Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will Joubert continue four more years?

Will Joubert continue four more years?

Just wondering.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Me too!

Custom Title
    AFAIK, he said he will continue until 2012 Words in Nice, France at least. And after that I guess it will depend on how he is skating and feeling, and he may decide to continue until 2014 or retire after the worlds in his home country.

Custom Title
    4 I don't know but based on his words probably definitely 2 more years. He'll be 30 for Sochi I think. Others have come back at 30 like Boitano, Eldridge, Stojko.

We see so many 30s among Olympians so it won't be a big deal as long as he stays healthy and remains cute and maintains good sponsors (All three factors seem to go hand-in-hand).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    4 I don't know but based on his words probably definitely 2 more years. He'll be 30 for Sochi I think. Others have come back at 30 like Boitano, Eldridge, Stojko.
    Yes, they came back, and the result was not a podium place. Would Joubert really need one more Olympics where it´s very unlikely that he will be on the podium? In men´s skating with the injuries because of the quad and other jumps 30 years is rather high. With pairs and ice dance it´s a bit different.
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-04-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    We see so many 30s among Olympians so it won't be a big deal as long as he stays healthy and remains cute and maintains good sponsors (All three factors seem to go hand-in-hand).
    I am sure spoisorships wont be a problem for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Yes, they came back, and the result was not a podium place. Would Joubert really need one more Olympics where it´s very unlikely what he will be on the podium? In men´s skating with the injuries because of the quad and other jumps 30 years is rather high. With pairs and ice dance it´s a bit different.
    It is more unlikely than likely but if does well at 2012 Worlds then who knows. But its really possible that Amodio woll be better than him by 2012 not to mention 2014.

I could see it happening. He seems really into competing. The way he pumps his fist when he lands a jump, and the stuff he says about the quad..
    I think he could still be on the podium in four more years.. Plushenko was! I don't think it's 'unlikely' for someone who has won world medals to be on the podium.

Custom Title
    Yes, Pkushenko was on the podium but he delivered a far better performance. I know we will not see a 30 year old Brian there. I hope not. His time is over. Amodio is the future for France at least at this point. Let's not forget that the judges were also generous with Plush. And given his laurels, his guts and longevity/fan base in the world I think he deserved their consideration. He can be so awesome. I really enjoyed many of his programs though I hated most of his costumes and the attitude of supremacy got thin at times. Brian Joubert was never in his league, I'm afraid.

Custom Title
    Latest news on Brian Joubert is that he and his coach, Laurent Depouilly have split. Depouilly initiated the split "for personal reasons", and Brian is to train somewhere other than France, this summer.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/dma...ous_filDMA.Htm

Custom Title
    He could. I don't anticipate Ponsero or Preaubert overtaking him any time soon and Amodio's good enough that two spots is pretty much guaranteed. The only thing in his way, I think, is injury. I don't know if he injures himself more than most, but quads take their toll.

Why shouldn't he skate another 4 years? He and only he can make that decision from his heart and from his brain. He is a good entertainer on skates for those who enjoy show skating but maybe his dad would want him to get a job not related to skating. Let's let Brian decide on that.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    When Plushenko said he would come back (finally..) the majority of people were screaming he would be too old at 27. I m glad he opened the way, and i guess 27 doesnt sound too old now, neither 30! So I wish Joubert keeps going until his heart say so, and this is the new info, Joubert will go for the summer to train in NA and search for a coach there. There are rumors about who his new coach might be, but are still rumors!
    Beginning next week, he will fly to Toronto to settle the details of his new programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    When Plushenko said he would come back (finally..) the majority of people were screaming he would be too old at 27. I m glad he opened the way, and i guess 27 doesnt sound too old now, neither 30! So I wish Joubert keeps going until his heart say so, and this is the new info, Joubert will go for the summer to train in NA and search for a coach there. There are rumors about who his new coach might be, but are still rumors!
    Beginning next week, he will fly to Toronto to settle the details of his new programs.
    According to the article you linked, there are some contradictions as to what leads to the break up between Depouilly and Joubert. FFSG suggests that Joubert would have been fine with Depouilly as his coach for two more years but that Depouilly himself chose to end the relationship. Depouilly said it has been previously agreed that he will care for Joubert until the end of the Torino World Championship and the extra month (after) was merely a time to give him a chance to think it through. Depouilly is ready to return to his hometown and doesn't believe Joubert would want to follow.

Why the discrepancy, I don't know. For Joubert to leave his hometown and go training abroad is a huge step - him who said that leaving Poitiers (his hometown) is a like a treason. Something must have changed his mind.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    He is getting old for competitive skating but he wouldn't be the first person to compete at 30.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast