Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: When will Fumie Suguri retire?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Does she realize her competitive prime ended almost 5 years ago now? I actually used to like her but her current plight is almost becoming embarassing.
    I didn't know much about Suguri nor ever liked her skating personally, but I have a great deal of respect to her, especially because of her passion. I certainly like her more now than in her prime, and in a way Suguri is, I think, pioneering a new territory of longevity that is marvelous to watch. I wish she compete well over the limit of psychological barrier, so that she can set an counterexample as opposed to a short span of lifetime in figure skating and bring as well cultural changes that encourages skaters to stay longer in the scene and facilitate healthier perspectives on figure skating career along the way.

She has my standing ovation. Go Suguri!

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    That would be a stupid rule.
    Of course it is, LOL. I only wrote it to express how useless it is to say someone should retire or someone lost joy in her skating, etc.
    Even when you can't see Fumie's joy of skating, she is enjoying the sport according to her words.
    Let not regret what's lost, let's hope the wonderful coming as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Hmm, no, that could deprive of us some truly great comebacks.
    ITA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    Are you serious??? Fumie still has the goods to contend with the top 10 in her own country, and Japan has plenty of quality skaters. Judges won't (or should not) purposely ding her because she can no longer compete as she once did in her peak. There is NO reason Fumie would get PCS marks in the 2's and 3's. Yes, she won't be 8's, but she is still a fast skater with good skating skills and the ability to present a nice performance. That counts for something.

The majority of top skaters skate for the chance to be in the top 10 at major competitions. Only a select few contend for the podium every time out. Fumie may be a long shot at podium now than she once was, but a top 10 is still realistic. I say keep going until YOU want to stop, Fumie!

P.S...Fumie has said as long as she receives enough endorsements to able to compete, she will. When she can no longer afford to fund her career, she will call it quits.

By major competitions if you mean a Worlds Fumie doesnt have a hope of ever making it to a Worlds again so we will never find out where she could still place. I doubt she would make top 10 though. The only way she could finish top 10 at this point is if she skated her best and others fell apart. That is what had to happen for her to even be top 10 at the 2009 Worlds in fact, but it would take even more for it to happen now.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    I only wrote it to express how useless it is to say someone should retire or someone lost joy in her skating, etc.
    The former statement is useless, the latter is not. The latter is called a critique; anyone who is COMPETING in a sport wants to win and can therefore use advice about what needs to be improved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    I think a lot of skaters think 24 is the age a woman should quit competing, while 30 year old men get lauded for coming back. Double standards in a man's world.
    Any of the men who competed in singles up to 30 were clearly past their best before date as amateur competitors by then too. Think of Eldredge and Stojko in SLC, Boitano in Lillehammer. And in the case of Boitano as a pro he was a phenom who had taken pro skating to a new level and almost unbeatable. As for how people viewed them I think many people said Stojko stayed far too long, and many have now said Boitano's comeback was pretty much a waste but atleast he was able to slide right back into his phenomenal pro career with ease. Eldredge people have been more kind towards, but that is probably because of his bronze at the 2001 Worlds and gold at the 2002 Nationals. He is a rare exception who achieved nearly similar success (considering he was never a frequent gold or dominant skater) at that age to his prime years, but he is just that, a rare exception. Butyrskaya is a women who didnt take so much heat competing up until 29 but that is since again she is a rare case of someone who was competitive still at that age. In most cases though singles skater of that age belong in the pros, if they want to continue skating that is, even the true greats such as Boitano with more talent than Fumie. Of course there could be those rare exceptions as I said, but it is clear by now Fumie is not one of them. She has tried for 5 years to see if she is one of them and she so clearly isnt.

