grr big thighs | Golden Skate

grr big thighs

SugarCoated

Rinkside
Alrite whenever skating season starts up my thighs tend to get muscular. At home i do some wall sits/plies basic thigh workouts. Now i dont want huge massive bulky thighs but i need them to be strong.

is there any way i can build up lean muscle and decrease the size of my thigh instead of building up the muscle and adding inches? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
SugarCoated- Don't use heavy weights to strengthen. What you are doing should be fine, just don't add 10 lbs weights.

We should all be so lucky to have nice muscular legs:) I have to really push the heavier weights to get some type of bulk. I just have naturally lean muscles.

SugarCoated

Rinkside
but thats the thing im not using weights... see my thighs are 20.5 inches big and id LOVE them to be 19inches (maybe 18). Would running help.

btw im very jealous of your lean muscle! lol

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
What's another inch or two, as long as your legs look good? I remember when I had "olives" for knees and "toothpicks for legs (that is how my brother-in-law use to describe my legs-ouch!) Anyway I was always jealous of the girls that had muscle definition instead of toothpicks:laugh:

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
SugarCoated - my body type is such that I have a tendency to have short bulky thighs rather than long lean ones. The two things that I have found helpful are Pilates and to keep an eye on my weight.

Besides skating, I also play a lot of racquetball, and all that stop-and-start motion tends to bulk up my legs. With the Pilates, I found that the stretching and strengthening movements seemed to elongate my body and counteract all the tightness I developed from RB and skating. I really like the look of my legs now, which are strong and muscular, but with definition in the thighs and not just looking like Walter Peyton or other football players.

With the weight, SIGH, it's just a sad fact that being only 5'1", having a rather muscular build generally and a tendency to carry weight in my butt and thighs, well I just have to make sure that I don't allow the scale to creep up too high or I just get a stocky look to me.

Iceangel116

Spectator
well, to answer your question about running, yes, it can help take some of the bulkiness out of your legs. i have the same problem as you, my theighs are huge for my build, and i'm really short. but i've found that running takes some of the bulkiness out of my legs. the only side effect is that at first i found that i would get shin splits sometimes. but if you stretch before and afterwards really well and especially your shins, i think you should be fine. but dont worry, you're not the only person that has to deal with big thighs!!! hehe :)

*iceangel116*

N

nthuz

Unfortunately for people with the tendency toward thick muscle fibers in their legs, skating will make them bigger. The reason for this is the fact that the boots don't allow for complete flexation or extension of the foot. This in turn makes it difficult to use the lower leg muscles (calf) so the work of jumping is done by the glutes, hamstrings, and quads.