequence for the Men's SP.
The random drawing of the judges scores is gone!! YAY!!!!

It's very interesting that the federations put their foot down and didn't approve the proposed Junior's Age restrictions to acces major events but they didn't mind the number of entries for these events being cut.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Sigh. No CDs for seniors I can handle, even understand if I twist my mind (doesn't really make sense, but whatever). No CD's for juniors makes about as much sense as selling sand to desert nomads.

Changing the number making the FP/FD makes no sense. Bravo!

Not changing the age restriction does make sense. It's logical to have overlap between juniors and seniors, and recognizing the difficulties in finding pairs that match (and are close enough in age not to have to sit out of competitions with a new change) suggests that keeping it the way it is is smart. So it's weird that they did it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Re: The ISU Congress now in procedure

Communication 1621 Ice Dance is out,
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1893
and I've had a chance to skim its 19 pages.

Here's the music limitations on the FD:

c) The music for Free Dance must be suitable for Ice Dance as a sport discipline and must have the following
characteristics:
i) The music must have an audible rhythmic beat and melody, or audible rhythmic beat alone, but not
melody alone, and may be vocal. The music may be without an audible rhythmic beat for up to 10
seconds at the beginning or end of the program and up to 10 seconds during the program.
ii) The music must have at least one change of tempo and/or expression. This change may be gradual or
immediate, but in either case it must be obvious.
iii) All music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates
an interesting, colourful, entertaining dance program with different moods or a building effect.
iv) The music must be suitable for the couple's skating skills and technical ability.
Free Dances that do not adhere to these guidelines will be severely penalized.

One thing that is comforting is the way the music deduction is to be enforced:

5. Rule 353 paragraph 1. n) ii) - Deductions for music, costume and props violations
- Violation of music restrictions (Free Dance) – 2.0;
- costume and prop violation – 1.0;
The Judges and Referee will press a button on their screen to apply the above mentioned deductions. It will be
decided by the majority of the Panel which includes all the Judges and the Referee and no deduction in case of a
50:50 split vote);
- part of the costume/decoration fall on the ice – 1.0. The Referee alone is responsible for this deduction.

That is, the over half the judges must find your music not "uplifting" or is not a foxtrot, if your paperwork claimed it is a foxtrot in the new short dance, for you to get a deduction.

Jumps (or throw jumps) of more than one (1) revolution or jumps of one (1) revolution skated at the same
time by both partners;
in the Short Dance.

Both D&W and V&M have used items that could look like throw jumps-the jump prohibitions are now expliciting extended to them.

Those that worry that the CD has been removed for juniors should note that 2 repetitions of the Viennese Waltz are required during the SD, so that the ability to repeat the pattern is being tested.

i) Required Elements:
The composition of the Short Dance in the season 2010/2011 will contain 5 Required Elements in total:
– 2 Required Elements in the Pattern Dance part:
Junior - 2 sequence of the Viennese Waltz performed one after the other will be considered as two Required
Elements (see paragraph 2 below);
Senior -1 sequence of the Golden Waltz is divided into 2 sections and each of these sections is considered as
one of the two Required Elements (see paragraph 2 below);

As a viewer who has not seen the program before, it may be hard at first to pick out when the CD section starts since the skaters are encouraged not to put the CD at the beginning of the program.

Note: Because the dance should be choreographed as an integrated program, and not 2 separate parts, the Pattern Dance part
can be placed anywhere in the program: the beginning, the middle, or the end. A dance that begins with the Pattern Dance
part, and then simply changes to the Creative part, will be considered choreographically inferior to a program which
integrates the 2 parts together in a seamless way.