She is well past her prime, has skating quality and reputation have gradually regressed since 2006. It is obvious by now she doesnt have even the tiniest chance of matching or bettering her top career achievements- 3 non gold World medals, 2 Olympic top 5s, and a Grand Prix final title. So what is the point of continuing and holding out false hope for something that isnt going to happen. How can a former mutli World medalist and contender be happy seeing herself continually drop in the ranks and not even be a contender of any sort anymore. I actually liked Fumie in the past, and would have liked to have seen her have a satisfying pro career or doing other things in the sport such as coaching, choreography, other avenues. If Jen Robinson can make a living as a pro skater so can Fumie. And if Sussie Wynne can make a career in skating so could Fumie.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The latter is called a critique; ...therefore use advice about what needs to be improved.
    There are many levels of "critique" and forgive me to say that IMO, subjectively pointing out negative aspects is the most easiest critique.
    If your post #11 was meant to be of any advice to Fumie, you could have ended your words with "I wish Fumie will do that" instead of "I wish Fumie had done that" so that she won't take it as bashing (like I got the impression), but encouragement. She reads English perfectly well you know.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Any of the men who competed in singles up to 30 were clearly past their best before date as amateur competitors by then too. Think of Eldredge and Stojko in SLC, Boitano in Lillehammer. And in the case of Boitano as a pro he was a phenom who had taken pro skating to a new level and almost unbeatable. As for how people viewed them I think many people said Stojko stayed far too long, and many have now said Boitano's comeback was pretty much a waste but atleast he was able to slide right back into his phenomenal pro career with ease. Eldredge people have been more kind towards, but that is probably because of his bronze at the 2001 Worlds and gold at the 2002 Nationals. He is a rare exception who achieved nearly similar success (considering he was never a frequent gold or dominant skater) at that age to his prime years, but he is just that, a rare exception. Butyrskaya is a women who didnt take so much heat competing up until 29 but that is since again she is a rare case of someone who was competitive still at that age. In most cases though singles skater of that age belong in the pros, if they want to continue skating that is, even the true greats such as Boitano with more talent than Fumie. Of course there could be those rare exceptions as I said, but it is clear by now Fumie is not one of them. She has tried for 5 years to see if she is one of them and she so clearly isnt.

She is well past her prime, has skating quality and reputation have gradually regressed since 2006. It is obvious by now she doesnt have even the tiniest chance of matching or bettering her top career achievements- 3 non gold World medals, 2 Olympic top 5s, and a Grand Prix final title. So what is the point of continuing and holding out false hope for something that isnt going to happen. How can a former mutli World medalist and contender be happy seeing herself continually drop in the ranks and not even be a contender of any sort anymore. I actually liked Fumie in the past, and would have liked to have seen her have a satisfying pro career or doing other things in the sport such as coaching, choreography, other avenues. If Jen Robinson can make a living as a pro skater so can Fumie. And if Sussie Wynne can make a career in skating so could Fumie.
    Closure. Perhaps closure for herself, even if she doesn't make it to Worlds.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Does she realize her competitive prime ended almost 5 years ago now? I actually used to like her but her current plight is almost becoming embarassing.
    Do we realize it is not of our business to comment if the athletes want to continue to do what they like and have invested during most of their lives, while we are judging it from our sofa eating pizza?

Am I too old to start skating?? who will decide it for me? (rhetorical question)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Do we realize it is not of our business to comment if the athletes want to continue to do what they like and have invested during most of their lives, while we are judging it from our sofa eating pizza?

Am I too old to start skating?? who will decide it for me? (rhetorical question)
    Whatever as fans of the sport we are entitled to have our opinions on things. Of course Suguri continuing to skate wont be dependent on what we think, but those of us who think it is ridiculous someone this washed up is insistent on staying amateur are still free to say so. And there are people who certainly can have control of whether she continues such as the Japanese federation and others who I suspect are going to run out of patience soon if they havent already. You will see.

Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    She'll retire when she wants to.

Amen! More power to Fumie!

Custom Title
    I'm not sure what to think here. If Fumie skates because she wants to, that's great. If she skates because she has no other opportunities ......... well, that's rather sad and unfortunate.

Trivia questions:

1. Rank these all-time great Japanese skaters in order of how many Japanese national Championships they won:

Miki Ando, Shizuka Arakawa, Mao Asada, Miwa Fukahara, Etsaka Inada, Midori Ito, Yukari Nakano, Akiko Suzuki, Yuka Sato, Emi Watanabe (Hint: Fumie has five. )

2. What Japanese male skater has more National Championships than any female? (Hint: his daughter has two as well -- I am not sure if his father also has one, in 1931-32?).

Custom Title
    If the competing still makes Suguri happy, I have nothing against her continuing. I wonder though where she will be competing? Will she have a place in Grand Prix series as she was not competing in 2010 Worlds or Olympics? (ETA: Now I notice that she appears on the ladies GP list).

Another matter that worries me, will she be able to place on the forum in Japan Nationals?
    Last edited by Jaana; 06-17-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    If the competing still makes Suguri happy, I have nothing against her continuing. I wonder though where she will be competing? Will she have a place in Grand Prix series as she was not competing in 2010 Worlds or Olympics?
    Suguri received 2 GP assignments - Skate Canada (she's been invited there many times in the past) and TEB. She's ranked #24 in the ISU World standings and #35 in Season Best scores list.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Suguri received 2 GP assignments - Skate Canada (she's been invited there many times in the past) and TEB. She's ranked #24 in the ISU World standings and #35 in Season Best scores list.
    Thanks, I noticed that before your posting and corrected the matter one minute earlier than your posting above, LOL.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast