Daisuke meets Japanese ballet star Tetsuya Kumakawa and asks advice | Golden Skate

Daisuke meets Japanese ballet star Tetsuya Kumakawa and asks advice

Ren

On the Ice
For the Daisuke fans (like me!), from kwantifiable:

http://kwantifiable.xanga.com/72867...e-from-japanese-ballet-star-tetsuya-kumakawa/

Really cool clip, with English (subtitle) dialogue balloons.

I have no idea which Japanese show he was on, but it seems the actual visit was done after the Vancouver Olys, because Dai's bronze medal gets mentioned. Daisuke seems a bit shy and awkward, but totally sweet. :love: He looked a little intimidated by Kumakawa's "radiance" (their words, not mine). Also much laughter over Dai's (non-existent) Ina Bauer (with token mention of Shizuka, of course). :biggrin:

Last edited:

Figga

Rinkside
This was really informative and entertaining to watch. Thanks! ^^ at the 8 revolutions part.

Ren

On the Ice
This was really informative and entertaining to watch. Thanks! ^^ at the 8 revolutions part.

Haha, you're welcome. Tetsuya-san sounds so confident about those eight revolutions, doesn't he? :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Dai looks very handsome on this vid and too cute!
I saw this vid last week and I was excited someone will do the eightruple on ice one day!:hb:

chloepoco

Medalist
Oh, I love that video! Kumakawa is a very handsome ballet dancer, and also has a lot of character!

Ren

On the Ice
Dai looks very handsome on this vid and too cute!
I saw this vid last week and I was excited someone will do the eightruple on ice one day!:hb:

Where did you see the video, seniorita? Maybe the site will provide some clues when the show actually aired and what its name/title is. As for the octuple, let's cross our fingers and hope we can see it in our lifetime. :) I conjecture it will come after a radical shift in technique and skating boot/blade technology (maybe even aerodynamic state-of-the-art skating suits..?). Perhaps it will be nudged along by Plushenko. :D

Ren

On the Ice
Oh, I love that video! Kumakawa is a very handsome ballet dancer, and also has a lot of character!

The subbers used the term "radiance". I keep picturing him glowing with sun-rays--and poor Daisuke having to wear sunglasses so he could withstand the onslaught. :laugh: I kept thinking that the nervous Dai utterly transforms himself on the ice, though, and emits his own kind of radiance to the audience and judges.

I also thought that Dai, Tetsuya-san and Stephane Lambiel should get together and compare notes, because Stephane has had/is still having some ballet training. :) He also has expressive arms and totally gives off that "ballet dancer" vibe, too. :love:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Loved the video. Dai is to cute for words. He reminds me so much of my favorite nephew Marco.
Thanks for sharing.

mot

On the Ice
The programme is called 'Kin-yobi no Suma-tachi e' - known as 'Kinsuma' for short, and if translated literally, 'For Those Sumas of Friday'. Not sure what it really means (though I'm Japanese!). A popular light entertainment show hosted by a Japanese pop star (in a navy hat & jacket to the left of Daisuke). It was aired on June 11. The shooting took place in the latter half of May, and Daisuke looks tanned there cos he had just been back from holiday.

And what Daisuke nearly left behind when leaving studio was his bronze medal - believe it or not!

BTW, Kumakawa was a principal at Royal Ballet, London, nicknamed Teddy (as Kuma means the bear in Japanese).

Ren

On the Ice
The programme is called 'Kin-yobi no Suma-tachi e' - known as 'Kinsuma' for short, and if translated literally, 'For Those Sumas of Friday'. Not sure what it really means (though I'm Japanese!). A popular light entertainment show hosted by a Japanese pop star (in a navy hat & jacket to the left of Daisuke). It was aired on June 11. The shooting took place in the latter half of May, and Daisuke looks tanned there cos he had just been back from holiday.

And what Daisuke nearly left behind when leaving studio was his bronze medal - believe it or not!

BTW, Kumakawa was a principal at Royal Ballet, London, nicknamed Teddy (as Kuma means the bear in Japanese).

Thanks for the info! I understand only a smattering of Japanese (thank you, anime subbers and manga scanlators! :biggrin:), so whoever translated the video had been very helpful.

Oh Daisuke, you're so incredible on the ice, how could you almost forget your medal? :laugh:

Ohoho. "Teddy"-san, is it? :biggrin: Wait, does the "kawa" (gawa?) in Kumakawa stand for "river"? So does his surname mean "bear river"? :)